Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holden Captiva or Ford Explorer

Holden Captiva or Ford Explorer

Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Holden Captiva or Ford Explorer

Hubby is sick and tired of early mornings and late nights due to having to catch the train. Any advice on the abovementioned cars. Or do you drive an SUV that you would recommend.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holden Captiva or Ford Explorer

What about a Subaru Forester.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pisces
Hubby is sick and tired of early mornings and late nights due to having to catch the train. Any advice on the abovementioned cars. Or do you drive an SUV that you would recommend.
I'd recommend a BMW X6 - not that I drive one!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:23 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Ford explorer are nicknamed Ford Exploders. I used to have one. Never, never again. However, if you are looking for something which is just on road friendly you could do worse than a Territory AWD which isnt for the rough stuff but good on road and ok on a dirt road. Compares very well to a Kluger in reviews.

Lot of car for a lot less money than the Toyota and family friendly.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

i would go with the captiva diesel if you are doing a few k each week, last week i had a kia from work it was really nice & they are good value for money
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

My in-law's have had two Explorers in the last decade and they love them. I have driven them when we visit them and they drive really well. Still too small for my family but a nice vehicle.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

coansha is an unknown quantity at this point

My explorer exploded, we put in a new transmission, $4500 and then still had problems, stay away!!! You would also sell on a holden quicker.
They were pretty heavy on petrol too, what about a subaru forreester??
Very popular good on petrol and hold their value?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Have you looked at the Hyundai Sante Fe, we were looking to buy new and got much more value for your money from Hyundai.

We have a 7 seater version and love it.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Kia Sorento Diesel is a good, not too expensive option.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Been to three garages for servicing my delightful Holden - they all said to leave the Holden's and Ford's to others and own Toyota's themselves.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by coansha
My explorer exploded, we put in a new transmission, $4500 and then still had problems, stay away!!! You would also sell on a holden quicker.
They were pretty heavy on petrol too, what about a subaru forreester??
Very popular good on petrol and hold their value?
I borrowed a friend's Forester 2.5X Auto for 3 weeks and thought it was as slow as hell. I've just turned 40 so I guess I should be thinking about getting an auto but I couldn't wait to get back to my manual Focus Zetec and it's so much quicker around town than the Forester.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Get a Jap car, 1,000,000 Asian taxi drivers cant be wrong.

Toyota or mitzubishi

Why do you need such a big car anyway? Is your husband a forrester?

Al
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

Thanks, will get him to have a look at the Hyundai and Forrester as well. I think the Forrester would hold its value well. I thought the Hyundai was expensive - will have a look at the cost again . My parents are coming out for a 6 week visit and we are all going to have to try and squeeze into my Ford Focus. Would be nice to have a bit more room as we seem to have a lot of visitors!! Otherwise not too sure why he wants a big car - we did spend 15 years in the Middle East which was 4x4 heaven - if you drove a small car you felt very small, insignificant and very vunerable. Pretty scarey having a huge 4x4 on your tail flashing its lights at you because you are driving at 120km instead of 160.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Have a read of Wheels magazine and google some reviews of the cars you mentioned to get an idea of what they are like.

With the price of petrol do you really need such a big car to drive on presumably sealed roads to work? The Holden and Ford both depreciate massively so will be worth a lot less when you sell in 3 years. Hyundai also depreciates very quickly.

Subies also hold their resale value a lot better than Holdens Fords and Hyundai. The Forester is a great car but I would recommend the turbo version which would crap on the two other models you are looking at.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:25 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

we have a ford explorer bought it when we first arrived 3 years ago done us well been on loads of long road trips with it, but if you need parts for them it costs alot luckily we have needed any.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.