Hnc

Old Mar 17th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Hnc

Hiya everyone

We already have our PR visas and hope to move permanently to OZ later this year. We are going to validate the visa in April.
However, one thing that may slightly delay our permanent move is my Husband's college course.
He is currently doing a HNC in Construction and will not complete this part-time course until June 2008.

Can anyone tell me if this qualification is recognized in OZ? This will have a bearing on how soon we move as he may be better starting another course in Oz if the HNC is not recognized.

Anyone Help?

Cheers
Jo
Old Mar 17th 2007, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hnc

Yes the HNC is recognised in Queensland and you can obtain a free certificate of 'Overseas Qualification Assessment' from the Department of Employment and Training - Skills Recognition Service.

Address: Level 4, 543 Lutwyche Rd, PO Box 820, Lutwych OLD 4030.

Their assessment on my own HNC's - "The Higher National Certificate is assessed, in broad terms, at the educational level of an Australian (AQF) Advanced Diploma.

My wife's HND was assessed at the exact same level - you can imagine how happy she was at that, since it took her a year longer in study!

Personally I have found the mention of having an Advanced Diploma very well recived on applying for jobs

Hope this helps

Regards, Scot
Old Mar 17th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Thanks Scot

Your reply has been very helpful. Looks like we won't be moving until Summer2008!

Cheers
Jo
Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a reply to the same question I asked to a Qualifications recognition site...

For details about non-graduate level qualifications, please see the National qualifications Framework on the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority website, www.qca.org.uk/493_15772.html. It may also be helpful to contact UK NARIC, who is the official information provider on the comparability of international qualifications from over 180 countries worldwide. Their website is www.naric.org.uk.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Jocelynne Rowan
Communications
QAA
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotvness
Yes the HNC is recognised in Queensland and you can obtain a free certificate of 'Overseas Qualification Assessment' from the Department of Employment and Training - Skills Recognition Service.

Address: Level 4, 543 Lutwyche Rd, PO Box 820, Lutwych OLD 4030.

Their assessment on my own HNC's - "The Higher National Certificate is assessed, in broad terms, at the educational level of an Australian (AQF) Advanced Diploma.
HNCs are something of a grey area. Under the old system they were only assessed as equivalent to an Associate Diploma. I'm not sure if all HNCs would be assessed as diploma standard for every purpose.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hiya everyone

We already have our PR visas and hope to move permanently to OZ later this year. We are going to validate the visa in April.
However, one thing that may slightly delay our permanent move is my Husband's college course.
He is currently doing a HNC in Construction and will not complete this part-time course until June 2008.

Can anyone tell me if this qualification is recognized in OZ? This will have a bearing on how soon we move as he may be better starting another course in Oz if the HNC is not recognized.

Anyone Help?

Cheers
Jo
HNC's are assessed in all States and Territories as equivalent to an Australian Advanced Diploma. Of course, an Australian Advanced Diploma in Construction is probably more likely to impress a prospective employer than a British HNC in Construction as they will differ in content and construction rules and regulations will differ between the two countries.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896