Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday ideas.....

Holiday ideas.....

Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday ideas.....

New Caledonia, just a 2 hour flight (if even that) and you're in a completely different language and culture.

Or, rest of the pacific... Fiji, Samoa, Vanuatu, New Zealand.

Hop up to Hawaii even.

Then you always have south east Asia... Malaysia, Thailand etc.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:51 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lovely little place I know. Lovely hills, glorious wineries. Only a couple of hours flying And the locals aren't too scary
Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Hawai'i - Oahu, Kaui and Big Island. Covers the whole spectrum of activities for all ages. One of the few places we went back for a second visit.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Ok so we're thinking of a holiday but at a loss as to what we want, just know what we don't want and top of that list is Bali So people, where do you want to go on holiday and why? Preferably no more than a 10 hour flight from Brissie. Not thinking money at the moment, well we are but not got a clue on how much we need to spend so open to all suggestions at the mo. Please and thank you
Weve had 3 last family holidays to the USA. Not 10 but 13 hours flight and currently $1200 each with Virgin australia who are pretty amazing compared to Qantas We hire a huge car, gas about 80c litre and even if you dont leave California you can get mountains, snow, forests, incredible ocean roads, desert, major cities all in a week.

Kids wont usually hang out with us, but mention USA and you have to fight em off Hence the 3 last holidays....

Outlet malls, seriously the ones in Palm Springs are damn amazing, both boys head to toe in designer stuff, 3 of everything for about $200 each. Not just designer but bloody good looking gear So cheap, skip duty free, just stuff the suitcases full of the $8 stuff from walmart, the brands that are $40 in duty free at brisbane. Holiday inns over there are about $100 a night, including parking, breakfast, internet, and huge family suites.

One other option is a cruise, that seems to be the thing up here, family cruise with the teens, not for me I could not stand being locked up with 3000 people for a week.

Or if you want cheap, hire a dollar campervan, I have tortured the then younger teens with that a few times lol:, huge fun except they usually give you the most broken down van or no van if they can get another booking. But for a few tanks of fuel and a flight back from where you ended up it can be a cheap holiday. We have been to canberra, sydney and melbourne that way.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
There's a lovely little place I know. Lovely hills, glorious wineries. Only a couple of hours flying And the locals aren't too scary
Yeah. It's called Perth.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:59 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yeah. It's called Perth.
I said the locals AREN'T scary

Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
I said the locals AREN'T scary

Good thing I'm not a local, eh?

back atcha.

Oh, and the Perth is nice goes for you guys too. We have a pool, and live a 3 minute drive to the beach. And we have loads of room for all 4 of you.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:30 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Langkawi in Malaysia. Very nice place, quiet and laid back. Not very expensive.

Air Asia X out of Gold Coast. Transfer in KL.
Ooo I'm going there in September!

How about Japan? Lots of cool stuff to do for you guys and the kids. We love it.

Malaysia has also got some cool options. Last year we had a few days in KL and then a few days on a gorgeous island
Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:01 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Good thing I'm not a local, eh?

back atcha.

Oh, and the Perth is nice goes for you guys too. We have a pool, and live a 3 minute drive to the beach. And we have loads of room for all 4 of you.
Oh bless you, that is lovely of you Being a bit hormonal ATM I've come over all wobbly we can sort something out in the future. Tried to send you some Karma, but apparently I need to spread it about a bit more
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:05 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Tassie the scenery is great there is loads to do for all ages beaches walking canoeing go round Hobart and visit Salamanca market.

New Zealand Queenstown is so pretty and lots to do go bungee jumping, go fly and land on a glacier,walk around the mountains, go whale watching, swim with Dolphins Christchurch was spectacular before the earthquake not sure if its recovered yet. Go to rotorua on the north island and the beaches lots to do and see it will be more about what you don't have time to do.

Fiji, snorkelling, beaches, boat trips, fire dancers lots to see.

Have you been to kings canyon, Katherine gorge, Alice and Uluru? If not that might be worth a trip
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Ooo I'm going there in September!

How about Japan? Lots of cool stuff to do for you guys and the kids. We love it.

Malaysia has also got some cool options. Last year we had a few days in KL and then a few days on a gorgeous island
We are going to Japan during the Easter school holidays. Looking forward to it.

Malaysia is great.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:29 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irishbloo
We are also saying no to Bali.Would love to go to Vietnam.Eldest daughter is going there in September.I have heard lots of good reports.You sound like you really need one and deserve a holiday.
Ditto, I would like to visit Vietnam. A guy I work with is married to a Vietnamese lady and they go lots and make it sound amazing
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Vietnam. Have been a few times and loved it. So many different choices, for example one trip we started in the north, in Hanoi. In 3 weeks we had a good look around Hanoi, had an overnight cruise on Halong Bay (including small boat excursions through caves, great fun!), went all intrepid and took the overnight Reunification train to the middle (Hue and Hoi An), which involved sharing tiny sleeping cars with locals and drinking the green tea they brewed for us, then flying to Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon).

So much for all members of your family to do in Vietnam. Hanoi, as the political centre of the country, is a bit more reserved and extremely crowded, Hue and Hoi An are slower paced with really friendly locals, Ho Chi Minh is the most 'westernised' - fantastic shopping. Ben Than markets are best for fixed priced bargains. Also, from Ho Chi Minh you can take an all day cruise down the Mekong River, catch a hydrofoil to the holiday island of Vung Tao - so many activities. Eating local in Vietnam is very cheap, as is the local beer. Forget wine, it's more expensive than in Australia.

In both big cities, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh, you need to keep your wits about you as you're walking around. The number of motorbikes is astounding, crosswalks and traffic lights are non-existant, and you soon learn that the only way to cross a road is to wait for a tiny break in the traffic, step out slow and steady, and don't falter or speed up. The traffic will weave its way around you.

I raved on a bit - as you can tell I'm fond of Vietnam!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:55 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

So where are you going then MP? Got a short list yet?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Queenstown or if you extend the flight time Vegas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.