Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday showdown

Holiday showdown

Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Holiday showdown

On now a couple from Oz are sharing differing hols with a couple from South London, apparently they caravan just outside Melbourne

just thought I'd let you all know

Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:14 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday showdown

Originally Posted by Dicko
On now a couple from Oz are sharing differing hols with a couple from South London, apparently they caravan just outside Melbourne

just thought I'd let you all know

Yep, watching in now - it's going to be a right hoot! Can't wait to see how the Aussies get on with their holiday!!!!

D D
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:17 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, oh, I'm in trouble. Supposed to be taping this for the Mrs.....D'oh!!!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:20 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see the snake fear thing is between the sexes and not the Poms v Aussies. Proof that there are Aussies scared of snakes.

I reckon the Poms are too posh to be bitten though.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Holiday showdown

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared: :scared:

Let me just place on record that I have never had afternoon cream tea & never ever said "Tally ho" yet I am as English as they come.
Therefore I must be common.

Is it me or did anyone else prefer the Oz family and their outlook on life.

Disclaimer:
I apologise if my views do not reflect those of anyone else

Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:07 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Verdict:

Poms too posh and boring and represented the country for everything it was fifty years ago. Appearance and reputation were most important things. Living way beyond their too.

Aussies came across really well. Took it all in their stride and dealt will all situations with humour. Good on 'em.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:27 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Verdict:

Poms too posh and boring and represented the country for everything it was fifty years ago. Appearance and reputation were most important things. Living way beyond their too.

Aussies came across really well. Took it all in their stride and dealt will all situations with humour. Good on 'em.
Yeah, but Wayne the Oz blokie - when he was trying to make the pom blokie look a fool (and yes, I admit, wouldn't take much!) by sticking him on an inflatable donut and towing him at 60 miles an hour across the water, Dave (pom) did it and sort of enjoyed it. Wayne on the other hand, when tables were turned, didn't do the horse riding 'because of his back!". And then kept winging. Is there such a thing as a winging aussie?

Priceless one liner by stuck up english mum: when asked if she would do the oz holiday again she said "I'd rather stick wasps up my arse". Classic. Mind you, they'd have to be a certain class of wasp!

D D
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Verdict:

missed the first half but what i did see i absolutely agree, what a pair of stuck up toffy nose prats the brits were! oh and when he fell off the horse, nearly peed myself laughing!

the aussies just know how to relax and have a good time don't they
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:38 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by debbiemc
missed the first half but what i did see i absolutely agree, what a pair of stuck up toffy nose prats the brits were! oh and when he fell off the horse, nearly peed myself laughing!

the aussies just know how to relax and have a good time don't they

Where did they get this :scared: english family from they make the aussies look great and if the aussies are watching god help the british reputation
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:58 pm
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

I just hope I can survive for 2 days on the cheese I found down the back of the fridge. I nearly pissed myself, who are they trying to kid, they have got money alright, there is one thing I can't stand more than snobs, it's rich pretentious arseholes pretending to "one of us". Of course they had money and expesive tastes too, but as the Aussie family showed us there is more to life than a posh restaurant. I would have punched that cow prom the restaurant, stuck up bitch.

Who has ever played croquet seriously? (I don't know anyone who even knows the rules, you just use your hammer thingy as violently as you can, and then go inside because you are bored after 10 minutes). Now swingball, that is what I call a real lawn game (especially when you are really pissed, but it can get bloddy)!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:03 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the program last night and would like to make a few things clear,

I come from Jersey in the Channel Islands, which is one of the islands next to Sark.

Sark is nothing like it was shown last night. The people in Sark are farmers, and are certainly not like the woman from the restaraunt who complained about the sandwich request. In fact you could tell she wasnt from the island, as Sark like Jersey people have an accent which sounds very similar to South African (I have no idea why, but we do)

Sark is a very very small island, which takes approx 2 hours to walk all the way round. It has absolutely nothing there. No clubs, 2 restaurants which also double up as the 2 pubs. Apart from walking round the island, or tkaing a horse carriage ride, there is nothing to do. (Trust me I've been... its very dull) Its more geared to the day tripper and certainly not a family staying for 4 nights.

Finally meeting the Seignier of Sark, would be like meeting Mr Tony Blair.

Apart from the misrepresentation of Sark, I have a couple of other issues with the program, The "poverty stricken snob" from Putney.. if she had to live of cheese found down the back of her fridge for 3 days, begs a few questions.. how come doesnt she clean her house more often? how come they can afford to send 2 kids to boarding schools?

As for the Ozzie couple, I felt so sorry for the wife..

Sorry Rant over, I will start work now..
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:15 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Agreed on all.

When the English bloke fell off the horse, what a drama he made. It really didn't look that bad. Good on the Aussie bloke for the way he tried to smooth the Pom's ego here.

Pretty digraceful too for the English to call the Aussies 'common'. I suspect they would find most Brit's common by that account.

Agreed too. How do you send kids to private school with no money?

Paul.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

I think we have a consensus here:

The Pom family presented themselves as not relly knowing how to let their hair down. How others perceived them was more important to them than enjoying their holiday and kids. I felt sorry for their kids. Words like stuck up, pretentious, snobs, etc etc spring to mind. The guy seemed fair, but the women was a horror.

The Oz family, despite a clear lack of funds generally, gratefully took on the whole adventure. Their kids looked to be more capable to take on what life might throw at them.

Just my 2p worth.

PS.....what a stupid place to take a family in holiday. Couldn't they have gone to the Isle of Wight, Blackpool, Margate.........anywhere where kids have things to do.

Since having kids, my first consideration when going on holiday is what is there for my three boys to do........swim, soccer, beaches, zoos, etc etc

Doesn't everyone think that way ?
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:53 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
PS.....what a stupid place to take a family in holiday. Couldn't they have gone to the Isle of Wight, Blackpool, Margate.........anywhere where kids have things to do.
Ah, but it would have made it a different programme for the producers. There wouldn't have been able to make such a point of the 'we're better than you' syndrome. You know what programme makers are like, they need their bit of controversy/lets make them look stupid. Look at the Get a New Life programmes. Parts of those programmes were distortionally edited to make it look different to how it really was. Long posts on here about it. I agree though that the poms came off worse, the pom mum's feigning poverty was a hoot. As if!! Still with all of these types of programmes I think they must be taken with a pinch of salt (and a good giggle!!).

D D
Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Holiday showdown

Agreed on all.

When the English bloke fell off the horse, what a drama he made. It really didn't look that bad. Good on the Aussie bloke for the way he tried to smooth the Pom's ego here.

Pretty digraceful too for the English to call the Aussies 'common'. I suspect they would find most Brit's common by that account.

Agreed too. How do you send kids to private school with no money?

Paul.

Totally agree, as I said in my previous post, I dont have cream teas, dont use the phrase "Tally Ho", by the way I thought only people in Movies said this and I have never played croquet.

I must be as common as they come!!!!!
We might just fit in then, in Oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.