Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High School Years 11 and 12

High School Years 11 and 12

Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:56 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of
Question High School Years 11 and 12

Hi

All being well, we are looking to move to Perth in autumn 2006. June next year our eldest daughter will complete her GCSEs, and will turn 17 in November 2005.

We have been in contact with WA Education Dept, who have informed us that our daughter could not complete Years 11 and 12 at a state school as she will have turned 19 in Year 12, and the Education Act doesn't allow that.

Not a problem, as we were told she could take Years 11 and 12 at one of various senior colleges in and around Perth. She needs to get her TEEs so she can enter Uni, as she wants to be a vet.

I have a few queries for anybody out there who is has experience of a similar situation.

1) Fast Track courses seem to be available for students to bridge from Year 10 to Year 11 and 12 TEE Courses. I presume this is advisable, as there must be many differences between UK and Australian syllabuses. Has anyone any experience of these courses at further education colleges, and would it mean gaining Year 11/12 qualifications would take 3 years rather than 2?

2) In looking at the details for various colleges, the course fees seem very reasonable - a maximum of $85 per subject per year. Do the colleges charge any other fees eg student welfare facilities? Also, am I right in thinking textbooks would not be included in the course fees?

3) As new migrants on a PR Visa, are there any other charges we would have to pay for our daughter's pre Uni education? Are any subsidies excluded from Permanent Residents until they become Citizens etc.

I'd be grateful to anybody who's run this particular gauntlet, especially in WA.

Thanks!

Cheers
Karl
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Re: High School Years 11 and 12

Hi Karl

we have experienced the scenario you described, but we are in Adelaide!

I'm not sure whether our experiences would be relevant to WA?

gd
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:32 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Hi gd. Thanks for the reply.

I know the education system varies a bit from state to state, but even so I would be interested in hearing about experiences from other states. I'm trying to think of all the likely pitfalls, annoying bits of bureaucracy, etc etc, some of which will be common in all areas, but I'm sure there's loads I've missed!

So - yes please!

Cheers
Karl
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:58 am
Pasta Fari

Hah! Maybe a bank holiday monday was the wrong time to post this one! If anybody's in a similar position I shall be sending some more emails off to various WA colleges soon.

Cheers
Karl
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:25 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
Hi

All being well, we are looking to move to Perth in autumn 2006. June next year our eldest daughter will complete her GCSEs, and will turn 17 in November 2005.

We have been in contact with WA Education Dept, who have informed us that our daughter could not complete Years 11 and 12 at a state school as she will have turned 19 in Year 12, and the Education Act doesn't allow that.

Not a problem, as we were told she could take Years 11 and 12 at one of various senior colleges in and around Perth. She needs to get her TEEs so she can enter Uni, as she wants to be a vet.

I have a few queries for anybody out there who is has experience of a similar situation.

1) Fast Track courses seem to be available for students to bridge from Year 10 to Year 11 and 12 TEE Courses. I presume this is advisable, as there must be many differences between UK and Australian syllabuses. Has anyone any experience of these courses at further education colleges, and would it mean gaining Year 11/12 qualifications would take 3 years rather than 2?

2) In looking at the details for various colleges, the course fees seem very reasonable - a maximum of $85 per subject per year. Do the colleges charge any other fees eg student welfare facilities? Also, am I right in thinking textbooks would not be included in the course fees?

3) As new migrants on a PR Visa, are there any other charges we would have to pay for our daughter's pre Uni education? Are any subsidies excluded from Permanent Residents until they become Citizens etc.

I'd be grateful to anybody who's run this particular gauntlet, especially in WA.

Thanks!

Cheers
Karl
we were in the same situation but our son had completed his As levels.

which was not enough to get him into Uni, he is currently doing another year 12 over here and the only school (Perth) that would take him was a private catholic education school.

I'm totally against private ed but hey ho, if it needs to be done and all that....

PM me if you want more info.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi again Karl

well here's our experience in Adelaide!

Our son took his GCSEs in the UK last year, we then moved to Adelaide last October.

We arranged a school placement for him whilst still in the UK - it is situated in the CBD and the students also use the uni campus, they only teach years 11 and 12, the students do not wear school uniform and they have lectures and lessons university style.

The UK GCSE results were given 'Block Status', which enabled him to 'skip' year 11 (although we chose to send him for the last term, so that he had friends for the Summer holiday).

He was 17 in April and will be leaving in December with his SACE, he has just applied online to his chosen unis.

There are students at the school of varying ages and a number of them have taken year 12 more than once, I know that there are some older than 19, so I'm not sure where that age ruling stands here.

We have PR Visas and pay the same fees as Australian Citizens, the books are extra and there is a services fee for using the uni campus.

For the SACE (South Australian Certificate of Education) the students need to study six subjects in year 11 and five in year 12.

Hope this helps!

gd
Old Sep 7th 2005, 11:48 am
Pasta Fari

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi again Karl

well here's our experience in Adelaide!
Thanks for that gd, and apologies for the delay in replying. Anyway, it makes me a little more hopeful and I shall ask questions about block status. Thanks!

Cheers
Karl