British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   High School recommendations Townsville please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/high-school-recommendations-townsville-please-483405/)

sals Sep 25th 2007 12:35 pm

High School recommendations Townsville please

Hi to all the Townies
Can anyone help?
I am looking for recommendation for any high schools in Townsville. We arrive in January 08, myself and 18 year old son.
He will turn 18 in beginning of January 2008 and with some blackmail lol ;)have convinced him to return to school to undertake Year 12. I believe from other threads this is the best way forward.
I'm looking for which is the best school to send him too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have contacted a number with regards to enrolment but it feels like a massive responsibility to choose the best one with no inside information.:confused:
Any info or opinions greatly appreciated
Sal

wayne/kerrie Sep 25th 2007 3:26 pm

Re: High School recommendations Townsville please

Hi Sal , ive pm-ed you ,

kez :thumbsup:

joe_p Oct 3rd 2007 2:02 pm

TGS best all-round, I've heard, though there are the fees to consider.

drdan Oct 4th 2007 8:45 am

We've registered our 2 at TGS after much investigation.

sals Oct 4th 2007 9:10 am

Thanks for all the advice really appreciate the help.
We are still unsure what to do but have a couple of schools in mind. I'm just waiting for hols to be over in Townsville then we should get some careers advice from people in the know.
Cheers
sals

MikethePom Oct 26th 2007 6:39 am

Originally Posted by sals (Post 5385284)
Thanks for all the advice really appreciate the help.
We are still unsure what to do but have a couple of schools in mind. I'm just waiting for hols to be over in Townsville then we should get some careers advice from people in the know.
Cheers
sals

Sals,
I am probably a bit biased as I work at Grammar but it is a heck of a good school. There is a positive work ethic that encourages the students to be all they can in all aspects of school life whether that is academic, sporting or cultural. The school breaks up for the summer hols in the 2nd week of Dec. get in touch with the registrar Kristell Scott ([email protected]) I am sure that she can organise a tour info etc.

Regards

Mike

No Idea Oct 26th 2007 7:15 am

I've enrolled mine at Cathedral. Hopefully it is a good school..........must admit the main reason why I choose Cathedral over TGS is that they teach French (which my children speak, so at least they can speak to one teacher when we arrive!!!).
Good luck - school shopping is awful.

sals Oct 26th 2007 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by No Idea (Post 5470046)
I've enrolled mine at Cathedral. Hopefully it is a good school..........must admit the main reason why I choose Cathedral over TGS is that they teach French (which my children speak, so at least they can speak to one teacher when we arrive!!!).
Good luck - school shopping is awful.

Hi thanks for the replies will look at both of those schools, although I'm still unsure if school is the best place for him!
Mike hope you don't mind but I've pm'd you.
sals

fa kin su pa Nov 15th 2007 6:56 pm

Hi all we are looking at Townsville or Mackay as area's we would like to move our family to, however, we need schools. I have two sons 16, 8 and a daughter 18 months. My older son is very very sporty and play's a high standard of water polo and football. This is were we need help. I do not think we can afford private school so state school it would have to be. But do any of them specialize in these sports or even play these sports?:)

The A Team Nov 15th 2007 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa (Post 5559095)
Hi all we are looking at Townsville or Mackay as area's we would like to move our family to, however, we need schools. I have two sons 16, 8 and a daughter 18 months. My older son is very very sporty and play's a high standard of water polo and football. This is were we need help. I do not think we can afford private school so state school it would have to be. But do any of them specialize in these sports or even play these sports?:)

Kirwan State High is highly regarded for its sports curriculum and they have an Excellence in Soccer program.

http://www.kirwanshs.qld.edu.au/

For Water Polo try here and they should hopefully be able to advise you more

http://www.townsvillewaterpolo.com/

fa kin su pa Nov 15th 2007 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by The A Team (Post 5559316)
Kirwan State High is highly regarded for its sports curriculum and they have an Excellence in Soccer program.

http://www.kirwanshs.qld.edu.au/

For Water Polo try here and they should hopefully be able to advise you more

http://www.townsvillewaterpolo.com/

That great thanks:thumbsup:

sals Nov 16th 2007 11:11 am

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa (Post 5559843)
That great thanks:thumbsup:

Hey you, didn't realise you where thinking of joining us in Townsville. That would be great to have another expat to work with :D
Kirwan, outstanding for sport, got a good rugby league team too.

fa kin su pa Nov 16th 2007 11:37 am

Originally Posted by sals (Post 5562098)
Hey you, didn't realise you where thinking of joining us in Townsville. That would be great to have another expat to work with :D
Kirwan, outstanding for sport, got a good rugby league team too.

Hi sals, it's a night mere. At first we were thinking of Brisbane but you don't appear to get much for your money. The problem is my son and I play a lot of water polo and this also play's a part. I have been told about Kirwan school and it does look very good, but not sure if they play Water Polo. I have emailed them so I will see. This is all subject to me getting a job of cause. If I don't the family will be really gutted.

Is there any other expat's there do you know and is that an area that is looking to recruit? and finally and most , how busy are the ambulances there?:thumbsup:

sals Nov 16th 2007 11:47 am

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa (Post 5562170)
Hi sals, it's a night mere. At first we were thinking of Brisbane but you don't appear to get much for your money. The problem is my son and I play a lot of water polo and this also play's a part. I have been told about Kirwan school and it does look very good, but not sure if they play Water Polo. I have emailed them so I will see. This is all subject to me getting a job of cause. If I don't the family will be really gutted.

Is there any other expat's there do you know and is that an area that is looking to recruit? and finally and most , how busy are the ambulances there?:thumbsup:

They are definitlely recruiting :D they sent me a poster of their internal recruitment drive, I'll forward it to you by email.
Don't know about other expats but the "buddy" they have given me to help my relocation is a Kiwi who moved from NZ to Townsville 7 years ago. She's very helpful.
I'll email you what I know about the area

fa kin su pa Nov 16th 2007 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by sals (Post 5562215)
They are definitlely recruiting :D they sent me a poster of their internal recruitment drive, I'll forward it to you by email.
Don't know about other expats but the "buddy" they have given me to help my relocation is a Kiwi who moved from NZ to Townsville 7 years ago. She's very helpful.
I'll email you what I know about the area

You are such a star:o It does sound very nice there. Have you heard of any one who has been interview yet?