Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

It took me and I am sure a lot of other people on this board a lot of time, money, sweat, worry and stress to get to this country. Perhaps I should have taken the easy route and come here as a tourist and then claimed asylum.

http://www.optusnet.com.au/news/stor...ic/1314151.inp
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Originally Posted by NedKelly
It took me and I am sure a lot of other people on this board a lot of time, money, sweat, worry and stress to get to this country. Perhaps I should have taken the easy route and come here as a tourist and then claimed asylum.

As per an Australian trying to claim assylum in the UK you would be laughed out of immigration and back onto the plane.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
As per an Australian trying to claim assylum in the UK you would be laughed out of immigration and back onto the plane.
I can't imagine why any Australian would want to claim asylum in the UK. The state benefits are just as good in Australia and you don't have to put up with the bloody weather.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly

In which country are you facing persecution for your religious or political beliefs? I doubt you know the meanings of the word worry and stress
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 6:52 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Seems strange. He must have alot of money to be able to get to Aus from Russia. Makes me very suspicious. Like alot of `asylum` seekers in the UK, they come from half-way around the world and through Italy/France/Holland/Germany/Spain/Portugal/Timbuktu etc to get here.... kinda takes the piss really. If I was a genuine refugee or asylum seeker I`d be bloody happy to have made it across the border into ANY country that meant me and my family were safe... wouldn`t care what country that was.

But no, they look at their benefit/lifestyle asylum travel brochures and head for the one they can get the most out of.

I`m all for genuine asylum seekers btw, but not financial asylum seekers.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a great ruling and a victory for human rights. What we go through for visa applications is *nothing* in comparison to what some of these poor guys go through. Last week I met some lovely Sudanese guys and I found their stories heartbreaking. I'd much rather share a drink and some tucker with some those guys than someone who thinks he's better than someone else purely because he's been able to buy his way into the country.
Maybe some of you should go live with Sharia law.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Stormz
Seems strange. He must have alot of money to be able to get to Aus from Russia. Makes me very suspicious. Like alot of `asylum` seekers in the UK, they come from half-way around the world and through Italy/France/Holland/Germany/Spain/Portugal/Timbuktu etc to get here.... kinda takes the piss really. If I was a genuine refugee or asylum seeker I`d be bloody happy to have made it across the border into ANY country that meant me and my family were safe... wouldn`t care what country that was.

But no, they look at their benefit/lifestyle asylum travel brochures and head for the one they can get the most out of.

I`m all for genuine asylum seekers btw, but not financial asylum seekers.
Per head of population the UK accepts far less than some of the nations you list. You sound like a Daily Mail reader or is it the Express.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:01 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
I think it's a great ruling and a victory for human rights. What we go through for visa applications is *nothing* in comparison to what some of these poor guys go through. Last week I met some lovely Sudanese guys and I found their stories heartbreaking. I'd much rather share a drink and some tucker with some those guys than someone who thinks he's better than someone else purely because he's been able to buy his way into the country.
Really depends . If Australia has a quota for the number of Asylum seekers it takes in then it is awhole different ball game.
Consider - in this case the applicant had an alternative country to go to. What if there is a quota and someone comes along that has no other country willing to take them in- then perhaps it may be a better situation to send the person to the alternative country and take in the person with no other alternative.

Just a senario to consider
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:15 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Per head of population the UK accepts far less than some of the nations you list. You sound like a Daily Mail reader or is it the Express.
The UK is also a far smaller country, with generally a larger population, which means far less housing.

All the newspapers are crap really, but yeah I read the express every month or so. I know what you mean though.... pinch of salt and all that.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by seang
Really depends . If Australia has a quota for the number of Asylum seekers it takes in then it is awhole different ball game.
Consider - in this case the applicant had an alternative country to go to. What if there is a quota and someone comes along that has no other country willing to take them in- then perhaps it may be a better situation to send the person to the alternative country and take in the person with no other alternative.

Just a senario to consider
Not sure how you can set quotas for assylum seekers when there is a legal obligation to consider the cases. Refugees are another matter. Australia can decide the numbers it will accept.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:23 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how you can set quotas for assylum seekers when there is a legal obligation to consider the cases. Refugees are another matter. Australia can decide the numbers it will accept.
True (I presume)
However it does strike me as alittle strange that this case had an alternative but seemed to really want to pick the most ideal of options. Doubt many would be in that situation.

The article in the SMH seems to have more context than the original article.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by seang
True (I presume)
However it does strike me as alittle strange that this case had an alternative but seemed to really want to pick the most ideal of options. Doubt many would be in that situation.

The article in the SMH seems to have more context than the original article.
An awkward situation. Israel was willing to accept them because they were Jewish, not because they were Israeli. Quite a unusual situation. If they had Israeli citizenship I think the outcome would be different. Would you want to live in Israel to have you children conscripted into a bloody conflict?
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:58 am
small steps long journey

An awkward situation. Israel was willing to accept them because they were Jewish, not because they were Israeli. Quite a unusual situation. If they had Israeli citizenship I think the outcome would be different. Would you want to live in Israel to have you children conscripted into a bloody conflict?
No I wouldnt and hopefully never have such a choice to make.
You have raised an interesting point. Even if a precident is not set it could have ramifications - many could now apply (and possibly do) claiming pacifist beliefs and not wishing to undertake compulsary military service.

Maybe interesting as well that :

"But the RRT affirmed the Immigration Department's decision to refuse to grant them protection visas in Australia as Israel was a country in which they would have effective protection under Israel's Law of Return."

Wonder if the minister will get involved when she returns?

Last edited by seang; Mar 2nd 2005 at 9:01 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:49 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Larissa
Get real, bet you live in a nice multi culture area......NOT

I have seen West London become a @&*" hole, every man and his dog are coming here. Our schools are over run with non-speaking English and crime out of control, all because we have had a population increase that the local community cannot sustain and integrate with in so short a time.

It is creating major barriers, problems, that will get worst, not better.

All thanks to that scum bag Blair......
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jayr
In which country are you facing persecution for your religious or political beliefs? I doubt you know the meanings of the word worry and stress
I was facing persecution in the UK because I am white and therefore a second class citizen in my own country. Many UK laws now give preferential treatment to ethnic minorities. I was facing persecution because I am a Christian. As an example, my son's school cancelled the nativity play because it might offend Muslims and it now no longer has a morning assembly where hymns were sung. As far as politics is concerned I was persecuted by the Government because I owned my own house, a few shares and some investment property, so I am considered to be a filthy rich property owning enemy of the people who should rightly be targeted by Gordon Browns 60 stealth taxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.