Hobart Tasmania

Old May 5th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Hobart Tasmania

Just wondering if anyone has moved to Hobart Tasmania and regreted it?either from the mainland or the U.K.
Old May 5th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobart Tasmania

Hi there

We live 20 mins South of Hobart, having moved from the UK last year.

Do I regret it? No, although I think my kids would have preferred somewhere a bit livelier. On the plus side, Tas has great scenery, amazing wild beautiful places where you can be the only ones there, weather is ok (ish) not hot or humid, four distinct seasons which I like but not the best choice if you're after beach life! Great food and wine scene, lots of wineries nearby, fantastic fresh fish and seafood, great local cheeses etc Great for sailing, kayaking etc, walking opportunities galore. Traffic is never too bad, I work in the city centre and driving in and out is a doddle, plus I get the lovely views of the harbour and the mountain as I leave work Good for events in the Summer, the finish of the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race is exciting as well as various food and wine festivals, the best one being the Taste of Tasmania over New Year.

On the not so good side, the shopping is crap, away from the waterfront which I love with its old Georgian warehouses, Hobart looks quite shabby and run down, a bit like a scruffy UK city in the 60s/70s.
Public transport is not great, no passenger trains, and the roads are poor in places. Simply because of the low population size - 500,000 and the size of the island - about the same as Ireland, the infrastructure and services are not as good as the mainland, this has it's pros and cons really as it was partly what attracted us to Tas and is partly now driving us nuts

Come along to the Tasmania thread, currently on the first page and you'll find many of us living here already and some who are still planning to come.

Sam

Last edited by Sammy T; May 5th 2009 at 11:42 pm.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi there

We live 20 mins South of Hobart, having moved from the UK last year.

Do I regret it? No, although I think my kids would have preferred somewhere a bit livelier. On the plus side, Tas has great scenery, amazing wild beautiful places where you can be the only ones there, weather is ok (ish) not hot or humid, four distinct seasons which I like but not the best choice if you're after beach life! Great food and wine scene, lots of wineries nearby, fantastic fresh fish and seafood, great local cheeses etc Great for sailing, kayaking etc, walking opportunities galore. Traffic is never too bad, I work in the city centre and driving in and out is a doddle, plus I get the lovely views of the harbour and the mountain as I leave work Good for events in the Summer, the finish of the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race is exciting as well as various food and wine festivals, the best one being the Taste of Tasmania over New Year.

On the not so good side, the shopping is crap, away from the waterfront which I love with its old Georgian warehouses, Hobart looks quite shabby and run down, a bit like a scruffy UK city in the 60s/70s.
Public transport is not great, no passenger trains, and the roads are poor in places. Simply because of the low population size - 500,000 and the size of the island - about the same as Ireland, the infrastructure and services are not as good as the mainland, this has it's pros and cons really as it was partly what attracted us to Tas and is partly now driving us nuts

Come along to the Tasmania thread, currently on the first page and you'll find many of us living here already and some who are still planning to come.

Sam
Thanks Sammy,

I will get onto the Tassie thread as soon as I can !!!!! We are currently living in Adelaide and If you have read my previous threads I have and always wanted to return to England,sadly my other half wants to live in Tassie and I am worried that there will not be enough there for me shopping places to drive Ect.... I know that I am no chicken now but bloody hell I want to live and have a little fun. I have also noticed for a small population there always seems to be an awful lot of property for sale in Tasmania,this concerns me as I think perhaps people go there to live and then find it all a little boring.

Thanks again for your reply will let you know if we make it there or the U.K.
cHEERS I.G.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Have pm'd you x