Hobart

Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

andy i is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hobart

Hi , About to emigrate to hobart, ( never been ! ) Whats it Like ? Whats the weather like ? Are the people friendly?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hobart

Originally Posted by andy i
Hi , About to emigrate to hobart, ( never been ! ) Whats it Like ? Whats the weather like ? Are the people friendly?
If you do a search on Tasmania you will find a few thread's on the Island that have been going for a while....with both locals and us hopefuls posting on there...
We went to Hobart in november as part of our visa-validating visit to Oz. We loved Tasmania and are definitely heading there. People we met were very friendly - the city is really nice (nowhere near as "backward" as people on the mainland tried to get us to believe!)...
Are you emigrating alone or with family? The weather is very different to the mainland - it does get hot - but i believe not unbearingly so, but it does get quite chilly in the winter - although not as cold as the UK! People have asked questions about the weather on the Tassie thread's before - so if you've got the time - read through the threads you find - you may have answers to many of your questions then...

What kind of visa do you have ? What do you do? There are plenty of jobs for certain trades / professions high in demand on the Island...

Hope this helps a little....
Cathy
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

andy i is an unknown quantity at this point

Cathy, Thanks for the reply. We,ve applied for a 136 ( full migration visa ) but its taking to long. So we may apply for a regional sponsored visa as my wife is a nurse and has a job offer from the royal Hobart hospital. I,m a newspaper printer and currently print , The Sun and the Times. Am also a qualified electrician. We are trying to sell our house at the moment but things are a bit slow. weve been unable to make our mind up between Melbourne and Hobart but i think weve finally decided on Hobart as its a much smaller city. I ve been commuting to London for the past 22 years so want a slower pace of life.

Thanks again for the reply. Andy i
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andy i
Cathy, Thanks for the reply. We,ve applied for a 136 ( full migration visa ) but its taking to long. So we may apply for a regional sponsored visa as my wife is a nurse and has a job offer from the royal Hobart hospital. I,m a newspaper printer and currently print , The Sun and the Times. Am also a qualified electrician. We are trying to sell our house at the moment but things are a bit slow. weve been unable to make our mind up between Melbourne and Hobart but i think weve finally decided on Hobart as its a much smaller city. I ve been commuting to London for the past 22 years so want a slower pace of life.

Thanks again for the reply. Andy i
Hi - good luck with the visa. My OH is also an Andy - we've got 136 visa's - on his trade as a sheetmetal worker/thermal insulation engineer. We got our visa's last April. We did use an agent for ours as we were unsure with all the info we had to prove the OH's work experience (he didnt have formal trade qualifications - only experience). Hopefully they'll be work out in Tas for him as he did meet with a few prospective employers back in November...so he just needs to meet up with some of them again whenever we eventually get there. We too were originally looking at other places - his sister has lived in perth for 17 years with her family but i never felt it was right for us during our visit in November - it would be far too hot for me for too much of the year. We still have Melbourne as an option - but only if Tasmania doesnt work out. We put our house up for sale this Saturday - had 2 viewings yesterday but haven't heard anything yet...but it's early days for us!
Not sure if you have any details for the Tassie government skilled migration people - but we have previously contacted some very helpful ladies there for info on bits and pieces....in our case it was stuff like schools etc...
If you'd like me to PM you one of their Email addresses let me know...
They can assist with info on regional sponsorship etc etc - and i know they allocate you a dedicated resettlement officer to help with employment, accomodation enquiries/general re-location enquiries etc etc....it's all a free service as the government are actively seeking skilled people on the Island so they have this dept just for this kind of thing..
One of the ladies does post on the site occasionally and they're very friendly.
Anyway, i wish you both the best of luck! Good luck with the visa's.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:32 am
AKA - Drop Bear

Tassie Bear has a spectacular aura aboutTassie Bear has a spectacular aura aboutTassie Bear has a spectacular aura about

Andy i

Go to the link below as its the forum for all the friendly people form Tas

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...smania&page=88