Holiday money

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

gottogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday money

We are going on our fact finding trip in 3 weeks and are about to buy travellers cheques- Has anyone any idea about whether to take Aus dollars or sterling in terms of exchange rates and charges at the other end etc.?
Many thanks

Geoff
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:56 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Holiday money

Originally posted by gottogo
We are going on our fact finding trip in 3 weeks and are about to buy travellers cheques- Has anyone any idea about whether to take Aus dollars or sterling in terms of exchange rates and charges at the other end etc.?
Many thanks

Geoff
I dont usually buy anything, I use my debit card/ cashpoint card out there, The exchange rates are usually ok and it saves the hastle of having more than you need at any one point.

Cheers
Kala
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:03 am
Go Banana's !!

Many thanks

Geoff
Hi Geoff,

I am here in Perth at the mo, settling in my family before I have to go back on Sat, until the house sold anyway !!

Anyway, I brought Aus dollar travellers cheques and got no charges when I spent them in any of the shops, however, was charged $10 per transaction at the Thomas Cook office (not called that now but can't remember the name !) in the Gallleria in Morley.

I brought a mixture of currency and trav cheqs as my bank doesn't charge me commission in the UK at either end.

Good luck with your trip.

Best wishes

Warren
Perth and loving it...only trouble is I've got to go back !

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:06 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Hello,

I've just come back from Brisbane and even though I transferred money into my b/f's aussie account I still used my debit and credit card, now I'm back and having looked at my statement I got a far better exchange rate than I would of for cash or travellers cheques here. You do get charged for using it but just take out large amounts from the cashpoint to get round that.

Good Luck Have Fun
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

gottogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BKate
Hello,

I've just come back from Brisbane and even though I transferred money into my b/f's aussie account I still used my debit and credit card, now I'm back and having looked at my statement I got a far better exchange rate than I would of for cash or travellers cheques here. You do get charged for using it but just take out large amounts from the cashpoint to get round that.

Good Luck Have Fun

Thanks BKate, we intend to have fun despite all the fact finding we need to do! With regard to the cash machines are there charges each time you draw out money?

Geoff
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:17 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Thanks BKate, we intend to have fun despite all the fact finding we need to do! With regard to the cash machines are there charges each time you draw out money?

Geoff
The cash machines charge you but you dont get charged for using you debit/credit card in shops/ resturaunts etc

Cheers
Kala
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:40 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

I have a smile visa card and if I use it to make purchases it attracts a 2.75% transaction fee and cash out of cash machines attract a 2% fee.
I have a Lloyds Tsb debit card if you use this it costs £1.50 for purchases or cash withdrawals.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:44 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by BKate
I have a smile visa card and if I use it to make purchases it attracts a 2.75% transaction fee and cash out of cash machines attract a 2% fee.
I have a Lloyds Tsb debit card if you use this it costs £1.50 for purchases or cash withdrawals.

Hope this helps

Really, I'Ve got a Nationwide debit card (visa delta) and a nationwide credit card and have never been harged for using either as a credit card (not that I've noticed anyway)
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:48 am
Paddington Brisbane

Maybe it differs from bank to bank, have never been that impressed with Lloyds Tsb anyway, I think I may recall having this conversation with someone a while ago about Natwest and the fact they didn't charge, but I guess it does cost the bank if you make an international transaction.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Are there plenty of places (Brisbane) to change your sterling to Aus$
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Worth banging on again about it, but if you've got time to get a Nationwide Visa card you can use that worldwide and they don't charge the 2.75% exchange loading that the rest do.

(You don't notice it with the rest, but it's there in the form of a worse rate).
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:04 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Worth banging on again about it, but if you've got time to get a Nationwide Visa card you can use that worldwide and they don't charge the 2.75% exchange loading that the rest do.

(You don't notice it with the rest, but it's there in the form of a worse rate).
Yeah I agree, Didn't realize other credit cards charged so much or anything for that matter.

I've banked with Nationwide since I was a Kid and compared to Banks, most charges etc are a lot cheaper, I'l be keeping my accounts open when I leave just incase they ever get turned into a bank so I can get loads of money.

Kala
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rog Williams

Liverpool Victoria as well.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Amazulu
Liverpool Victoria as well.
I knew there was *one* more but for the life of me couldn't remember which one!
Old Jul 24th 2004, 7:45 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by kala
Yeah I agree, Didn't realize other credit cards charged so much or anything for that matter.

I've banked with Nationwide since I was a Kid and compared to Banks, most charges etc are a lot cheaper, I'l be keeping my accounts open when I leave just incase they ever get turned into a bank so I can get loads of money.

Kala

I opened a Nationwide account online, all I need to do now is put some money in it!

On the plus side, you can apply for a Nationwide credit card with zero % for 6 months.

Regards
Mark H.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.