Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

After a Long absence, over 15 years, My wife and I and the two youngest kids, are taking the time to have over 8 weeks in England, from late may through to July (bonus two summers in a row). I keep forgotting to ask Flight centre the following questions.

Car Hire, Do I need an up to date english licence ? I've got an old Swansea one still in my possession, which says it is valid until circa 2028. Plus of course a full Vic licence that I've held since I arrived here. What license do I need ??? Is there a better value hire company than 1car1 ?

Is it Really True, that I dont need a Visa, As my Family and I will be travelling exclusively on Aussie Passports, I dont want to have to go to the expense of renewing and applying for British Passports, My wife can only get a Aussie Passport I think, anyway. I Intend to spend some time In spain and france and Italy, Will Aussie passports be ok for those countries.

To try and make a decent thread of this. What after the dutfill and happy reunion "hopefully" of the multitude of relies, I've promised to see. Would you most like to do.

One thing that is on my agenda, and even a suprise to myself, But I've never been there, and feel like I've missed out. Is a Quick trip to Blackpool, (It's handy to where my Parents now live In Prestatyn ) Say 3 or 4 Days, I think the kids would like the theme park, or funfair side of the place. I've heard It's got outrageous night life, and wouldn't mind a big dose of basic English Northern Culture. Plus As I will be mostly Travelling between Mkeynes And Crawley. Just standing on London Bridge, and surveying and taking in the ambience of the area, that must have changed so much since I crossed the thing daily, Back all those years ago.

Oh and I'm Really looking forward to a couple of Pub crawls Down the Old Kent road, With My Bermondsey cousins, Which they have promised (threatened??) To take me on. :scared:

After a long while away what would you most like to do, after the Relies ? I'd Appreciate the Ideas. .
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:55 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Holidaying, aka Visting the relies, In England.

Your in for a shock, thats why so many are leaving.
Blackpool well does have some good night life if your under 20 and hell bent on getting stoned.
Prestatyn well last time I went there decided not to bother again, and I only lived across the water.
London our old neighbours parents live there and say that getting spat at by the coloured's is a daily occurance. Seems whites no longer live in London and are now a minority.
Hope the holiday goes well, I want to go back in a few years but it will be to cringe at how more downhill it has gone, but will be combining it with a European trip as well, I may only do England for less than 7 days.

Jenny
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:20 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jensteve
London our old neighbours parents live there and say that getting spat at by the coloured's is a daily occurance. Seems whites no longer live in London and are now a minority.
Is this an ad for the BNP by any chance?

Anya.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:20 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
After a Long absence, over 15 years, My wife and I and the two youngest kids, are taking the time to have over 8 weeks in England, from late may through to July (bonus two summers in a row). I keep forgotting to ask Flight centre the following questions.

Car Hire, Do I need an up to date english licence ? I've got an old Swansea one still in my possession, which says it is valid until circa 2028. Plus of course a full Vic licence that I've held since I arrived here. What license do I need ??? Is there a better value hire company than 1car1 ?

Is it Really True, that I dont need a Visa, As my Family and I will be travelling exclusively on Aussie Passports, I dont want to have to go to the expense of renewing and applying for British Passports, My wife can only get a Aussie Passport I think, anyway. I Intend to spend some time In spain and france and Italy, Will Aussie passports be ok for those countries.

To try and make a decent thread of this. What after the dutfill and happy reunion "hopefully" of the multitude of relies, I've promised to see. Would you most like to do.

One thing that is on my agenda, and even a suprise to myself, But I've never been there, and feel like I've missed out. Is a Quick trip to Blackpool, (It's handy to where my Parents now live In Prestatyn ) Say 3 or 4 Days, I think the kids would like the theme park, or funfair side of the place. I've heard It's got outrageous night life, and wouldn't mind a big dose of basic English Northern Culture. Plus As I will be mostly Travelling between Mkeynes And Crawley. Just standing on London Bridge, and surveying and taking in the ambience of the area, that must have changed so much since I crossed the thing daily, Back all those years ago.

Oh and I'm Really looking forward to a couple of Pub crawls Down the Old Kent road, With My Bermondsey cousins, Which they have promised (threatened??) To take me on. :scared:

After a long while away what would you most like to do, after the Relies ? I'd Appreciate the Ideas. .
From what I recall of Blackpool, I certainly wouldnt be putting that high on my list, Id visit Brighton over it, and certainly not for more than a day trip.

Other places would be Cornwall, (Newquay,out of season its not too tacky, and the coast line around there is lovely also St Ives, Perranporth, Portreath etc.
Id try and catch Football (at Highbury of course ) Rugby at Twickers if there's any on, and Wimbledon if its started whilst your there.
Covent Garden and surrounds, for shopping, eating, drinking etc.
A trip down the Thames to Richmond (for more of the above)
A trip or 2 to the Theatre would be a must.
Cotswolds maybe.

And Id make the effort to go to LeMans for the 24hr again in June (stopping off on route in Honfleur)

Spain id go to Barcelona, and La Manga on the coast not too far from Alicante.
France ive covered with LeMans, but id also head into the Alps and try and get some Glacier skiing in, Val Thorens or Tignes would be the pick.
Italy, id go to Rome and Venice.

Enjoy
Steve
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:26 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hi OzzieEagle,

Here's my personal 'Top 3' FWIW:

* Get a decent pint (or 3!) of beer
* Go for a ride on the London Eye (fab views, even at night)
* Indulge in a bit of lingerie shopping in M&S

Have a good Blighty trip!

Cheers
Anya.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all that have replied so far. Ive been to brighton so many times, I guess I should visit it again. The thing about Brighton is, ... Well ask super seagull LOL... Lets just say I'm morally bound, It's in my genetic code, to have to wear my Palace top down there. Last thing I want is a punchup on "me" holiday, Wonder if it will hurt to go there without me top.

I'll be visiting my Sister, who has now joined the rest of the refugees from London up North, in the Wirral by the way.

The thing I really need to know is about this driving license stuff.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:39 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Jenny

Do you have a problem with "coloured" people? Or do you just not like to be spat at in general?

I expect a sensible apology while you have the chance to do so.

Peter
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:46 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Cant say for sure but I cant see it being an issue. I would think as you UK license is valid till 2028 it is still valid, I assume its an old paper one not one of the Photo card ones (which do still handily come with a paper part..two things to lose now!) I dont know if there was anything introduced to say you had to upgrade to one of these types? What address is on the license, one you or a family member still ownes or lives at? Maybe have a look around the DVLA website for info. (www.dvla.gov.uk)

I would imagine your Aussie license is also valid as an international license, surely people who have never held british licenses can rent hire cars without a problem?

Regards
Steve
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of crap. Do whites get spat on by Aboriginies?, maybe it happens, but I doubt on a daily basis. Whites still make up the vast majority of Londoners. Sure there are areas where non-whites are the majority, but there are areas where there are very few. Define coloured?.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Your in for a shock, thats why so many are leaving.
Blackpool well does have some good night life if your under 20 and hell bent on getting stoned.
Prestatyn well last time I went there decided not to bother again, and I only lived across the water.
Hope the holiday goes well, I want to go back in a few years but it will be to cringe at how more downhill it has gone, but will be combining it with a European trip as well, I may only do England for less than 7 days.

Jenny
Ozzie

The best advice I can give is to ignore idiotic posts like this.

Why do people have to distort things so much?

G
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure they don't have a problem with coloured people but experience shows that a small minority of coloured people in London have very little respect for old people. Recently I witnessed a group of teenage black lads push to the front of a bus queue, when a old lady asked them what they were doing they got very abusive and aggressive.

This may happen in any country but the previous poster was only expressing their experiences, is this not allowed?

Kevin
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:05 am
ABCDiamond

Yes, you can drive on the UK licence, it is valid till the day it says it is.
At least that was the case in 2000. But even if they decided to change the law, you can drive on an Australian Licence as a tourist.

If going to France on an Australian Passport, check to see if they require a visa. I recall something funny about that country once. But i'm not 100% sure, I may be wrong on that.
Entry and Exit Requirements

Visa conditions are subject to change. For up-to-date visa information, Australians should contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of France, well in advance of travel.

France is party to the Schengen Agreement, along with 14 other European countries, which allows Australians to enter France without a visa in some circumstances. http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c.../Advice/France

Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

French people??
Don't let's get started on that one
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:13 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
I'm sure they don't have a problem with coloured people but experience shows that a small minority of coloured people in London have very little respect for old people. Recently I witnessed a group of teenage black lads push to the front of a bus queue, when a old lady asked them what they were doing they got very abusive and aggressive.

This may happen in any country but the previous poster was only expressing their experiences, is this not allowed?

Kevin
Don't leave London because whites are the minority.

Don't come to Australia because whites are the majority.

I have an extremely low tolerance of "coloured" remarks, since I'm not white. However, I assure you I do not spit - whether it be at whites or at coloureds.

Peter
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
I'm sure they don't have a problem with coloured people but experience shows that a small minority of coloured people in London have very little respect for old people.
Kevin
I'm just amazed that people still use the term "coloureds"

Ozzie, we had Aussie friends over for 2 weeks. We lived centrally so because they wanted to see "everything" this is what we did.....

A long weekend in the Lake District and called in for a day in Blackpool (the look on their faces when they saw the sea was classic) But defo wouldn't stop for longer!

A day in Stratford upon Avon

A day at Warwick and its castle

A day in Bath/ Stone henge

A day in London (they went back and did another)

A day to the cotswolds (Boughton on the water, the Slaughters etc)

A day in Oxford

Thats it from the top of my head Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.