Holy moooooooo

Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Amanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud of
Red face Holy moooooooo

our visa 136 is taking for ever so I just thought focus on your life and let it sit in the background and do what it has to do. Decided to put house on market just to give us time to sell. We plan to go to Perth in Feb next year. Had nothing for 2 weeks so I though we are dooomed the market is so shocking. Well we had a viewing on Wed last week and they put full asking price in Thursday. We could be out in 6-8 wekks wooowwwwww I can't believe it. Our meds arrived Sydney on Friday gone and reading about the backlog seems i may be a while. We have had the most stressful time of our lives the last year, we are one step closer let's just hope the survey on the house is ok.
We have decided to take our 4 suitcases and get rid of the rest we wont own a thing I am totally petrified !

A xx
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:41 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holy moooooooo

Are you sure that you want to get rid of EVERYTHING...

Not even your kitchen equipment.. or a bedframe...

Please take some time to read through the threads about what others are taking with them...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1063568

Furniture is NOT cheap (average bed $2400 which is £1000)
We went on a reckie and I was, quite honestly horrified at the price of furniture, and kitchen equipment, not to mention the price of linens (sheets etc..)
The cost of taking an container is around £2500 for 20ft, which will fit the contents of an average 3 bed house. You don't have to take the a whole one either, you can have a share of it if you don't want to take quite everything!

Personally, I'm taking everything, and if it's a bit worn, I shall be buying new before I leave!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Amanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alipally

Please take some time to read through the threads about what others are taking with them...

We went on a reckie and I was, quite honestly horrified at the price of furniture, and kitchen equipment, not to mention the price of linens (sheets etc..)
The cost of taking an container is around £2500 for 20ft, which will fit the contents of an average 3 bed house. You don't have to take the a whole one either, you can have a share of it if you don't want to take quite everything!

Personally, I'm taking everything, and if it's a bit worn, I shall be buying new before I leave!
Thanks for your advice but yes we are leaving everything. We are only in our first house so do not have a lot of goods anyway. We have looked at the cost of shipping versus buying new out in Perth and its going to be far more cost effective having a trip to Ikea. We visited stores when were there last year and it actually worked out cheaper for the bits we would want. We are very minimilist anyway and hate clutter.We also plan to rent furnished for a year anyway. Its not like we have a house full of brand new expensive furniture. I do have a few bits of linen that were expensive so they will be coming with me for sure.

Thanks though good luck to

Amanda x
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alipally

who quoted you for a 20' container? can i have there number thats a really good price, thanks
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:23 am
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Amanda&Phil
Thanks for your advice but yes we are leaving everything. We are only in our first house so do not have a lot of goods anyway. We have looked at the cost of shipping versus buying new out in Perth and its going to be far more cost effective having a trip to Ikea. We visited stores when were there last year and it actually worked out cheaper for the bits we would want. We are very minimilist anyway and hate clutter.We also plan to rent furnished for a year anyway. Its not like we have a house full of brand new expensive furniture. I do have a few bits of linen that were expensive so they will be coming with me for sure.

Thanks though good luck to

Amanda x
Good on you Amanda!! Thats exactly what Im doing
4 suitcases, 2 kids and 1 hubby is all thats coming with me!!!
Why would I want to pay for 2nd hand furniture to be sent to the other side of the world It will be battered, and we may not have any where to put it when it gets there so pay for storage - more expense!

My friend sent me some newspapers from Adelaide - where we are heading, and funiture didnt look to be that expensive so think I'll take the risk!

Susan
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:37 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

I shared a container once, it was a nightmare. weeks of delay on each end due to paperwork gone MIA. I would never recommend sharing, you never really save a penny on this, but thats me.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Wink Re: Holy moooooooo

Originally Posted by sub
Good on you Amanda!! Thats exactly what Im doing
4 suitcases, 2 kids and 1 hubby is all thats coming with me!!!
Why would I want to pay for 2nd hand furniture to be sent to the other side of the world It will be battered, and we may not have any where to put it when it gets there so pay for storage - more expense!

My friend sent me some newspapers from Adelaide - where we are heading, and funiture didnt look to be that expensive so think I'll take the risk!

Susan
I have read alot of horror stories to about delays mould on items getting battered etc etc. I'ts eciting to think we r starting fresh, nerve racking yes but nothing a good glass of chardaonnay won't cure !!

A x