Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HMAS Adelaide in East Timor

HMAS Adelaide in East Timor

Old May 26th 2006, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice
Default HMAS Adelaide in East Timor

HI Guys,

Found out 10pm last night that HMAS Adelaide is in Dilli Harbour as back up support for our troops.

My son is on the Adelaide and now I watch Sky News constantly! I know he is doing what he has been trained for, he maybe 20 and confident but he is still my baby boy!!!

Anyone else on here going through/been through similar, would love to hear from you.
Regards
sal
Old May 26th 2006, 1:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMAS Adelaide in East Timor

Originally Posted by invictia
HI Guys,

Found out 10pm last night that HMAS Adelaide is in Dilli Harbour as back up support for our troops.

My son is on the Adelaide and now I watch Sky News constantly! I know he is doing what he has been trained for, he maybe 20 and confident but he is still my baby boy!!!

Anyone else on here going through/been through similar, would love to hear from you.
Regards
sal
Not been though anything like it, just wanted to say good luck to your lad, and hope he gets back safely.
Old May 26th 2006, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

astonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura about

Did 20 years in RAN including much time O/S Peacekeeping etc. I am 150% confident he will be looked after. Forget the crap in the papers lately they will have a great team onboard. I probably know the captain. Whats the co's name and what does your son do onboard?
Old May 26th 2006, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

HI Guys,

Regards
sal

just wanted to offer support i'm an army wife so understand some of your concerns and worries, my hubby so far has done 2 gulf wars and thankfully is some where safer now.
Mandy
Old May 26th 2006, 3:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

HI Guys,

Regards
sal
In 1985-6 I spent a year on combat operations with a South African Infantry Battalion in Namibia & Angola. Generally I had a pretty unpleasant & scary time but I know my mother went through hell too. My mother told me that the worst day of her life was when it was announced on the news back home that 4 guys from my Battalion were killed on an operation that I was involved in too. She was convinced that I had been killed & as I had no way of contacting her & the army wouldn't tell her where I was, she worried herself silly. I managed to get a letter to her a few weeks later & only then did she know that I was safe.

Godspeed to 3/4 RAR, the other army units & the RAN in East Timor. I'm sure they'll do us proud
Old May 28th 2006, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In 1985-6 I spent a year on combat operations with a South African Infantry Battalion in Namibia & Angola. Generally I had a pretty unpleasant & scary time but I know my mother went through hell too. My mother told me that the worst day of her life was when it was announced on the news back home that 4 guys from my Battalion were killed on an operation that I was involved in too. She was convinced that I had been killed & as I had no way of contacting her & the army wouldn't tell her where I was, she worried herself silly. I managed to get a letter to her a few weeks later & only then did she know that I was safe.

Godspeed to 3/4 RAR, the other army units & the RAN in East Timor. I'm sure they'll do us proud
Thanks guys.............Robs a sonar operator on the Adelaide, so far no word from him but according to what I've read and seen they are anchored in the habour with HMAS Kanibla and 2 others are on the way, should be there end of tomorrow, worrying time but trying not to think about it, even got mobile phone on sky news website!!!!
He was due home on 16 june but I have no idea if/when that will happen now!
if anyone is interested the following link will take you to the operations infor page, it also has some brill piccies!
www.defence.gov.au/opastute

Will keep all informed as and when.
regards
sally
Old May 29th 2006, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.............Robs a sonar operator on the Adelaide, so far no word from him but according to what I've read and seen they are anchored in the habour with HMAS Kanibla and 2 others are on the way, should be there end of tomorrow, worrying time but trying not to think about it, even got mobile phone on sky news website!!!!
He was due home on 16 june but I have no idea if/when that will happen now!
if anyone is interested the following link will take you to the operations infor page, it also has some brill piccies!
www.defence.gov.au/opastute

Will keep all informed as and when.
regards
sally
Update----------just heard that Adelaide and Success have left Dili to continue with their other operations, which means he is going to be home bout 16 June as planned...........will admit I have breathed large sigh of relief!
Cheers
sal x
Old May 29th 2006, 1:30 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Update----------just heard that Adelaide and Success have left Dili to continue with their other operations, which means he is going to be home bout 16 June as planned...........will admit I have breathed large sigh of relief!
Cheers
sal x
Really glad to hear that he is on his way home to you.

Must be huge weight off your mind.

xRachx
Old May 29th 2006, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Really glad to hear that he is on his way home to you.

Must be huge weight off your mind.

xRachx
Hi Rach,

Yeah, sure is!!!!!!!!! Feel nothing can go wrong today now! Suppose I had better get back to work!!!! Its cold and raining here in Perth, freezing this morning!
love sal x