Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hilton`s update - first 5 months in Oz!

Hilton`s update - first 5 months in Oz!

Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:32 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all
Default Hilton`s update - first 5 months in Oz!

Well we have been in Oz for 5 months now and I thought I would let anybody who is interested know how we are getting on.

Myself, my husband and 2 sons aged 15 and 17 at the time arrived in Oz middle of Nov 05. We spent a week with my husbands brother and his family in Brisbane and then a week with my best friend from England who happens to now be living in Helensvale on the Gold Coast.

When we first arrived I felt sick to the stomach and couldn`t believe what we had done. I think a lot of it was pure guilt as we had had a terrible time before we left, what with all of our goodbyes and the boys were distraught saying bye to all of their friends. I don`t think I could plysically eat for 2 weeks. Unfortunately that didn`t last! lol!

Anyway Mick, my husband got offered a job in the 2nd week and so started work almost immediately which was a stroke of luck.

We found a house to buy in the 2nd week as well which I know is quick but we didn`t want to waste too much money on renting. Anyway, we ended up renting a unit on a complex for 7 weeks as the people we bought the house from didn`t want to move out until the 12th Jan 06.

Anyway, we carried on as best as we could but all the time I was feeling really guilty about the boys not making friends, because they were on school holiday until Jan so didn`t have any chance to meet anybody.

Jan 12th finally came and we moved into our new house and we were all more settled but I just still was unhappy deep down and wasn`t sure if I wanted to be here or not. The boys settled into school okay although my eldest had a bad time at the beginning of Feb when it was his 18th birthday and he was really upset and so that upset all of us. Anyway I think I reacted wrong and was pushing them to make friends and we had this huge row and they told me to stop worrying about them and that the friends they had in England they had taken years to make and it was going to take time over here as well. They were of course, so right. I stopped worrying so much and "Bob`s your uncle" they are now going out with friends and the oldest one often stays round friends houses and their social lives seem to be getting better by the week.

My husband has always loved it here in Oz but if any of us are not happy then of course he worries like hell but if we are okay then so is he.

I am still finding it difficult to get work here as you do seem to need a certificate to do anything but something will come up eventually and where before, I just worried continually, I don`t now and I love it here.

You just can`t beat the weather, I know it`s not everything but waking up to bright sunshine sure beats grey miserable clouds and you can actually plan days out or just lounging in the garden and it is good to know pretty much for sure that the sun will be shining and even if it`s not it won`t be cold.

The people have been so friendly and welcoming and we haven`t encountered one bit of pom bashing as they call it. I know it could happen but I also know that you are going to encounter nasty people wherever in the world you live.

I`m also smiling from ear to ear at the moment as our swimming pool was finished yesterday and we had a day around it today, from 6am this morning until 6pm tonight. Now, in the UK we would have to have a lottery win to own what we have got here in Oz!

So, for now I`m very happy and long may this feeling continue!!!

Tracey x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:38 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hilton`s update - first 5 months in Oz!

Tracey,

What a lovely read, I raced through it the first time because I was worried that you were going to say the boys didnt settle. So glad that they have.
I know exactly what you mean about the guilt over the children, isnt wonderful 5 months down the line when they are so happy. I know what you mean about the blue skies too, I open my bedroom blinds before I go to sleep so that when I wake up I am looking out to trees, birds and blue sky.
Hope you find work soon, we have had the same problem although the other way round, I found full time work early on but my husband is still hunting 6 months down the line.

Sharon
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
Well we have been in Oz for 5 months now and I thought I would let anybody who is interested know how we are getting on.

Myself, my husband and 2 sons aged 15 and 17 at the time arrived in Oz middle of Nov 05. We spent a week with my husbands brother and his family in Brisbane and then a week with my best friend from England who happens to now be living in Helensvale on the Gold Coast.

When we first arrived I felt sick to the stomach and couldn`t believe what we had done. I think a lot of it was pure guilt as we had had a terrible time before we left, what with all of our goodbyes and the boys were distraught saying bye to all of their friends. I don`t think I could plysically eat for 2 weeks. Unfortunately that didn`t last! lol!

Anyway Mick, my husband got offered a job in the 2nd week and so started work almost immediately which was a stroke of luck.

We found a house to buy in the 2nd week as well which I know is quick but we didn`t want to waste too much money on renting. Anyway, we ended up renting a unit on a complex for 7 weeks as the people we bought the house from didn`t want to move out until the 12th Jan 06.

Anyway, we carried on as best as we could but all the time I was feeling really guilty about the boys not making friends, because they were on school holiday until Jan so didn`t have any chance to meet anybody.

Jan 12th finally came and we moved into our new house and we were all more settled but I just still was unhappy deep down and wasn`t sure if I wanted to be here or not. The boys settled into school okay although my eldest had a bad time at the beginning of Feb when it was his 18th birthday and he was really upset and so that upset all of us. Anyway I think I reacted wrong and was pushing them to make friends and we had this huge row and they told me to stop worrying about them and that the friends they had in England they had taken years to make and it was going to take time over here as well. They were of course, so right. I stopped worrying so much and "Bob`s your uncle" they are now going out with friends and the oldest one often stays round friends houses and their social lives seem to be getting better by the week.

My husband has always loved it here in Oz but if any of us are not happy then of course he worries like hell but if we are okay then so is he.

I am still finding it difficult to get work here as you do seem to need a certificate to do anything but something will come up eventually and where before, I just worried continually, I don`t now and I love it here.

You just can`t beat the weather, I know it`s not everything but waking up to bright sunshine sure beats grey miserable clouds and you can actually plan days out or just lounging in the garden and it is good to know pretty much for sure that the sun will be shining and even if it`s not it won`t be cold.

The people have been so friendly and welcoming and we haven`t encountered one bit of pom bashing as they call it. I know it could happen but I also know that you are going to encounter nasty people wherever in the world you live.

I`m also smiling from ear to ear at the moment as our swimming pool was finished yesterday and we had a day around it today, from 6am this morning until 6pm tonight. Now, in the UK we would have to have a lottery win to own what we have got here in Oz!

Tracey x
I guess it takes a while to settle but it sounds overall as though you have definitely made the right decision.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:45 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post tracey...glad things are settling down now and your boys are enjoying it too! Still waiting for spring to arrive here in the UK, its like winter up here in Manchester...but at least its not raining.............yet!

Love Jackie x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:50 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Tracey,

What a lovely read, I raced through it the first time because I was worried that you were going to say the boys didnt settle. So glad that they have.
I know exactly what you mean about the guilt over the children, isnt wonderful 5 months down the line when they are so happy. I know what you mean about the blue skies too, I open my bedroom blinds before I go to sleep so that when I wake up I am looking out to trees, birds and blue sky.
Hope you find work soon, we have had the same problem although the other way round, I found full time work early on but my husband is still hunting 6 months down the line.

Sharon
Hiya Sharon,

I really feel as if I was one big stressball but now that the boys have settled more I feel as if a weight has been lifted. The stupid thing is that they weren`t complaining in the first place!!

I will keep my fingers crossed that your husband finds work soon.

Tracey x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:54 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Sharon,

I really feel as if I was one big stressball but now that the boys have settled more I feel as if a weight has been lifted. The stupid thing is that they weren`t complaining in the first place!!

Tracey x
Tracey can I ask you about the price of houses. I spend ages trawling through realestate.com looking at all the gorgeous properties (that I won't be able to afford). I just wondered, did you look at those websites before you went and are they a true reflection of property prices or can you still find lovely properties at a cheaper price than you see on the websites? Thanks muchly, love Jackie x

ps. Sharon, I hope your hubby finds work too as well. x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:59 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Hiya Sharon,

Tracey x

Crap being a mum at times innit I think our worst fear is if our kids are unhappy , and of course their probably coping better than we think
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:32 pm
Hilton`s

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Tracey can I ask you about the price of houses. I spend ages trawling through realestate.com looking at all the gorgeous properties (that I won't be able to afford). I just wondered, did you look at those websites before you went and are they a true reflection of property prices or can you still find lovely properties at a cheaper price than you see on the websites? Thanks muchly, love Jackie x

ps. Sharon, I hope your hubby finds work too as well. x
Hiya Jackie,

Oh yes, we lived on the net looking at realestate.com and I would say that what you see on the websites is a true reflection of what the prices are but there are still the odd bargains to be had. It just depends what you are able to pay and where you want to be. Also how desperate the vendors are to sell!

Hope this helps.

Tracey x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:33 pm
Hilton`s

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Crap being a mum at times innit I think our worst fear is if our kids are unhappy , and of course their probably coping better than we think
Yes, you`re so right!

Tracey x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 1:19 pm
Living the Dream!

Hiya Jackie,

Oh yes, we lived on the net looking at realestate.com and I would say that what you see on the websites is a true reflection of what the prices are but there are still the odd bargains to be had. It just depends what you are able to pay and where you want to be. Also how desperate the vendors are to sell!

Hope this helps.

Tracey x
Thanks Tracey!

Some of the properties are gorgeous! I actually love the queenslanders!
Old Apr 12th 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey x
fab post thanks tracey. how are the boys now, cos thats my worry that mine wont make friends easily?! enjoy the pool eh you lucky girl
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:13 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are settling in well Tracy
Can I ask whereabouts you are living?
I've got kids of a similar age so it's good to hear your kids are enjoying it all.
Julie. x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a lovely post to read I too have 2 boys 15 and 17 and am absolutely consumed with guilt about taking them away from their friends here.
I'm so happy to hear that your boys have settled in well, and well done on finding a house so quickly

Lorraine.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Thankyou for your great post. I am so glad your kids have settled well and are all enjoying your new lives, all the best for your future.
Nicky x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Tracey x
Hiya Trace
Sorry I have not been in touch, but I have had my parents over from the UK. Glad to hear that all is well with you.

Will give you a ring soon.

love debsxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.