Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holding Back Kids From School

Holding Back Kids From School

Old Aug 28th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holding Back Kids From School

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One thing we've found is that the jump from pre-primary to year 1 is quite big. This does not just apply to the younger children as we have heard the same from parents with the oldest children in the class. Pre-primary is basically about having fun and learning to get on with other children. Year 1 is real school and there are academic requirements. I think all children find this a bit of a shock and don't really like it for the first 3-4 months. Tough but there you go!
Is pre-primary what we call prep in Victoria? Prep is actually the first year in school (full-time) with a starting age of 5 before end April. So, is pre-primary actually pre-school (as in part time kinder, generally age 4) or is it actually the first year at school?

Prep here is full-on, full-time education (with a small aspect of play). However, yes there is a real jump from pre-school/kinder where they are learning through play. I was suprised as my girls started being taught basic academic skills at 2 at their nursery in the UK.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a wide variation in terminology between states for the years before grade 1.

For the record in QLD the year before grade 1 is called Prep (age 5yrs before 30 June of the year they start, since jan 2007) and is attached to the main schools (previously seperate) is full time and voluntary but normally taken. Its very play based. Its the equivilent(?) to reception in the UK but kids are a bit older. Prior to that is kindergarten for 4 and 5yrs olds, sometimes 3 yr olds but usually not enough places - the equivilent to pre-school in UK.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 1:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Is pre-primary what we call prep in Victoria? Prep is actually the first year in school (full-time) with a starting age of 5 before end April. So, is pre-primary actually pre-school (as in part time kinder, generally age 4) or is it actually the first year at school?

Prep here is full-on, full-time education (with a small aspect of play). However, yes there is a real jump from pre-school/kinder where they are learning through play. I was suprised as my girls started being taught basic academic skills at 2 at their nursery in the UK.
In WA:
Kindy
Pre-primary
Year 1 onwards
From what you say, Year 1 here is the same is your Prep, but I may be wrong.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't agree the whole concept of being able to choose what year your child goes into. It causes more problems than it solves.

I know of mothers in WA who deliberately held their children back so they would have an advantage in school. And it did give them an advantage, they got places on the extension programs, won most of the academic awards, all the sports races etc…would this have happened if they had been in the correct year for their age. Maybe, maybe not, the point is that they had an unfair advantage over the younger kids in the year and it made some of the younger kids feel deflated as they knew no matter how hard they tried it didn’t matter as these kids were older, by almost 18 months in some cases.

It is not so much a problem in the younger years but it really starts to show once the kids get to Year 6 and 7. What happens as well when they get to the later years of high school and you’ve got 18 year old kids in class with 16 year olds, that causes a whole new set of problems.

It’s all very well wanting your kids to be confident and helping them to achieve that but I don’t think you are doing your kids any favours by placing them in a year group with younger kids as it will probably give them a false sense of confidence. Unfortunately there always has to an oldest in a class and a youngest in a class, if your child happens to fall in one of those categories, well that’s life. Some of the younger kids may struggle at the beginning, but with suport from their parents it all evens out in the end.

Kindy and pre-primary in WA (not sure about the other states) are not compulsory so if you don’t think your child is ready, don’t send them, easy. Start them at Year 1 instead when they are 6 if it worries you that much.

I know this may have come across as harsh but we need to encourage and teach our kids how to get on and thrive in any environment without moving the goal posts to suit.

Last edited by stm1971; Aug 28th 2009 at 2:23 am.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
I don't agree the whole concept of being able to choose what year your child goes into. It causes more problems than it solves.

I know of mothers in WA who deliberately held their children back so they would have an advantage in school. And it did give them an advantage, they got places on the extension programs, won most of the academic awards, all the sports races etc…would this have happened if they had been in the correct year for their age. Maybe, maybe not, the point is that they had an unfair advantage over the younger kids in the year and it made some of the younger kids feel deflated as they knew no matter how hard they tried it didn’t matter as these kids were older, by almost 18 months in some cases.

It is not so much a problem in the younger years but it really starts to show once the kids get to Year 6 and 7. What happens as well when they get to the later years of high school and you’ve got 18 year old kids in class with 16 year olds, that causes a whole new set of problems.

It’s all very well wanting your kids to be confident and helping them to achieve that but I don’t think you are doing your kids any favours by placing them in a year group with younger kids as it will probably give them a false sense of confidence. Unfortunately there always has to an oldest in a class and a youngest in a class, if your child happens to fall in one of those categories, well that’s life. Some of the younger kids may struggle at the beginning, but with suport from their parents it all evens out in the end.

Kindy and pre-primary in WA (not sure about the other states) are not compulsory so if you don’t think your child is ready, don’t send them, easy. Start them at Year 1 instead when they are 6 if it worries you that much.

I know this may have come across as harsh but we need to encourage and teach our kids how to get on and thrive in any environment without moving the goal posts to suits them.
Totally agree with you. My son is 2nd youngest in year 1 and he is more than holding his own - in academics and sports. In fact, his reading is exceptional, partly due to the effort we put in with him. We never thought about holding him back - we have never discussed it and the first I have heard about this kind of thing is on this thread.

Just put your children into school as soon as they are eligible. Put in the effort with them, support and nurture them and they will be fine.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Totally agree with you. My son is 2nd youngest in year 1 and he is more than holding his own - in academics and sports. In fact, his reading is exceptional, partly due to the effort we put in with him. We never thought about holding him back - we have never discussed it and the first I have heard about this kind of thing is on this thread.

Just put your children into school as soon as they are eligible. Put in the effort with them, support and nurture them and they will be fine.
Thank goodness it's not up to you
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

It is a tough one.
We are in Sydney and my daughter turned 5 in the February she started school, which does make her one of the youngest, there are children turning 6 now in her class, but her teacher has said that there is a wide range of ages not just a 6/7 month gap between children. I did consider holding her back but I think this would have had a negative impact on her as all her friends at preschool were starting school and I think she would have been bored with an extra year there.
I decided to enrol her after reading a study that suggested if children are not challenged at an early age that the will perform well in Kindy as they are advanced in reading, maths and writing but start lagging behind in Year 1/2 due to not being challenged in Kindy. I discussed this with her teacher who agreed. Some of the older boys in the Kindy classes they are finding finish their work before the others are bored and become disruptive.
It is a hard decision as we all want to do what's best for our children.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by plantpot
Thank goodness it's not up to you
I really can't see what all the fuss is about on this issue.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
no.. if they were june 28th they'd be the youngest by July 1st they miss cutoff for the previous year and become the oldest for the next.

Read the question I as answering, her kids were born in July and August, therefore they'd be the oldest.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Completely agree. Especially as there are many composite classes here. The potential for age differences is huge if children are deferred. In my son's year he has class mates 14 months older than him, same grade, same year.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

I really can't see what all the fuss is about on this issue.
Me neither