Reload this Page >

Holiday Property

Wikiposts

Holiday Property

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Reanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday Property

Hi. I would love some advice pls. Here's the thing. My mum and I ideally would like to move to Australia. It looks like I can get in with the points so far (and I have a paternal Uncle who lives out there), but my mum is due to retire next year. Because we lost my dad a few years ago and I'm an only child I wouldn't go to Australia and leave her behind in the UK BUT it appears that if she goes over on a retirement VISA she has to prove that she has so much cash PLUS a huge annual pension, then she has to re-apply for a VISA after 4 years then every 2. I am wary of putting her through this because it doesn't offer her the security I would want for her (imagine selling everything then being refused a VISA), so she has suggested that we buy a house over there to visit regularly on long holidays.

Can this be done without having to go through the immigration process and becoming residents? We could then visit our own home for 3 or 6 months at a time and rent it out for any time we wern't planning to use it.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:44 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Property

These might help as pointers

- There is the concept of a 'last remaining relative' visa , your mum might be eligible for that if you get a permanent residency ( eg skilled 136 visa).

- You can visit for up to 3mths duration as many times as you want in year/18mths on the normal holiday visa apply for it on line from UK takes 5 minutes and is like £10 or something

- Buying property is restricted unless its brand-new never been lived in, if it has been lived in it needs govt approval for foreign invesmtent - not impossible but a hurdle nonetheless.

- You need to talk to an agent to get some advice on these matters , GoMatilda.com (Allan Collet's people) or George Lombard are helpful on this forum. You might want to go look at the immigration forum too.

This isnt intended to be exhaustive just some things that came to mind reading your post.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Property

Reanda, look at http://www.firb.gov.au/content/real_...esidential.asp for info about buying residential real estate in Australia if not a PR or citizen.