Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

History of 'POM'??

History of 'POM'??

Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:48 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default History of 'POM'??

Does anyone know where the term POM came from??

I was told once that it went back to the convict days - namley Prisoner Of Majesty (POM)

Any thoughts anyone?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:52 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: History of 'POM'??

Originally Posted by wargod

I was told once that it went back to the convict days - namley Prisoner Of Majesty (POM)

Any thoughts anyone?
you have been reliably informed it comes from convict days and is an anacronym for Prisoners of Her majesty!! Strange to call us brits it though, logic would say it would be more fitting to call the Auzzies it!!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hayleyhails
you have been reliably informed it comes from convict days and is an anacronym for Prisoners of Her majesty!! Strange to call us brits it though, logic would say it would be more fitting to call the Auzzies it!!
nothing to do with the Englieh love of Pom de terre ?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:57 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Innyjim
nothing to do with the Englieh love of Pom de terre ?

nice observation, maybe i have got it wrong, we certainly do love our potoatos!!!!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:36 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Any thoughts anyone?
See my tag line on the left!!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:43 pm
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Someone told us it was "people of means".

But here's another definition:

"Pom," Australian slang for a British immigrant, is short for "pomegranate," which (sort of) rhymes with "Jimmy Grant," which in turn began as a playful rhyme with "immigrant."

Strange Logic!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:55 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

As said above, the original POM was for the convicts... "Prisoners Of his Majesty". I`ve also heard POME (Pommie): "Prisoner of Mother England".

As an Aussie, I think that since there are no more convicts, that the reason English people are called Pom`s is because they are the Prisoners of Mother England now... `cos that`s what you are, even after you escape to Aus.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Originally Posted by molloymj
Someone told us it was "people of means".

But here's another definition:

"Pom," Australian slang for a British immigrant, is short for "pomegranate," which (sort of) rhymes with "Jimmy Grant," which in turn began as a playful rhyme with "immigrant."

Strange Logic!
Check out these links for some other ideas:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pom1.htm

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Article771.html

Bottom line looks to be that no one really knows...

Gav
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:27 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyhails
Cheers all,

Haleyhails - i double dog dare you to try it !!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:36 pm

Cheers all,

Haleyhails - i double dog dare you to try it !!

it was a mere observation and i wouldn't wish to offend. I've seen the arguments/debates generated here and i don't think it would be wise to indulge, you may do so on my behalf if you REALLY want to!!!!!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molloymj
"Pom," Australian slang for a British immigrant,
It's not generally applied to Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish immigrants.

Jeremy
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:01 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Spot on, Jeremy.....

We've never once been called Poms in 2 years of living here, & any Aussie I've asked about it, always say that it only ever applies to the English.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:48 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of
Cool Re: History of 'POM'??

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Only as an insult!!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
Only as an insult!!
You bet.