Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High School recommendations Townsville please

High School recommendations Townsville please

Old Nov 18th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High School recommendations Townsville please

Hi, I think you have to really look at what you want from the schools. Pimlico has a very good reputation, but so does Kirwan high. You will hear that Kirwan is a big school, it does'nt mean its a bad school, I was very impressed by all the achievements they have made when I went to an open night. I also went to Pimlico and my daughter was accepted at both high schools, but we have chosen Kirwan, its a sporty school as is pimlico, but for me it wasn't all talk, I saw how well the students interacted with staff etc and overall it seemed a happier and friendlier place.
That said, ive got friends who have kids at both schools and highly rate them, so as I say, its your choice.
Goodluck!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:58 am
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

I'm interested in this thread, not because I need to send the kids somewhere, but because I'll be looking for work next year...

I teach ICT in the UK.

Last August I spent a day at Townsville State High School, and Kirwan State High School on 'work experience' and really enjoyed my time at both.
TSHS was much smaller, and its intake included kids who got the ferry over from Magnetic Island.
KSHS is a large school, but no bigger than the school I work at here. I spent most of my time in the ICT department which is in a seperate building on the other side of the oval, so didn't see much of the rest of the school - but again, I really liked the general feel for it.
I met the heads at both schools and they were both very welcoming and supportive.

Other schools that I was told were good are Pimlico and Ignatius Park - but for exactly what reasons I do not know yet.

Ultimately though, I believe a good kid will do well in any school.

Originally Posted by sals
He will turn 18 in beginning of January 2008 and with some blackmail lol have convinced him to return to school to undertake Year 12. I believe from other threads this is the best way forward.Sal
Hi Sal,

You do know that Y12 is not the same as Y12 in the UK don't you? Y12 is the last year of Secondary School education before going to University. Students begin their 'senior' years in Y11 in Aus, so if you see retaking Y12 as 'starting again', I think you'll find joining Y12 will be more like starting Y13 in the UK. You may have looked into this and be aware, I just thought I'd check.

Basically, where as in the UK it is:
- Y7, 8 & 9 for KS3
- Y10 & 11 for GCSE
- Y12 & 13 for Sixth Form

In QLD, it is:
- Y8 & 9 Lower school (leaving primary school 1 year later)
- Y10 'Middle Year' (this is the bit I'm not 100% on, but it doesn't seem to have any formal qualifications like GCSE)
- Y11 & 12 Senior Years (Students can begin uni 1 year ealier)
Students can leave during Y11, if they have a job which includes formal training.

Perhaps MikethePom or anyone else can correct me on any of this if I'm wrong.

What has your son been studying in the UK? How far into his studies will he be before you leave?

Originally Posted by MikethePom
I am probably a bit biased as I work at Grammar
Hi Mike,

What do you teach at TGS? I'd be interested to know how you got on finding work as a secondary teacher in Townsville and your experiences so far. Would it be OK to PM you?

Cheers,
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
Other schools that I was told were good are Pimlico and Ignatius Park - but for exactly what reasons I do not know yet.

Hi Sal,

You do know that Y12 is not the same as Y12 in the UK don't you? Y12 is the last year of Secondary School education before going to University. Students begin their 'senior' years in Y11 in Aus, so if you see retaking Y12 as 'starting again', I think you'll find joining Y12 will be more like starting Y13 in the UK. You may have looked into this and be aware, I just thought I'd check.

Basically, where as in the UK it is:
- Y7, 8 & 9 for KS3
- Y10 & 11 for GCSE
- Y12 & 13 for Sixth Form

In QLD, it is:
- Y8 & 9 Lower school (leaving primary school 1 year later)
- Y10 'Middle Year' (this is the bit I'm not 100% on, but it doesn't seem to have any formal qualifications like GCSE)
- Y11 & 12 Senior Years (Students can begin uni 1 year ealier)
Students can leave during Y11, if they have a job which includes formal training.

Perhaps MikethePom or anyone else can correct me on any of this if I'm wrong.

What has your son been studying in the UK? How far into his studies will he be before you leave?

Cheers,
Hi
Thanks for the reply and thought. All input is most welcome. He's been doing a BTech Nat Diploma (public services) in the UK. Not completed his second year as we are leaving in Jan. He is currently working in Curry's. It was his part time job but they have been kind enough to give him more hours til we leave, but he doesn't see himslef in retail in the long term. Having looked into this and following email discussions with a few people, we have decided it probably wouldn't benefit him doing Year 12. He has good GCSE results (9 A-C) and is absolutely adamant he doesn't want to go to Uni so feel TAFE is probably a better option. He is looking at different diplomas or an apprenticeship. Unfortunately he still doesn't really know what he wants to do career wise! but we have been looking at the future education website and I'm currently trying to get him to focus and a general direction. He is currently comtemplating the construction industry in some form. He is quite interested in the armed forces but doesn't want to join up initially as we will have just moved continents and feels he doesn't want to then have to leave his new home immediately, which I think is quite sensible, as he's bound to be posted away.
Hoping if I can narrow him down to at least a career field, we may be able to identify a diploma or apprenticeship but as with alot of people, who knows what they want to do for the rest of their lives at 17!

Kind regards

Sally