Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car from Melbourne

Hiring a car from Melbourne

Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Hiring a car from Melbourne

We are hoping to hire a car for a couple of wks from melbourne and are going to be going to Phillip Is. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go, also do most companies require you take it back there or might they have somewhere nearer it can be dropped off?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a car from Melbourne

Originally Posted by iainandsam
We are hoping to hire a car for a couple of wks from melbourne and are going to be going to Phillip Is. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go, also do most companies require you take it back there or might they have somewhere nearer it can be dropped off?
Hi,
You'll be able to hire a car from the airport and drop it off at another location. Are you going to be living on Phillip Island or just visiting? Avis have a rental location at Wonthaggi which isn't too far from Phillip Island. Haven't checked all the others.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:56 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You pay a surchage to COLLECT the car from an airport location and another one to DROP OFF somewhere else.

You should be able to get a car for about $50 a day.

If you have travel insurance, look at your policy to see if it covers VEHICLE RENTAL EXCESS. Most hire companies here have a standard excess of about $3000 which would usually cost $25-30 a day (in addition to the $50 rental) to reduce to say $300. Your travel insurance may, however, cover that risk so you may not need the extra (expensive) insurance sold by the hire car company.

All the 'famous' hire car companies are here including Europcar, Hertz, Thrifty. I have a preference for Hertz myself and you can collect Frequent Flyer Points with them.

If you have children, make sure you check the rules in advance for any booster seating required. You will need to order these in advance at a cost of about another $10/day.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

For longish rentals you can get discounts (say 7 days for the price of 5) if you have something called an Entertainment Book.

Does anyone on here have the codes for discount car rental from a current MELBOURNE Entertainment Book??
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:21 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I used rent a bomb and got a nearly new car 2006 model for less than half the price of your rent an avis etc.

Bargain, good car, did the job.

Make sure you see the penguins when you go to Phillip IslandTake a warm jacket!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Hi, we used Thrifty when we first arrived and again recently for visiting relatives. Here's a link to their site http://www.thrifty.com.au/

There are quite a few car hire companies in the Frankston area (Mornington Peninsula) which is on your way down from the city to Phillip Island. Most companies will charge you a small amount to return the car to a different destination. Where were you thinking of hiring and returning to? There's also a train that goes from Flinders St. to Frankston St. if this helps with your travel plans. I'm sure the car hire company wouldn't mind picking you up if you have a booking. They are not far from the station anyway.

Phillip Island. You can buy a 3 Park Pass http://www.penguins.org.au/content.asp?pg=106
There's also the Race Circuit http://www.phillipislandcircuit.com.au/
Your children might like the Pearcedale Moonlit Santuary too http://www.pearcedale.com/ It's on your way to Phillip Island.

Also, there are loads of bucket and spade shops in the main street on Phillip Island so if the weather is good there's also several beaches. Mind out for the surf on some though.

HTH's
Caroline

Last edited by Caroline G; Mar 19th 2008 at 2:52 am.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the very useful info, yes we are planning on living there. Have friends who run a caravan park so will prob start there then see if there is enough work in surrounding areas for hubbie who is a Carpenter, i'm a secondary school teacher and i understand there is one on the island and some not too far.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Choice will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the very useful info, yes we are planning on living there. Have friends who run a caravan park so will prob start there then see if there is enough work in surrounding areas for hubbie who is a Carpenter, i'm a secondary school teacher and i understand there is one on the island and some not too far.
When my dad was here recently, I got a quote from the internet but then decided to actually book in person. The price shot up by almost 50% to book in person, so my advice would be to book on the internet and then sort out insurance when you get there. Good luck