British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Highway Between Melbourne And Tasmania (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/highway-between-melbourne-tasmania-503891/)

smurtaza Jan 6th 2008 1:59 am

Highway Between Melbourne And Tasmania

Hi,

Why dont they consider building a tunnel inside sea between mainland (Australia) and Tasmania?There is already a similar type of tunnel in English Channel between Europe and UK.Why its not possible in case of Tasmania and mainland (Australia)?

Thanks

busterboy Jan 6th 2008 2:00 am

Re: Highway Between Melbourne And Tasmania

Originally Posted by smurtaza (Post 5745270)
Hi,

Why dont they consider building a tunnel inside sea between mainland (Australia) and Tasmania?There is already a similar type of tunnel in English Channel between Europe and UK.Why its not possible in case of Tasmania and mainland (Australia)?

Thanks

Is this the type of dilemma that fills your day Mr Smurtaza?

ex_exile Jan 6th 2008 3:24 am

Hi,

Thanks

Its 352km for one thing but if you've got time on your hands I can lend you a shovel.

Pollyana Jan 6th 2008 4:01 am

Hi,

Thanks

Maybe because the Tasmanians want to keep the north islanders out?

http://www.nullsternekochen.de/berli...ley/flyele.gif http://doom3.planet-multiplayer.de/f...s/uglygaga.gif
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif

(posted with witchy hat on, mods hat off!!)

Geelong Gent Jan 6th 2008 6:22 am

Hi,

Thanks

To keep the indians out old boy:D

Geelong Gent Jan 6th 2008 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 5745551)
Its 352km for one thing but if you've got time on your hands I can lend you a shovel.

Hes already busy shovelling ''s#fa:rofl:

wanderingwombat Jan 6th 2008 7:56 am

Hi,

Thanks

Having driven one of those 24km Norwegian tunnels, the last thing I would want to do is drive 352km in a tunnel.

Based on Sydney's 2.3km Harbour tunnel @$3 that would make it $460 each way based on Sydney traffic volumes (86,600 vehicles daily - 2005). Well I doubt there will be 86,600 daily so to drive the tunnel you would have to mortgage your house,......

Just imagine stopping at a picnic rest area half way through :rofl::rofl:

How about a tunnel to NZ? Or the UK for those afraid to fly?:rofl::rofl:

WW

moneypenny20 Jan 6th 2008 8:24 am

Hobart boat race takes on whole new meaning :D Why would you. Buggered if I'd spend that length of time under the sea:eek:

Hunsletlad Jan 6th 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat (Post 5746254)
Having driven one of those 24km Norwegian tunnels, the last thing I would want to do is drive 352km in a tunnel.

Based on Sydney's 2.3km Harbour tunnel @$3 that would make it $460 each way based on Sydney traffic volumes (86,600 vehicles daily - 2005). Well I doubt there will be 86,600 daily so to drive the tunnel you would have to mortgage your house,......

WW

If digging a tunnel is too expensive, why not cut the under underlying rock from Tassie, then, using towropes and utilising the wind and currents, just move Tassie closer to the south coast. The only problem I can foresee is that the Sydney to Hobart yacht race would be over in a day, sort of following the lead of 20/20 cricket.

Les

Pomster Jan 6th 2008 9:43 am

but I understand the builders of the Channel Tunnel have a spare tunnel digger at a reasonable price.....

wanderingwombat Jan 6th 2008 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 5746680)
but I understand the builders of the Channel Tunnel have a spare tunnel digger at a reasonable price.....

As it is on the eastern side of the Channel, the freight should be less:D

WW

Geelong Gent Jan 6th 2008 11:10 am

Yes to the lovely sound of the trickly waterfall.......

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:p

How about a tunnel to NZ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pollyana Jan 6th 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hunsletlad (Post 5746374)
If digging a tunnel is too expensive, why not cut the under underlying rock from Tassie, then, using towropes and utilising the wind and currents, just move Tassie closer to the south coast. The only problem I can foresee is that the Sydney to Hobart yacht race would be over in a day, sort of following the lead of 20/20 cricket.

Les

And judging by the conversations I've had with Tasmanians, they have absolutely no desire to be any nearer to the "north island":ohmy:

WW

Or to India, in another thread the OP seems to think that ties between India and Aus are getting stronger by the day......:blink:

Teabag Jan 6th 2008 11:12 pm

I heard they were proposing a pipeline to send water over to the North Island, maybe they could build a vehicle tunnel next to it. But I think we would have to have a Tassie Visa introduced to stem the flow of Northerner's immigrating. :thumbsup:

(tongue firmly in cheek - I am a recent northern immigrant)

Swerv-o Jan 6th 2008 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5747347)
Or to India, in another thread the OP seems to think that ties between India and Aus are getting stronger by the day......:blink:

Evidently not a cricket fan then...

S