British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   High School Interview (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/high-school-interview-261152/)

scitta Oct 20th 2004 6:07 am

High School Interview

My son will be starting year 8 in Melbourne, and the school has sent us a letter stating that there will be an Interview conducted upon our arrival in Australia.

Well so far he has been to just 1 school since Grade I and has no experience whatsoever about the interview bit, hence is slightly worried about what will it be all about. (And unfortunately we did not have any interviews etc. during our school days :) hence unable to offer him any ideas).

Any experienced parents and students out there who could give me a rough idea about this whole interview thingy? Your replies would definitely pacify him.

Thanks, Sarah

clevs Oct 20th 2004 6:10 am

Re: High School Interview

Hi

My daughter has started primary school here in SA, not quite the same but she didn't have to go through a interview just a general meet and greet. I had a interview with the principal though. Just asking general questions about her and her old school activites and curriculum.

Good Luck

jad n rich Oct 20th 2004 6:14 am

Originally Posted by scitta
My son will be starting year 8 in Melbourne, and the school has sent us a letter stating that there will be an Interview conducted upon our arrival in Australia.

Well so far he has been to just 1 school since Grade I and has no experience whatsoever about the interview bit, hence is slightly worried about what will it be all about. (And unfortunately we did not have any interviews etc. during our school days :) hence unable to offer him any ideas).

Any experienced parents and students out there who could give me a rough idea about this whole interview thingy? Your replies would definitely pacify him.

Thanks, Sarah

Have you signed him up for some posh private school :D never heard of the state ones doing interviews you just enrol them name address vaccinations buy the uniform and bingo.

When we went private tho they did interview the then 6 year old :rolleyes:
dont know if he passed but the backhander $ ;) to the school building fund did.

Dont worry, take reports etc, privacy laws prevent them getting too in depth and personal.

NickyC Oct 20th 2004 6:23 am

Originally Posted by scitta

Thanks, Sarah

Yup, private schools often 'interview' the kids. Not alone though - parents are in with them.

It's really just to check they they don't have any obvious problems that would stop them fitting in - as private schools mostly don't take kids with severe special needs. They will chat to them about what they like doing, are interested in etc, etc. It's nothing heavy and as long as your child can shake hands, look them in the eye and string a sentence together they will be fine.

Oh and take along school reports, sport certificates etc. Anything you have to make them look like a keen and interested student.

scitta Oct 20th 2004 6:23 am

Thanks Clevs and Jad n Rich for your replies.

Not a posh private school but a semi private Catholic school.

Cheers, Sarah

scitta Oct 20th 2004 6:27 am

Originally Posted by nickyc
Yup, private schools often 'interview' the kids. Not alone though - parents are in with them.

It's really just to check they they don't have any obvious problems that would stop them fitting in as private schools mostly don't take kids with severe special needs. They will chat to them about what they like doing, are interested in etc, etc. It's nothing heavy and as long as your child can string a sentence together they will be fine.

Thanks Nickyc... yes they did mention that the interview will be conducted with both the student and parents.

Any more elaborate replies are welcome.
Sarah

Gary / Terri Oct 20th 2004 6:33 am

Sarah
don't worry both our kids had an interview and by the way you will be there with them. The briefing to help them, make sure they know what subjects they like and why and if they have an idea of what they want to do inth future,maybe go on to furter educaton, make sure they know what outside activities they like and what sports they want to do or are participating in, finally if it is a religious based school then make sure they have the right answers of the balance of live skills and academia.
Hope this helps

Gary and Terri

ABCDiamond Oct 20th 2004 6:38 am

Scitta

As nicky said, this is what the average interview consists of:

Originally Posted by nickyc
They will chat to them about what they like doing, are interested in etc, etc. It's nothing heavy and as long as your child can shake hands, look them in the eye and string a sentence together they will be fine.

Obviously if your child gives the impression, in the interview, that they do NOT want to be there, then you can guess what will happen :)

jad n rich Oct 20th 2004 6:54 am

Dont forget if its a catholic or church school to be ready for questions on your church going regularity and the kids baptism/communion ceromonies all being up to date. Some of the top ones expect a little visit each sunday, which I guess is fair enough if you want a catholic education.

Also be aware daily church services etc are part of the school cirruculum, we got the distinct impression people who just wanted a nice school but were not really religious were not top priority for getting the places in the hard to get in schools, as I said fair enough really.

scitta Oct 20th 2004 8:09 am

Thanks to each and everyone for your valuable input.

My son is keen and looking forward to join the college, and guess all your replies will help him a great deal.

Hi Gari & Terri, can u please elaborate on the below:
finally if it is a religious based school then make sure they have the right answers of the balance of live skills and academia....

Regards,Sarah

Gary / Terri Oct 20th 2004 11:19 pm

finally if it is a religious based school then make sure they have the right answers of the balance of live skills and academia
Regards,Sarah[/QUOTE]

Sarah what I meant by this is if you are not particulary religious and don't want to attend church every Sunday then it is worth having some apt quotes ready, both you and your kids, things like I feel it is important to have a spiritual outlook on live as well as being a realist, I want my kids to be able to balance life skills with those of academia, you prefer as a family to have tight family bonds and you to date have not thought it necessary to attend church on a regular basis seeking only guidence on certain occasions..I hope this helps I am not sure of your religious standings and I would in no way wish to pry but if the above helps then great....if not read between the lines as it may help to form your own stand for the interview

Gary and Terri

scitta Oct 21st 2004 5:22 am

Hi Gary/Terri,

Thanks for the explanation.

All the best,
Regards,
Sarah