Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hilly green Suburbs of Melbourne

Hilly green Suburbs of Melbourne

Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:54 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Re: Hilly green Suburbs of Melbourne

Emerald? Cockatoo? Gembrook?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering, how green do you want it? All the places mentioned so far are effectively semi-rural (more countryside than town) whereas looking at a streetview of ferny hills it looks more suburban, albeit close to countryside. If you want something more suburban but with great parks and tree lined streets then you could go somewhere like Kew or Mt Waverly.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Just wondering, how green do you want it? All the places mentioned so far are effectively semi-rural (more countryside than town) whereas looking at a streetview of ferny hills it looks more suburban, albeit close to countryside. If you want something more suburban but with great parks and tree lined streets then you could go somewhere like Kew or Mt Waverly.
Kew - expensive. Quite easily spend a million on a house in Kew.

Mount Waverley not that cheap nowadays either.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Closest one mentioned so far, has to be Greensborough, which is 44 mins on the Train.... I just checked via Metlink. I doubt if Greensborough would be 'Green' enough personally.... it's a bit like Mill Park, with Hills. Eltham is 51 mins on the train, without getting to the station.... It's definitely Green enough though. I'd be surprised if the subs out east are closer/quicker.
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
As the OP mentioned 40mins, I can tell you now - most of these Hills places are more like an hour...by train in the rushhour. Car is faster but you need to leave earlier.
Montmorency, one stop past Greensborough on the Hurtsbridge line is 35 minutes on an express train in the morning and the evening. They run at 20 minutes interval between say 6.45 and 9.00am and between 3.45 and 7.00pm. Most people who work in the CBD commute at those times and therefore spend less than 40 minutes on the train. Eltham is about 3 minutes past Montmorency so it could be included in the less than 40 minutes commute.

It's true that Greensborough is not as green as Montmorency, Eltham and the other villages to Hurtsbridge, but it does have a hilly side of it, around St Helena and Greenhills, but they're a bit further from the station.

As usual though, choice of suburb will depend on what the OP can afford to rent/buy and what they are after (house on big block, unit...)
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:19 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a view from Monbulk heading up towards Olinda.

On a clear day you can see all the way across towards Healesville/Toolangi etc.

heres another one.

Heres the view from our deck

This is what I see looking out of my window at work

and this is the B&B in Kallista were we originally stayed when we arrived 3 years ago.

Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Heres a view from Monbulk heading up towards Olinda.

On a clear day you can see all the way across towards Healesville/Toolangi etc.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...y/IMG_0917.jpg

heres another one.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...y/IMG_0916.jpg

Heres the view from our deck

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...y/100_0533.jpg

This is what I see looking out of my window at work

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...y/IMG_0410.jpg

and this is the B&B in Kallista were we originally stayed when we arrived 3 years ago.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...y/100_0403.jpg
It's bloody terrible isn't it?

[where's the falling asleep icon when you need one?]
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:31 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
It's bloody terrible isn't it?

[where's the falling asleep icon when you need one?]
I know. Its lovely and relaxing isn't it

Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
It's true that Greensborough is not as green as Montmorency, Eltham and the other villages to Hurtsbridge, but it does have a hilly side of it, around St Helena and Greenhills, but they're a bit further from the station.

As usual though, choice of suburb will depend on what the OP can afford to rent/buy and what they are after (house on big block, unit...)
Thanks for pointing out those burbs I am not so familiar with. I like the NE. There is a whole corridor of sort of green towns - is how I see them.

Sure I categorise these places as green but not 'semi-rural'/hills - and 'hills' don't have to be semi-rural.. There are subtle levels here(!)
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Kew - expensive. Quite easily spend a million on a house in Kew.

Mount Waverley not that cheap nowadays either.
Nice places to live though.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Not much to do in Mount Waverley.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:56 am
Account Closed

Not much to do in Mount Waverley.
Good cycling around there.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:06 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

yes but won't get much change from $1.5 million. The hills outside melbourne are alot cheaper. probably get a nice big house with a pool and a few acres for half that in the Dandenongs.

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 7th 2010 at 1:09 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mohogony
yes but won't get much change from $1.5 million. The hills outside melbourne are alot cheaper. probably get a nice big house with a pool and a few acres for half that in the Dandenongs.
Yes but you won't get to the CBD within 40 mins.

I can see you an Dean are focused on the money rather than my point.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Good cycling around there.
What? On the bike track?

If that's what you call good cycling.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes but you won't get to the CBD within 40 mins.

I can see you an Dean are focused on the money rather than my point.
The areas can be as good as anything but it's a moot point of a person can't afford to live there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.