Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default History of suburb names in Perth

http://www.dola.wa.gov.au/home.nsf/1...e?OpenDocument
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:33 pm
Be true to your skew

Default Re: History of suburb names in Perth

INNALOO
The area of this suburb was originally known by the Aboriginal name "Njookenbooroo" (sometimes spelt Ngurgenboro or Noorgenboro). This name was too difficult to pronounce or spell, and in 1927 an alternative name was sought. A list of Aboriginal words compiled by Daisy Bates was provided and "Innaloo", the name of an Aboriginal woman from Dongara was chosen. The name was approved in 1927.

Ahh thats why the local pub in Innaloo ia called the "Nookenburra".
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:26 pm
Be true to your skew

Originally posted by Pookin
INNALOO
The area of this suburb was originally known by the Aboriginal name "Njookenbooroo" (sometimes spelt Ngurgenboro or Noorgenboro). This name was too difficult to pronounce or spell, and in 1927 an alternative name was sought. A list of Aboriginal words compiled by Daisy Bates was provided and "Innaloo", the name of an Aboriginal woman from Dongara was chosen. The name was approved in 1927.

Ahh thats why the local pub in Innaloo ia called the "Nookenburra".
Back to the subject of history, that is one of the things I miss in Oz - a sense of history/ancestry/continuity.

For example when I lived in Nottingham, my local was built in 1072. There was a sense of history, almost a whiff of ancestry - all the lives lived, passions spent, battles fought (god I sound like a Mills and Boon novel).

We used to camp on a Danish hill fort in the Summer in Hampshire.
It had a magical atmosphere - when we lit our fire for warmth/cooking, we felt like we were continuing a long tradition on that hill.

Does anyone else know what I mean?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pookin
Back to the subject of history, that is one of the things I miss in Oz - a sense of history/ancestry/continuity.

For example when I lived in Nottingham, my local was built in 1072. There was a sense of history, almost a whiff of ancestry - all the lives lived, passions spent, battles fought (god I sound like a Mills and Boon novel).

We used to camp on a Danish hill fort in the Summer in Hampshire.
It had a magical atmosphere - when we lit our fire for warmth/cooking, we felt like we were continuing a long tradition on that hill.

Does anyone else know what I mean?
Ta Pookin - added that to my favourites.
In answer to your question - yes and no.
Yes because I have experienced that "steeped in history" feeling... but no because if you think about it, just because there aren't loads of buildings around, doesn't mean there isn't any history. Perhaps it would be interesting to research aboriginal history in more depth, looking for other remains, like rock paintings etc.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:06 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thanks. Very interesting.
So it's mostly english or scottish names, or aboriginal names/words. Kalamunda, a settlement in the forest, well, yes it was ans still is!

Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pookin great website, fascinating have added it to Moving Down Under Know what you mean about the history. Guess you need to be interested in that sort of thing for it to matter.

Although its not quite the same I find it sad that some beautiful "old" (for Australia) houses and gardens are being ripped up to be replaced by faceless units.

Also a lot of the aboriginal tradition and history was destroyed a long time ago, its good to see in some places here in Perth there are plaques telling the importance of an area to the aborigines and what happened there.

In terms of archaeological history there are places here that are awesome and make me relise that our history (UK) is just a blip in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 27th 2003 at 5:59 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:44 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by karawara88
Pookin great website, fascinating have added it to Moving Down Under Know what you mean about the history. Guess you need to be interested in that sort of thing for it to matter.

Although its not quite the same I find it sad that some beautiful "old" (for Australia) houses and gardens are being ripped up to be replaced by faceless units.

Also a lot of the aboriginal tradition and history was destroyed a long time ago, its good to see in some places here in Perth there are plaques telling the importance of an area to the aborigines and what happened there.

In terms of archaeological history there are places here that are awesome and make me relise that our history (UK) is just a blip in the grand scheme of things.
Have you ever seen the shell middens in the north of NT? Amazing mounds of shells, where aborigines deposited the remains of thier dinner for thousands of years. They really are huge.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:27 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Similar thing for QLD...
http://www.ucaqld.com.au/~piula/Plac...es%20index.htm
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:11 am
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Similar thing for QLD...
http://www.ucaqld.com.au/~piula/Plac...es%20index.htm
thanks for the Queensland link - it was going to be my next question.