Reload this Page >

High blood pressure ???

High blood pressure ???

Old Nov 25th 2004, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

nibblo will become famous soon enoughnibblo will become famous soon enough
Default High blood pressure ???

Hi guys
Just wondered if anyone-else has been in the same situation as us and can reasure us that will will still be getting that magic 'yellow envelope' !!
Me and hubby went for our medicals today - everything ok apart from one thing - hubby has high blood pressure. Doctor recommended that he should go on medication immediately, then contact him in a week with a letter from our own G.P saying what he is taking & recent blood pressure readings. The doctor is holding onto our forms/xrays etc and will post them off once he has got the letter from our G.P.
My Big worry is whether Aus will refuse the visa because of this - or am I just worrying over nothing ???
Please - has this happened to anyone-else?
A very worried
Nibblo
Old Nov 25th 2004, 5:22 pm
ad4ozz

Default Re: High blood pressure ???

Sorry can't help you yet as we are awaiting our medicals but would also be interested in any replies as my husbands BP normal unless you put him in front of a Doctor when he gets white coat syndrome and BP shoots up due to nerves. Sounds good that he said get medication and come back as if he thinks that is enough to sort it.

Old Nov 25th 2004, 6:10 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

There have been a couple of threads in this area recently so run a search. Mine is a bit high too. What was hubby's reading? I think someone said above 140 over 90 will start to raise questions and lead to further tests.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

coventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud of

Don't worry about it, .
I take medication but it was still high on the day of my medical, apparantly it happens to everyone with hbp due to nerves, the doctor said no problems as he expected it to rise due to the importance of the occasion.
The dimia doc's are not concerned about it as long as it is controlled, ie it has been identified and medication prescribed to reduce it. As soon as he starts taking them it will go down to an acceptable level .
Its definately worth investing in a monitor from boots so that he can check it himself. You soon find out the things that make it rise, stress, booze and salty food.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

nibblo will become famous soon enoughnibblo will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reasuring answers guys - Just keep everything crossed now and hope for the best.
Nibblo
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nibblo
Thanks for the reasuring answers guys - Just keep everything crossed now and hope for the best.
Nibblo

Don't worry about it, I have high blood pressure and did when we had our medicals, as long as you doctor does that letter it shouldnt be a problem. As they said before as long as it's controlled then fine. To be honest if you were like me, lived, breathed Australia 24/7 then no wonder BP rises.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 11:45 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abergas
Don't worry about it, I have high blood pressure and did when we had our medicals, as long as you doctor does that letter it shouldnt be a problem. As they said before as long as it's controlled then fine. To be honest if you were like me, lived, breathed Australia 24/7 then no wonder BP rises.
I got my wife to get me a blood pressure meter from Boots the other day (£90!), well, I didn't want anything for Xmas. It has been interesting to see how BP changes depending on the time of the day, before / after exercise, when drinking and the morning after etc. It also comes down between the first and second test it seems too.(stress probably) Reassuringly I am only just outside the 140/100 red-line.

But most relevant to this thread, now I am are aware what these factors do to your BP in just an hour or so it will influence the time of day I book the meds for, what I will do before (a brisk walk) and what I do for a few weeks before hand (no booze, no salt...).

Just to make sure, I am going to try some experiments with clenching my arm etc to see if I can just make sure I get the reading I want. I am not being naive here and I will work harder for my long-term health but this just might be enough to fly through the medicals.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

coventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
I got my wife to get me a blood pressure meter from Boots the other day (£90!), well, I didn't want anything for Xmas. It has been interesting to see how BP changes depending on the time of the day, before / after exercise, when drinking and the morning after etc. It also comes down between the first and second test it seems too.(stress probably) Reassuringly I am only just outside the 140/100 red-line.

But most relevant to this thread, now I am are aware what these factors do to your BP in just an hour or so it will influence the time of day I book the meds for, what I will do before (a brisk walk) and what I do for a few weeks before hand (no booze, no salt...).

Just to make sure, I am going to try some experiments with clenching my arm etc to see if I can just make sure I get the reading I want. I am not being naive here and I will work harder for my long-term health but this just might be enough to fly through the medicals.

Nice one ! Worzel, best of luck with your meds, I sure it will be fine though!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys, just thought id let you know that ive suffered from high blood pressure on and off for years know,and it was very high when i went for my meds but the doctor put it down to stress and ive passed my meds,so i wouldnt worry to much.
As for changing your lifestyle, well i eat healthily 90% of the time take regular exersize never eat salt rarely eat processed foods,and its still high, ive been for ecgs and theyre ok and my colesterol is fine, ive even been to a dietician who congratulated me on my diet
Quess im just one of those people, ive got a machine that reads yours blood pressure and your right worsel, it varies immensely throughout tha day and depending on what youve been doing, but exersize does definately bring it down,by the way for us women the time of the month changes your blood pressure to.
Since having my meds i have been back to my doctor who gave me even more tests,but these werent requested by dimia i thought i would go off my own back,just in case they did request them,and ive been put on tablet to try to bring it down,my test results have still come back fine.

not sure if this helps at all but wanted to reasure you not to worry to much as worrying will put your pressure up as it did mine

tracey.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

And ..... whether the cuff is put on your right or left arm, whether you have jogged to catch your appointment, what your diet is like, whether the pretty nurse has a low cut uniform (or doctor if you are that way inclined or female), etc, etc. There are so many variables affecting the BP which is why a doctor will take a number of readings, preferably with a BP monitor outside the surgery in the comfort of your own home at different times of the day over a number of days. Then if necessary they will prescribe medication and it will not make emigration to Australia impossible.

British Hypertension Society:

http://www.bhsoc.org/

OzTennis
Old Dec 6th 2004, 2:55 pm
A former regular of BE

Tracey - you are so right about the 90%. I eat bran flakes, granary bread, fruit and veg, play badminton, swim and go to the gym all week. Trouble is the weekend where the wine flows, the takeaways get delivered...

OzTennis - left or right arm, you say. I will have to try that one tonight
Old Dec 6th 2004, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

EAch arm does read differently,very differently i find, but the doctor always takes it from my right arm so thats what i tend to do,but i find every day is completely different anyway,they say its best to take 3 readings one after the other and take an average from these, thats what the doctor has told me anyway.
But i do eat healthily most of the time i actually like salad friut and vegetables and i feel horrible after ive had a take away,that not saying i dont have them sometimes,if im out i ll have what everyone else has but at home i eat very differently to gary and kerry,i dont know where they put it all, and there as skinny as any thing,i do lots of pilates and run on the tread mill most days,i should be a size 10 really oh well as my doctor has said just think what size you would be if you didnt do all those things not much help really.I do like a drink but i dont drink that often really

tracey.

tracey.
Tracey - you are so right about the 90%. I eat bran flakes, granary bread, fruit and veg, play badminton, swim and go to the gym all week. Trouble is the weekend where the wine flows, the takeaways get delivered..

OzTennis - left or right arm, you say. I will have to try that one tonight