Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hills District, Sydney?

Hills District, Sydney?

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hills District, Sydney?

Hi,

We are coming out next July/August and are really unsure as to where to live. Just to bang on a bit about ourselves , we have a number of reasons as to why we wanted to move to Oz (as well as having family near!), include cutting down on husband's commute time (currently 3 1/2 hours a day) and to be able to provide the children (6 and 2) with a little more space and freedom.

The Hills district (seen some land in West Pennant Hills to buy) looks affordable but it is the travelling distance that worries me. Different websites have it taking different times to reach the CBD. I gather it is around 25 kms distance but in rush hour does anyone have any ideas as to how long it would take to drive in standard 8am traffic?

Another option is to move closer and buy an old bungalow on the lower North shore but with an exceptionally lively (hyperactive) 6 year old I am not sure how fair that would be? Husband and I also enjoy city life and the odd night out or two and a bit of shopping would be nice, it's just trying to find a balance and I am flummoxed as to where that could be? I know we want to put all of our eggs in one basket but just interested in any opinions or suggestions of areas please, would you recommend The Hills district based on all of this?

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:16 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hills District, Sydney?

Originally Posted by ginaf
Hi,

We are coming out next July/August and are really unsure as to where to live. Just to bang on a bit about ourselves , we have a number of reasons as to why we wanted to move to Oz (as well as having family near!), include cutting down on husband's commute time (currently 3 1/2 hours a day) and to be able to provide the children (6 and 2) with a little more space and freedom.

The Hills district (seen some land in West Pennant Hills to buy) looks affordable but it is the travelling distance that worries me. Different websites have it taking different times to reach the CBD. I gather it is around 25 kms distance but in rush hour does anyone have any ideas as to how long it would take to drive in standard 8am traffic?

Another option is to move closer and buy an old bungalow on the lower North shore but with an exceptionally lively (hyperactive) 6 year old I am not sure how fair that would be? Husband and I also enjoy city life and the odd night out or two and a bit of shopping would be nice, it's just trying to find a balance and I am flummoxed as to where that could be? I know we want to put all of our eggs in one basket but just interested in any opinions or suggestions of areas please, would you recommend The Hills district based on all of this?

Thanks
When we first came to Sydney we were looking at the Baulkham Hills area, Castle Hill was our favourite, however we just never got a gut feeling that was it, until we went south of the St. Georges river and found what we were looking for. To be honest we just found all the roads ect a huge problem, the transport links were just not there and it felt like we were stuck in traffic for ages, but that may have been just for that day who knows, you need to visit and get a feel for the place before you can say yes to that area. It's alright researching on the internet sites ect but to actually be there and do it is another matter, very nice area though.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gina

We live in the Hills district. We are happy here, and it's certainly a good area for families - good school, good social clubs - sports, dance, art, etc etc etc etc. Pennant Hills is on the rail line into Sydney, so would you husband consider commuting in by train? There is also a pretty good bus service into the CBD - I think it's called the Hills Bus. It is specifically for commuters. The drive would not be great (the bus can use special bus lanes which is why it's quicker), but also you have to consider parking in the CBD. Unless it is provided by the company it could work out very expensive for him. If he set out at 8 am in the car (or on the train / bus) he would not make it into work for 9am....maybe just, by train.

As to night's out - well again - you have the option of the train if you want to go into central Sydney, or you could just stay closer to home. There is decent night life and restaurants all over the place.

The other areas mentioned by the other poster are also nice. However, they are that bit further out and do not have a rail link into the city.

Hope that helps a little bit, please feel free to PM me - we've been in the Hills for 3 years now so I am happy to answer any questions you have.

Rudi
x

Originally Posted by ginaf
Hi,

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the responses, unfortunately we don't have time for a reccie as we are going out in 9 months.

Rudi, fantastic thanks. 131500 quoted travelling time as 1 hr 10 mins by bus, I was thinking car might be quicker as I didn't realise there were bus lanes. The commute sounds just a little bit too far for us perhaps but travelling by train is fine. I notice you have meet ups in the area so I will certainly bring my brood along to those, look forwards to seeing you then!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:11 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

We have spent many months over the last 9 years visiting rellies in the Hills District Baulkham Hills/ Northmead and we did intend living there when we emigrated to Australia (it's a long story but we moved to Melbourne a week after emigrating 3 years ago and would never leave now!). We looked at Winston Hills and North Rocks both are nice and quiet in the estates but there is a fair bit of traffic on the main roads. Would your husband have to work in the city? A lot of people in that area work in Paramatta or Homebush so it's not quite as big a commute.

The Chinese in Northmead (Blue Dragon I think) does the best Salt and Pepper Prawns!

LJJ