Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HMRC - Oh how we love them!

HMRC - Oh how we love them!

Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:11 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default HMRC - Oh how we love them!

Ok folks, wanted to run this one by you, at the beginning of this year I was all organised and sent my NRL1 (overseas landlord) off to HMRC and once both of my P45's had arrived with my Step-Dad he sent the appropriate copies of those along with my P85 to the lovely HMRC. Back in May I received a letter saying that as my circumstances had changed (my thinking that was referring to my no longer being resident in the UK and the above documents had been the catalyst for this 'change in cirumstances' letter) but upon phoning the HMRC I was told that they didn't receive either of the above documents and that I would need to send them AGAIN! I am so annoyed because both of these documents were posted no further than 10 miles from the appropriate office they had to get to, at different times, and such a coincidence, BOTH OF THEM GOT LOST!!! :curse: I asked what had prompted the change in circumstances/need for a tax return letter but of course got nowhere.

So here I am, AGAIN filling in these bl**dy forms! What I'm wondering is this, I asked could I scan the completed documents to my step-Dad back home and he then print them out and post them from NI to NI saving me a substantial amount of money....I was told no, I had to send the originals, has anybody else managed to email documents directly to HMRC or someone else to print out as I really could do without the added expense and delay of sending them by snailmail from here!?

Also, one other thing, the parts of my P45's (I had two jobs, police officer/teacher thus there being two P45's) that were with the P85 are now lost, HMRC said they'd put this on my file but how can this be sorted if they are lost, can HMRC get new copies of these somehow, for my file?

ARGHHHHH,

Jen ...and relax...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:18 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMRC - Oh how we love them!

Also when I first filled in the P85 I didn't know our address in Australia, I obviously do now, but will I just leave that bit blank or tell them? lol Are there any advantages/disadvantages to them knowing it!? lol
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Also when I first filled in the P85 I didn't know our address in Australia, I obviously do now, but will I just leave that bit blank or tell them? lol Are there any advantages/disadvantages to them knowing it!? lol
Welll, going on past experience, you can get away without having either of the P45s or P60s. Took a while but the refund came through OK. As for the address I don't think it matters as long as they have a contact address somewhere.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jen,

You need to make your reply to them a letter of complaint and insist on a reply within 28 days, that way it will be dealt with as priority. Make sure that you point out that they certainly DID receive the documents as evidenced by them knowing about the change in your circumstances.

Explain about your original copies of your P45 etc. The tax office will have those details on their system so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps,
Ren
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:57 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hi Jen,

You need to make your reply to them a letter of complaint and insist on a reply within 28 days, that way it will be dealt with as priority. Make sure that you point out that they certainly DID receive the documents as evidenced by them knowing about the change in your circumstances.

Explain about your original copies of your P45 etc. The tax office will have those details on their system so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps,
Ren
TOO RITE, thanku, I'll be penning my cwoss letter to attach tonight! ARGHHHHHH THEY CRACK ME UP! The @rse doesn't seem to know what the elbow is doing in that place! lol
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am not surprised that things go missing at HMRC. My sister worked there for a short while after she left school many moons go. She worked with some people who did not even know the alphabet. Seriously. The filing was a mess.

Sorry no other practical advice. Although as you left in Febraruy have you thought about just doing a self assessment tax return for 2009/10 year? I did my husband's two weeks ago and he got his rebate within a week.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:10 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not surprised that things go missing at HMRC. My sister worked there for a short while after she left school many moons go. She worked with some people who did not even know the alphabet. Seriously. The filing was a mess.

Sorry no other practical advice. Although as you left in Febraruy have you thought about just doing a self assessment tax return for 2009/10 year? I did my husband's two weeks ago and he got his rebate within a week.
I have to do the UK tax return anyway BS, I'm thinking I'll need to get an accountant in the UK to help me, my Step-Dad's acc, as I haven't got a clue where to start! Wanna help me with it!? lol
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

Jen
The P45 is a multi part document and your employer should have sent one part of the P45 to HMRC so they should already have a copy of them

You may want to check with the employer that they have done this.

Hope this helps

Si
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Si T
Jen
The P45 is a multi part document and your employer should have sent one part of the P45 to HMRC so they should already have a copy of them

You may want to check with the employer that they have done this.

Hope this helps

Si
K, will see what the craic is...ta
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us did know our arses from our elbows, I worked there for 19 years
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

When they say lost, what they often really mean is "we can't be bothered to look for them". However, you say you posted them no more than 10 miles from their destination. If by that you mean somewhere in Northern Ireland, you've sent the NRL1 to the wrong address as the NRL1 goes to Bootle, unless your tax office was PD1 (which presumably it wasn't if your tax office was in Northern Ireland) - see here. That said, are you sure your tax office is local to you? It would most probably have been determined by your employer unless you had other sources of income. What does your employer's tax reference start with (xxx/...)? So it might be that your local office has forwarded the forms onto other offices....

Also, there's no point redoing the P85. The letter saying you don't need to do tax returns may have been a coincidence (if all your tax was in any case dealt with under PAYE) or it may have been because of the P85 being received, but either way you do need to do a tax return because you have rental income. Doing the tax return will generate a refund if you are entitled to one (which you will almost certainly be because you left your job before end February).

You can't communicate with HMRC by email but you can do a tax return online, although I'm not sure whether you have to have a UK address for the code you need to set up online filing to be sent to.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:20 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by RenShen
Some of us did know our arses from our elbows, I worked there for 19 years
I know, it was a sweeping statement but they have just really annoyed me...THEY MUST have got those docs, otherwise how would they have known my circumstances had changed?! lol
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by louie
When they say lost, what they often really mean is "we can't be bothered to look for them". However, you say you posted them no more than 10 miles from their destination. If by that you mean somewhere in Northern Ireland, you've sent the NRL1 to the wrong address as the NRL1 goes to Bootle, unless your tax office was PD1 (which presumably it wasn't if your tax office was in Northern Ireland) - see here. That said, are you sure your tax office is local to you? It would most probably have been determined by your employer unless you had other sources of income. What does your employer's tax reference start with (xxx/...)? So it might be that your local office has forwarded the forms onto other offices....

Also, there's no point redoing the P85. The letter saying you don't need to do tax returns may have been a coincidence (if all your tax was in any case dealt with under PAYE) or it may have been because of the P85 being received, but either way you do need to do a tax return because you have rental income. Doing the tax return will generate a refund if you are entitled to one (which you will almost certainly be because you left your job before end February).

You can't communicate with HMRC by email but you can do a tax return online, although I'm not sure whether you have to have a UK address for the code you need to set up online filing to be sent to.
Sent the NRL1 to Bootle, I stand corrected, sorry...been told this time round to send it to Lisburn and they'll forward it to Bootle for me...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:25 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by louie

The letter said I DO need to do a tax return, and they have asked me to redo both the NRL1 and the P85...so I guess I'm just doing as I'm told. I know the tax return can be done online, I just wish I could send those docs electronically to save myself a few pennies...

The Tax Reference number begins with 953 and I have spoken to various people at the Moira House office, which I presume is in Lisburn as that's where they've asked me to send the docs!?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:54 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

NRL1 - Q 17 - Do you consider that you are entitled to UK personal tax allowances?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.