Reload this Page >

Holiday money - NZ

Wikiposts

Holiday money - NZ

Old Aug 22nd 2003, 3:21 am
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday money - NZ

Just working out how much money we need to save for our holiday in October and I was hoping that someone would be able to answer a few questions for me

A) how much does it cost to fill up a car with petrol (medium sized car)and assuming we are travelling round site seeing, how many times a week would we need to fill up?

B) how much will it cost us to eat out at a pizza place or cheapy restuarant (2 adults and 2 kids)

I know these are a little difficult to answer but it would be helpful to have some idea before we go

Thanks

Sandra
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 3:25 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday money - NZ

Originally posted by sandypandy
Just working out how much money we need to save for our holiday in October and I was hoping that someone would be able to answer a few questions for me

A) how much does it cost to fill up a car with petrol (medium sized car)and assuming we are travelling round site seeing, how many times a week would we need to fill up?

B) how much will it cost us to eat out at a pizza place or cheapy restuarant (2 adults and 2 kids)

I know these are a little difficult to answer but it would be helpful to have some idea before we go

Thanks

Sandra
1. Half as much as the UK per litre.

2. A bit more than half as much as the UK for a pizza etc.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 8:28 am
Just Joined

wotwots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday money - NZ

Petrol , eating out and houses are the only things that are cheap in NZ the rest is about the same as UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Petrol here is $nz1.09 per litre give or take a few cents depending on where you buy. might be more in out of the way places. An average car costs around $50 - $60 to fill up. working on about 10km per litre you should get 500 - 600 km out of a full tank depending on how heavy your foot is and the cc rating of the car. we have pizza hut over here. you can get a large takeaway pizza for about $15 and theyre quite nice. They run 'all you can eat for $10' sometimes in their restaurants so that would make it $40 and if you eat enough you wont feel like the next meal. A cheap restaurant might cost you $60 - $70for 2 adults and 2 kids depending on what you order. chinese takeaways can be economical and reasonably healthy. Cost you about $22 for 2 adults and 2 kids. fish & chips is a cheap meal once in a while. Cost you about $12 for fish, hotdogs and some chips. Mcdonalds & KFC is worth a look. Burgers and chips and coke for you cost about $15 - $20. Government are talking about introducing a 'fat tax' on takeaway foods. Theyre daft. They say if you eat fatty foods youll get fat and be a burden on the health system so the tax is to cover that. Any excuse to tax us eh. Bit like the Flatulance tax on cows and sheep. Apparently they are gassing off so much that its causing problems in the atmosphere. can you believe it? who cares about trucks spewing out diesel fumesand aircraft burning up tons of ozone as they fly through. sorry, I digressed. Want any more info please ask. Graham/hamiltonnz
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
Petrol here is $nz1.09 per litre give or take a few cents depending on where you buy. might be more in out of the way places. An average car costs around $50 - $60 to fill up. working on about 10km per litre you should get 500 - 600 km out of a full tank depending on how heavy your foot is and the cc rating of the car. we have pizza hut over here. you can get a large takeaway pizza for about $15 and theyre quite nice. They run 'all you can eat for $10' sometimes in their restaurants so that would make it $40 and if you eat enough you wont feel like the next meal. A cheap restaurant might cost you $60 - $70for 2 adults and 2 kids depending on what you order. chinese takeaways can be economical and reasonably healthy. Cost you about $22 for 2 adults and 2 kids. fish & chips is a cheap meal once in a while. Cost you about $12 for fish, hotdogs and some chips. Mcdonalds & KFC is worth a look. Burgers and chips and coke for you cost about $15 - $20. Government are talking about introducing a 'fat tax' on takeaway foods. Theyre daft. They say if you eat fatty foods youll get fat and be a burden on the health system so the tax is to cover that. Any excuse to tax us eh. Bit like the Flatulance tax on cows and sheep. Apparently they are gassing off so much that its causing problems in the atmosphere. can you believe it? who cares about trucks spewing out diesel fumesand aircraft burning up tons of ozone as they fly through. sorry, I digressed. Want any more info please ask. Graham/hamiltonnz
Blimey, could have done with you before we went!
we founf petrol to be $1,05, muttered in disgust at paying anywhere near $1.09, rip off merchants! Eat at some really nice places, where the max prices were no more than $30 each. No snobs, we were comfortable and relaxed, talking jeans and a rugby top. If this is a look/see holiday then maybe do what we did. our exchange rate was 2.7. so we called it 3, makes life easier. We spent what we needed as went along. it was a one off for us. Stick the big things on the visa. Worry about the debt when you get back. we were pleasantly surprised. Must dash bed awaits
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree a $1.09 is rip off. Petrol prices here can vary quite alot over the year. A year ago it went down to as low as 80 cents and has been as high as $1.14. Most of the year though it has averaged a round $1.00 - 1.05. Government is talking about a new regional petrol tax which would add another 10 cents a litre. The swines. They already take 30 cents a litre in tax. That was supposed to go toward transport needs but it went into the melting pot of general government spending instead and they dont want to put it toward roading issues now so they'll take more off us instead. This Labour government is slowly strangling us here.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 8:48 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info, it gives me a rough idea of what we need. What would we do without the forum!!

Sandra