Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HIFX,how do they make money?

Wikiposts

HIFX,how do they make money?

Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HIFX,how do they make money?

Originally Posted by arkon
Got six legs I think.
I knew it was something like that, just tes ting,
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:19 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

I generally found that our high street banks (natwest etc) offered 2c less there or there abouts than the price you see on the exchange rate online...and HIFX offered us 1c there or there abouts than the online exchange...It seemed to me they were making slightly less than the banks but still a fair wack. Im sure they stipulated exchanges of $20,000 or more. Any less than that and they werent making much really...For every pound of ya dosh they make 1c and the banks are making 2c and charging a transfere fee...I went with HIFX had no probs at all
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
We used HIFX and had no problems at all
Me too

SS

But I am now going to use Tranzfers to move £ to $ and vice-versa as it is easily done online.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:24 am
Melbourne bound

paul_d will become famous soon enoughpaul_d will become famous soon enough

For forward trades, they don't just earn interest on the 10% deposit.
They also earn from the interest differential between the UK and OZ.

They buy your currency on the day you transact the forward trade. They pay UK interest rates on the amount "borrowed", and they gain OZ interest rates on the amount "deposited". Since OZ interest rates are higher than the UK, they earn the difference.

Hence the reason why they recommend that you forward trade to "reduce your exposure". I have had a look on OZFOREX, and I think they might pass back some of this benefit. According to their website, they actually offer more than the interbank rate for a 6-month forward contract. Looking into it at the moment...

Paul.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_d
For forward trades, they don't just earn interest on the 10% deposit.
They also earn from the interest differential between the UK and OZ.

They buy your currency on the day you transact the forward trade. They pay UK interest rates on the amount "borrowed", and they gain OZ interest rates on the amount "deposited". Since OZ interest rates are higher than the UK, they earn the difference.

Hence the reason why they recommend that you forward trade to "reduce your exposure". I have had a look on OZFOREX, and I think they might pass back some of this benefit. According to their website, they actually offer more than the interbank rate for a 6-month forward contract. Looking into it at the moment...

Paul.

I arranged a 6 month forward contract for about a third of our money with OzForex yesterday at 2.3942 which I'm happy with. Obviously still hoping for more upside for the remaining 2/3 rds.