Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HiFX - has anybody used them?

HiFX - has anybody used them?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Bilby is on a distinguished road
Default HiFX - has anybody used them?

What did you think of the service? We have just registered with them are they reliable and safe to us? Has anyone used them on a regular basis.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:30 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HiFX - has anybody used them?

Originally Posted by Bilby
What did you think of the service? We have just registered with them are they reliable and safe to us? Has anyone used them on a regular basis.
i used them to pay visa application..........they have their own couriers also
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I used them several times for both lump sum transfers and for regular payments, but I stopped when I found them so "pushy" - always phoning up to tell me that there was a good rate and could they send some more money across!

Now use Tranzfers/OzForex, who I find very reliable and friendly.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:34 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Transferred our whole life savings two weeks ago, no fuss, no problem.

Everybody's experiences are different but no complaints from us.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:23 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

used them in the past .....no prob's at all......
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

I'm gonna sound really thick now - and i'm not, honest

But how does it actually work I've heard of people having a 'holding account' in london and then when the rate reaches a certain point they'll transfer the money - has anyone done this?? Whats a holding account (apart from holding your money!!!) and who do you get this with? Hifx or ozforex or with your aussie bank??

Do you have to have money in the ozforex or hifx account all the time, like a bank or do you just put in what you want to send over

Sorry for the stupid questions
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:24 am
Sooooo chilled out now...

kpeters84 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have used them for several transfers - pending a better rate for a lump sum transfer! - and have found them to be relatively easy... once you understand the transfer process!

You may find you will need access to the internet (problematic once my PC had been shipped!) or access to a fax machine to confirm your order. You will also need a bank account in Australia in which to transfer the funds....... good luck with that one! Ha! Ha!

As I registered with HiFx in UK I also had to re-register once I arrived in Australia.

I dont have experience with others detailed here so can't compare.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

We used them to transfer all our money to US and they handled it fine. We fixed a figure at which to transfer as the pound was at that point dropping against the US$. You get a slightly worse rate but you know exactly how much you have.

They have not pestered us.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:14 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
We used them to transfer all our money to US and they handled it fine. We fixed a figure at which to transfer as the pound was at that point dropping against the US$. You get a slightly worse rate but you know exactly how much you have.

They have not pestered us.
When I had a standing monthly transfer they were always on the phone trying to get me to sign up for another twelve months: once, against my better judgement, I signed for a six month deal at 2.22 IIRC and the average during that time was over 2.30. My mistake and it could have gone the other way, but I felt pushed into it.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:16 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
When I had a standing monthly transfer they were always on the phone trying to get me to sign up for another twelve months: once, against my better judgement, I signed for a six month deal at 2.22 IIRC and the average during that time was over 2.30. My mistake and it could have gone the other way, but I felt pushed into it.
Oh I see, yes not good.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by midwife2be

But how does it actually work I've heard of people having a 'holding account' in london and then when the rate reaches a certain point they'll transfer the money - has anyone done this?? Whats a holding account (apart from holding your money!!!) and who do you get this with? Hifx or ozforex or with your aussie bank??

Do you have to have money in the ozforex or hifx account all the time, like a bank or do you just put in what you want to send over

Guess I must be thick after all or is it that nobody else understands it either
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

DARREN1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have used them three times upto now and they have been great
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: HiFX - has anybody used them?

Originally Posted by midwife2be

Hi - it's not a stupid question - I only found out the answer by calling HiFx and having them explain it to me ( and then I called OzForex to see if they explained it the same way and to make sure I had understood it correctly )

We did a forward booking ( ? ) with HiFx when the exchange rate briefly hit 2.5 earlier this summer. I didn't want to exchange my money then, just wanted to cash in on the exchange rate !

Registered online with them, opened an account ( a trading account not a bank account ) told them how much I wanted to exchange and when and set the exchange rate at 2.43 ( it had already begun to drop by the time I had registered etc ).

I then had to make a deposit payment of 10% which HiFx hold until the date we set for the final payment. Personal circumstances being what they are ( delays at LCU and no Oz bank account !!!! ) meant that we had to defer our payment for a month, but a simple phone call to HiFx and it was done.

Now we wait for the date I set and make the final payment a couple of days before. The £ leaves my UK account and the $ hit my Oz account.

HiFx also told me that if my bank makes any charges to receive my $ ( which some banks do apparently ! :curse: ) then HiFx will refund the charge to me !!

Of course, at the moment this is all hypothetical as they have my deposit and I am assuming that they will deliver as contracted ... I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that explanation SunnyMD thats great

I'll copy and save it and read it repeatedly so hopefully it'll begin to make sense

Let me know how it goes when you do transfer/exchange or whatever they call it!!!

xx
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa_Mick is on a distinguished road

We used HiFX to make the payments necessary for our visa application. I also entered into a forward contract with them fixing the AU$ rate and paid the 10% deposit. I had to call them today to move the contract date forward to early next year without any problem - one quick phone call and it was done - simple. Hopefully when we are ready to exchange our finances it will again be straight forward. Will post on BE if its not!!! I have not found them pushy at all. Hope this helps, Lisa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.