Hobbies?

Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

emmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant future
Default Hobbies?

I don't know if there is anyone else out there who feels the same way I do.

Ok I have very mixed feelings about going to live on the other side of the world but on the whole I am very excited. The only thing that is starting to worry me slightly is setting down roots connected to things over here I take for granted.

For example one of the major things in my life over here is my dancing. I have been a member of the same dance school over here since the age of 8 (this totals a massive 18 years) and it means a lot to me. I spend every friday night and most sunday afternoons enjoying my hobby with the people I have known for many years.

Although I have already looked into dance centres over in Australia I still have very mixed emotions when thinking about leaving what I know over here. I know I am doing the correct thing for me however, as other aspects of my lifestyle will be improved by this whole change of life.

My husband has similar feelings about leaving his cricket club that he has been a member of from an early age, but as we all know cricket is very big over there.

Is anyone else feeling the same as me???????
Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:04 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies?

Originally Posted by emmal

Ok I have very mixed feelings about going to live on the other side of the world but on the whole I am very excited. The only thing that is starting to worry me slightly is setting down roots connected to things over here I take for granted.

For example one of the major things in my life over here is my dancing. I have been a member of the same dance school over here since the age of 8 (this totals a massive 18 years) and it means a lot to me. I spend every friday night and most sunday afternoons enjoying my hobby with the people I have known for many years.

Although I have already looked into dance centres over in Australia I still have very mixed emotions when thinking about leaving what I know over here. I know I am doing the correct thing for me however, as other aspects of my lifestyle will be improved by this whole change of life.

My husband has similar feelings about leaving his cricket club that he has been a member of from an early age, but as we all know cricket is very big over there.

I dont really have any hobbies I am leaving behind, mine are drawing, writing and stuff.

But I value my routine and home comforts and it scares me to leave my security blanket.

The way I view it is that life changes, we change and situations move on.

You may want to hang on to your routine of dancing at the same dancing school but all those people you know there are busy organising their own lives behing closed doors and noone else is a part of it I bet.

I reckon its normal to feel scared but try and think that opportunities such as this are short lived and dont come around very often.

Miss it and you may miss out and whilst your dancing school or at least the building, may remain the same for some time, your chance to go to Oz wont.

Just allow yourself to embrace the change because you dont know where it might lead.

Good luck

Samantha
Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:13 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

I know what you mean though I don't have the same problem (photography) but try thinking of it as a great way to meet new friends when you get there. I don't belong to a photography club here but i fully intend to once I touch down in Oz for this reason. The OH is into astronomy and has joined a club there before we even have our visa's he chats to them all the time as they have an online forum. Do any of the dance clubs you have researched have this facility? It may ease your mind a bit as when you get there it will just be like a BE meet up!

Fiona
Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My main hobby is stained glass (another solitary pursuit), but I am going to join everything. My hubby laughs when I say I'm joining lawn bowling. He has a vision of all the old ladies out in their white skirts
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:00 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Originally Posted by dotnron
My main hobby is stained glass (another solitary pursuit), but I am going to join everything. My hubby laughs when I say I'm joining lawn bowling. He has a vision of all the old ladies out in their white skirts
yep anything that takes my fancy I will be joining. I'll get to try so mnay things and meet so many people that at least a few should become friends!!
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future

Hmmm think I might have a problem .. I restore Pinball machines. Can't see me meeting many people in Oz that do a similar thing

Lee
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FloridaLee
Hmmm think I might have a problem .. I restore Pinball machines. Can't see me meeting many people in Oz that do a similar thing

Lee
Check this out then...

http://www.mrpinball.com.au/

http://www.pinball.com.au/
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When my sister moved to Australia 25 years ago, she moved to a very small town. Her husband is a bit of a workaholic and travels overseas quite a bit, so she was left on her own a lot. She said she went to all of the neighbours' houses and knocked on their doors to introduce herself. "Hi, my name's Kathy and I have just moved from Canada. Do you think we could get together for coffee sometime, as I don't know anyone in Australia and would like to make some new friends." Well, some of the original people she harrassed are still her best mates.
I don't see me doing that, but it sure worked for her. Also having children involved in activities helps a lot. You get to know the other parents at the school or sports club, etc. My kids will also be involved in as much or as little as they like. 11 year old daughter wants music lessons and 9 year old son wants to play cricket. Great way to meet other moms and dads!!
Don't worry, emmal. You'll meet loads of really nice people and make wonderful new memories.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

AWWWW cheese, you'll find something kid. Honest. I know a nice little pub where we can have a pub meal lol

sorry, lol. lost in now. How are you? Well I hope.

hugs Lace xxxxx
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by manxfamily

I knew of the first link but not the second in Brisbane Many thanks for that.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you will be fine. One thing I have noticed with the dance schools here is that most of them run adult classes so you should have no problem finding a nice one to go to. You are bound to feel apprehensive as you are knowingly and willingly taking yourself out of your comfort zone but you will soon settle in.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been too busy for hobbies but now I am in Australia, I plan to take up some!

I have found a community choir in the mountains which I'm going to join, plus there are local courses going on at TAFE about learning to dance, which I am desparate to do. I also really want to learn piano as do my children, so once we're settled we're going to buy a piano and get a teacher to come to us once a week ...

Australia has liberated me.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking forward to riding a bike. I know it sounds mad but I really am.

Lace x
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:51 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lacey21
I am looking forward to riding a bike. I know it sounds mad but I really am.

Lace x

I can understand this. In the UK, we were on a really busy road and the kids couldn't get out. Here, there are fire trails just down the road from our new rental and we plan to use them. We're also on a road that goes no-where, apart from bush, so we plan to be riding like demons. It's a fantastic environment for riding a bike!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Jeda will become famous soon enoughJeda will become famous soon enough

Hi
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think it is not your hobbies you will miss but the people and the familiarity of what you know. If you uproot and leave, you will both be stretching your comfort zone like you have never done before. This will test you both to the max and you need to make sure that this is what you both truly want. I have moved from Sydney to Bath and now to Perth so I understand how you feel. Your hobbies are in Australia waiting for you but the family, friends and the world you've lived in in the UK won't be - but that's the price you pay for moving so far from home. Life out here is good, but life is what you make it and no one can make it for you. Life is full of risks as well and sometimes you have to take many risks to get what you want. You can always get on a plane and visit family and friends in UK and they can visit you. Maybe if you and your husband have a re-evaluation on why you are moving here.... you will miss the things you've always known but then your life out here may compensate you for that. Ours has and I wouldn't change anything but I think you just have to accept that a new life means new friends and then, in time, they too will become as indispensable as the ones you've left behind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.