British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   holiday entitlements (moved from Immigration) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/holiday-entitlements-moved-immigration-687442/)

1trickytrev Sep 29th 2010 11:04 am

holiday entitlements (moved from Immigration)

i am in discussion with an australian company regarding a salaried position.
is there a standard holiday entitlement exc bank holidays like there is in the uk.
in the uk it seems to fluctuate between 21 and 25 days any advice would be greatly appreciated

roaringmouse Sep 29th 2010 11:58 am

Re: holiday entitlements

20 paid days annual leave is the minimum in Australia, and is also the most you'll likely get.

Public holidays aren't included in this total - how they are dealt with is down to the company. As opposed to the UK where paid annual leave now is 28 days and can include the bank holidays.

Both of above based on full-time work, 5 days/week.

1trickytrev Sep 29th 2010 1:14 pm

thanks for that do you know what the situation is regarding healthcare with companies.

Dorothy Sep 29th 2010 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by 1trickytrev (Post 8884274)
thanks for that do you know what the situation is regarding healthcare with companies.

What visa are you coming on? If you're on a PR visa you would be entitled to Medicare. If not, you are responsible to have your own private medical insurance. Some countries have reciprocal agreements with Medicare for emergency/urgent treatment.

jejuniper Sep 30th 2010 2:51 am

Re: holiday entitlements (moved from Immigration)

Originally Posted by 1trickytrev (Post 8884020)
is there a standard holiday entitlement exc bank holidays like there is in the uk.
in the uk it seems to fluctuate between 21 and 25 days any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi there,

This site: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx contains all the information regarding Australian workplace standards including minimum pay rates, awards, leave, conditions of employment, etc. It might be helpful for you.

cheers,
Jen

ABCDiamond Sep 30th 2010 5:14 am

Originally Posted by 1trickytrev (Post 8884020)

Minimum Entitlements: (7th April 2010)

Australia
Total Leave entitlement (Specifically calculated for Queensland)
31 days total: 20 Annual leave + 11 Public Holiday
(or 35.33 days if the 4.33 days Long Service leave is included).

Under the Act an employee receives a minimum of four weeks annual leave for each full year of employment.

The Act provides that all employees in Queensland are entitled to long service leave, the entitlement to long service leave is 8.6667 weeks on full pay after each period of 10 years continuous service.

al150n Sep 30th 2010 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jejuniper (Post 8885956)
Hi there,

This site: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx contains all the information regarding Australian workplace standards including minimum pay rates, awards, leave, conditions of employment, etc. It might be helpful for you.

cheers,
Jen

This only applies to certain states.

Alison x

Pollyana Sep 30th 2010 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 8887322)

Alison x

Any idea which ones aren't covered?

jejuniper Sep 30th 2010 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8887335)
Any idea which ones aren't covered?

It pretty much covers everyone other than some workers in WA and people in state/local government jobs in NSW, QLD, SA and TAS. It gives a general guide for Australian workplaces - most of the state workplace systems are very similar to the national.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/nat...-affected.aspx

"Who is in the national workplace system?

Employees covered by the national workplace relations system include those:

employed by a constitutional corporation (these are corporations that are trading or financial, usually Pty Ltd or Ltd companies)
employed in Victoria, the Northern Territory or the ACT
employed by the Commonwealth or a Commonwealth authority
a waterside employee, maritime employee or flight crew officer employed in connection with interstate or overseas trade or commerce.
From 1 January 2010, sole traders, partnerships, other unincorporated entities and non-trading corporations in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania joined the above types of employers in the national system, and are no longer covered by separate state systems (with the exception of some State government public sector and local government employers, who remain covered by their State system)."

WA: http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/Labour...dustrial_.html

ABCDiamond Oct 1st 2010 10:37 am

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 8887322)

Alison x

From 1 January 2010, employers and employees in the national workplace system are covered by the National Employment Standards (NES).

The individual State systems are being dismantled, to be replaced by this national system.

1trickytrev Oct 1st 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8885627)
What visa are you coming on? If you're on a PR visa you would be entitled to Medicare. If not, you are responsible to have your own private medical insurance. Some countries have reciprocal agreements with Medicare for emergency/urgent treatment.

i am being offered a 457 will i be entitled to WAFHLA-as well
thnak you for your help

Dorothy Oct 2nd 2010 1:03 am

Originally Posted by 1trickytrev (Post 8889125)
i am being offered a 457 will i be entitled to WAFHLA-as well
thnak you for your help

You may be entitled, but will your employer offer it? You have to negotiate with him/her in order to get it. LAFHA is for employees working away from their home base, so it's also available to PR who work away from home for periods of time. However it does need to be negotiated with the employer and bear in mind that not all offer it.

If you have children of school age you may also want to look into whether the state you're going to requires you to pay school fees. NSW does.

Vash the Stampede Oct 2nd 2010 2:26 am

Remember also that Australia offers long service leave, for which the UK has no equivalent:
In Australia, unlike many other countries, employees are generally entitled to additional leave, known as long service leave, over and above their annual leave if they stay with a particular employer for a certain length of time.

A common entitlement in Australia is that employees who remain with a particular employer for 10 years will receive an entitlement of eight and two-thirds weeks' (two calendar months) paid leave and more on a pro-rata basis the longer they stay with that employer.

This amount was originally 13 weeks (three months) after 15 years in most states until recent years. In the Australian Capital Territory, Australia, an employee is entitled to pro-rata long service leave after seven years.
LSL is of particular benefit to teachers, and others in the public sector.

DadAgain Oct 3rd 2010 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8890685)
LSL is of particular benefit to teachers, and others in the public sector.

..but of no benefit whatsoever to anyone in the IT industry. My longest stint with any employer is 4 years and at least 4 of my employers over the last 10 years are no longer in business.

As far as I'm concerned LSL is a con by which employers manage to claim they are giving you a benefit which they know full well they'll never have to pay out.

DadAgain Oct 3rd 2010 12:27 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8886127)
Minimum Entitlements: (7th April 2010)

Australia
Total Leave entitlement (Specifically calculated for Queensland)
31 days total: 20 Annual leave + 11 Public Holiday

Do you have a link to some specific legislation for that? I would love to be able to prove that my employer is actually breaking the law by forcing me to work 20% of my public holidays as well as a 60 hour 'normal' week (40 in office + 20 from home).