Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hicks: British Citizenship has more clout?

Hicks: British Citizenship has more clout?

Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default Hicks: British Citizenship has more clout?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/050925/2/w39i.html

Poor thing this. Why can't Australia get their bloody thumb out and do something. Perhaps people with duel oz/uk citizenship should travel with their UK passport outside of Australia (most coutries consider you a citizen of the passport you use to enter). Shame on you Australian governement!

Beautiful place Australia, but the government stink. They are reactionary, inefficent and gutless. Hardly predictive, assertive, inspirational leadership. I'm not looking forward to voting, choosing between poor and poor. Australia needs to grow up, bin the queen as HOS, and stop jumping up at the peticoats of UK/America and sort the tax system.

Since I have become a citizen (all of 10 micro seconds ago!) I have become much more concerned about our government. Can't wait to sack them and watch the next set of gutless plonkers take over. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr its monday
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hicks: British Citizenship has more clout?

Shame on the British Government if they allow him British Citizenship!!!
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:09 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

legally, i don't think they can do anything other than allow it.

Originally Posted by Steve G
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

My post is not concerned with wether he is guilty or not but rather the support that citizens get when overseas. British Citizens are, apparently, more important than Australian Citizens.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz

Poor thing this. Why can't Australia get their bloody thumb out and do something. Perhaps people with duel oz/uk citizenship should travel with their UK passport outside of Australia (most coutries consider you a citizen of the passport you use to enter). Shame on you Australian governement!

Beautiful place Australia, but the government stink. They are reactionary, inefficent and gutless. Hardly predictive, assertive, inspirational leadership. I'm not looking forward to voting, choosing between poor and poor. Australia needs to grow up, bin the queen as HOS, and stop jumping up at the peticoats of UK/America and sort the tax system.

Since I have become a citizen (all of 10 micro seconds ago!) I have become much more concerned about our government. Can't wait to sack them and watch the next set of gutless plonkers take over. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr its monday

Hmmmmm - because we all know that the British Government is wonderful and NEVER does anything wrong don't we
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hmmmmm - because we all know that the British Government is wonderful and NEVER does anything wrong don't we
Quantative evidence showsthat they have dealt with this situation much more effectively than Australia:

9/9 returned Vs 0/1 returned
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Entitlement to British citizenship by registration under section 4C of the British Nationality Act 1981 (birth between 1961 and 1982 to a UK born or naturalised mother) is not good character dependent. Hence there is no legal bar to Mr Hicks being granted British citizenship, unless the law were to change very quickly to impose a character requirement.

However after Mr Hicks has acquired British citizenship, he could be deprived of it for doing acts that are 'seriously prejudicial' to the interests of the United Kingdom or a British Overseas Territory.

Incidentally the fact that his mother never took Australian citizenship is irrelevant, as becoming an Australian citizen has *never* caused loss of UK citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Sep 26th 2005, 3:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Quantative evidence showsthat they have dealt with this situation much more effectively than Australia:

9/9 returned Vs 0/1 returned
Make that 1/2 for Aus - remember Mamdou Habib?
Old Sep 26th 2005, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
Make that 1/2 for Aus - remember Mamdou Habib?
agreed, I forgot
Old Sep 26th 2005, 5:49 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

My post is not concerned with wether he is guilty or not but rather the support that citizens get when overseas. British Citizens are, apparently, more important than Australian Citizens.
No - I think you`ll find it`s not a case of BC`s being more important than AC`s , it`s the way the two governments view the legality of the court process in Guatanamo, the BG demended repatriation because it did not view the process as fair and legal. Maybe the AG views it as a case of "If you were stupid enough to go over & fight with the Taliban and then get caught then maybe you should take the consequences". I can see this being a thread for TIO forum.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 6:03 am
wombat42

Yes how terrible the Aussie government is not trying to get terrorists out of jail so they can blow up innocent people on trains and buses.

Last edited by wombat42; Sep 26th 2005 at 6:05 am.

Old Sep 26th 2005, 6:06 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Yes how terrible the Aussie government is not trying to get terrorist out of jail so they can blow up innocent people on trains and buses.
Indeed, it's not really a case of how hard the UK Govt is on the US and how soft Australia is, it's more a case of how soft the UK is on terrorists and how hard the Australia is.

Paul.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

fugly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
No - I think you`ll find it`s not a case of BC`s being more important than AC`s , it`s the way the two governments view the legality of the court process in Guatanamo, the BG demended repatriation because it did not view the process as fair and legal. Maybe the AG views it as a case of "If you were stupid enough to go over & fight with the Taliban and then get caught then maybe you should take the consequences". I can see this being a thread for TIO forum.
excellent points.

an Australian citizen [at least he thought he was until he found the british citizenship loop hole]...goes to fight with the taliban, gets caught fightin british and aus citizens and then wants to hide behind the british government shirt tails cos the aussie govenment wont help him.

dont know if he's innocent or guilty but facts are he was on the opposite side when fightin.

chances r he's not paid a penny in UK tax and he entered taliban country on his aussie passport.

he doesn't need good character [by UK citizenship standards]...but is maybe entitled to get UK citizenship.

weather its"OK" for this person to use this loop hole or not wont make a difference. he might av a legal right, even if the facts say he dont have a moral right.

Let the UK tax payers shell out for anohter of the worlds problems...

who cares?

If UK govenment is too stoopid to change the law to stop "users" then whos fault is that.

if this aint a kick in the arse for every decent UK citizen.... then wot is

Aus got it right i reckon
Old Sep 26th 2005, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I agree with you the government stink in almost every area, corrupt gutless pollies in many cases too, I wondered if I had missed the point here. Australias looking to be seen as taking a tough line on terrorists, and despite what many may imagine australia does have home grown australian men who are suspected terrorists, why should it help them get off?
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
well phrased, but are you suggesting that an unfair system should be applied to stupid people? I would suggest that a system should be fair full stop and that people are innocent until a 'fair' system judges them guilty. If the americans do not have the capability to do this then they should be brought back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.