Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hillbank Adelaide

Hillbank Adelaide

Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all
Default Hillbank Adelaide

Can anyone tell me what it is like to live in the Hillbank area of Adelaide?
What's the schooling/crime rate etc like?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hillbank Adelaide

Originally Posted by rightruccus
Can anyone tell me what it is like to live in the Hillbank area of Adelaide?
What's the schooling/crime rate etc like?
Hillbank is in the Elizabeth area of Adelaide, which is not one of the better suburbs according to many.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Thanks Dorothy
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:43 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy
Yes it is close to Elizabeth ,{heaven forbid] there are house there rangeing from Low 200k up to 1mill +[with acerage ] on black top road , don,t worry it is a great place to live , dont listen to all the b-sh*t...........mm
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Now i'm confused.... not hard to do i know
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Yes it is close to Elizabeth ,{heaven forbid] there are house there rangeing from Low 200k up to 1mill +[with acerage ] on black top road , don,t worry it is a great place to live , dont listen to all the b-sh*t...........mm
I said according to many, not according to me. I have never lived in Elizabeth, but when I lived in Adelaide heard that it was a less than desirable area. Don't forget, I also lived in a less than desirable area of Adelaide and loved it. (We were in Klemzig) If Elizabeth is so great, why don't you tell the OP about it instead of just coming on here to say my answer was bull***t?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

I know what you meant Dorothy.
We have only just landed on these shores and heard the same. Having said that, we've visited a few other areas which were deemed alright to live in and to be fair, they were "okay", but just one street round the corner, the area was, being diplomatic, not very nice.
I can understand one can just say, "go and have a look and make up your own mind", but you can't tell an area by driving round on its' own.
There doesn't seem to be too many posts from people who have the direct experience we're looking for, so i don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:32 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you meant Dorothy.
We have only just landed on these shores and heard the same. Having said that, we've visited a few other areas which were deemed alright to live in and to be fair, they were "okay", but just one street round the corner, the area was, being diplomatic, not very nice.
I can understand one can just say, "go and have a look and make up your own mind", but you can't tell an area by driving round on its' own.
There doesn't seem to be too many posts from people who have the direct experience we're looking for, so i don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!
Have a look its called domaine.
http://www.domain.com.au/public/subu...lbank&mode=buy
sorry d was not refering to you....mm
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks mr mover.
I was on that website this morning, but couldn't find that info you linked to, so thanks for that.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Well we ended up going to Hillbank to see for ourselves. The part of Hillbank we were interested in is, in first impressions, very nice, being up on the hills and having a view. The street we looked at didn't have any graffitti or the likes of that and all in all, looking at the other properties in that section and looking at whatt type of cars people drive, it looks alright.
We decided to drive around the immediate area and they were all pretty similar.
We passed one house where a couple were having a drink and their tea, so, stopped, reversed and brazenly asked them about the area. They were a lovely couple, about our age and gave us the lowdown of the good and bad. Yes, Elizabeth has its problems, but they were saying that the problems tend to stay there and don't come up into Hillbank. In terms of schooling, their kids went to private school, A, cause it's better and B, it was cheap anyway.
So, all in all, it warrants a second look tomorrow we think. After we left, we did drive down into the Elizabeth area and yes, it probably isn't for us, but we've seen areas worse back in the UK where we came from, so it probably comes down to what you're used to, i think.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:20 am
Banned

Well we ended up going to Hillbank to see for ourselves. The part of Hillbank we were interested in is, in first impressions, very nice, being up on the hills and having a view. The street we looked at didn't have any graffitti or the likes of that and all in all, looking at the other properties in that section and looking at whatt type of cars people drive, it looks alright.
We decided to drive around the immediate area and they were all pretty similar.
We passed one house where a couple were having a drink and their tea, so, stopped, reversed and brazenly asked them about the area. They were a lovely couple, about our age and gave us the lowdown of the good and bad. Yes, Elizabeth has its problems, but they were saying that the problems tend to stay there and don't come up into Hillbank. In terms of schooling, their kids went to private school, A, cause it's better and B, it was cheap anyway.
So, all in all, it warrants a second look tomorrow we think. After we left, we did drive down into the Elizabeth area and yes, it probably isn't for us, but we've seen areas worse back in the UK where we came from, so it probably comes down to what you're used to, i think.
I think you have answered your own question...............good luck guys....mm
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

My OH and I stayed in Hillbank, when we first arrived last June, and I have to say it wasnt for me. The house prices were great and close to all the shops, bars etc... But on quite a few occasions I felt unsafe and as my OH works away and I would be on my own for lengths of time, it was something we had to consider. The side of the house kept getting grafftied,the next door neighbor had the car stolen off their driveway, then burnt out a couple of streets away and at the weekends there just seemed to be large numbers of kids hanging around while I sat listening to burnouts
We did look at some fantastic houses and you can get a lot for your money and some streets just look great and looked after,and I am sure its a very small minority who spoil the name of Hillbank (lets face it I guess its the same in most areas :curse
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks linloo for your experience.We have the same concerns about living there as you've outlined in your experience, so had to ask the question.
In terms of "burnouts", we didn't really see much where we drove, but i know what you mean by it.
After our first day being here, you could see the "evidence" of the night before, though i've got to say we haven't really heard much. And funnily enough, when we got "home" after visiting Hillbank, there was a lovely burnout on the road right outside the driveway..... nice...