Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi, thought I'd introduce us!

Hi, thought I'd introduce us!

Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

kind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant future
Default Hi, thought I'd introduce us!

Been lurking a wee bit so thought I'd say hi
I'm 26 and hubby is 30, we have 2 little boys and are hoping to move out to Adelaide in the next 18mths or so. We currently live in n.Ireland.
I'm an Australian citizen and will be applying for citizenship soon for my sons too. I spent the majority of my teenage years in Adelaide(thanks to my aussie mum) but moved back and forth a bit(family ties here) and eventually settled down and married my N.I hubby over here.

I have spent years wanting to get back to Australia...as all my siblings are now out there...but hubby hasn't been so sure. I have waited and not pushed the idea but recently he has decided that he would like to go!
So, lots of planning to do from here on in!
Hubby will be applying for the SA police when they are next recruiting(hopefully, early 2008) as he'd like to have a job to come out to. I'm at home full time with the kids, so we need an income. This means a bit of waiting but I am champing at the BIT to go! Patience is not one of my strong points
Anyway, I shall stop waffling, hope to talk to you all soon.
Good luck to you all with your big moves!
Olivia

Last edited by kind_of_aussie; Apr 21st 2007 at 12:34 pm. Reason: spelling.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:36 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, thought I'd introduce us!

Hello and welcome to the forum. You probably already know more of the answers than most

Good luck with the move, when it finally comes around.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

kind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant futurekind_of_aussie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hello and welcome to the forum. You probably already know more of the answers than most

Good luck with the move, when it finally comes around.

thankyou!
I doubt I do know more than most, I've nearly 9 years of catching up to do, I reckon things will have changed in adelaide since then. I may be able to be of some use on here sometimes though.
Plus I only had myself to move back then, can't make any rash decsisions and pack up and leave at the drop of a hat now Got to think of the littlies and what is the best way for them. My brothers and mum are being really helpful with info e.t.c. We just need to get hubby a JOB

He could go out on a spouse visa and apply locally, meaning we could be out there in a few months but there are are no guarantees and he could be jobless for a while. So, now we wait......
We are thinking of applying for the spouse visa for him anyway, so it's already in place when he applies. We need to find out where we stand with that though.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough

What will you miss about Northern Ireland?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Iolair
What will you miss about Northern Ireland?
I will miss tons about N.Ireland....when I lived in Oz before the only thing I really missed was my dad, he isn't around now, so thats not holding me here anymore.
I of course, will miss my friends but apart from that, not a lot. If my dad hadn't been in N.Ireland, I probably would've stayed in Adelaide and not come back.
I'm glad I came back here though, as if I didn't, I wouldn't have married my big fella and had my lovely wee boys
I reckon my hubby will miss it more than me, truth be told, as it's the only place he has ever lived(apart from Scotland, which is much the same really)
If we can afford it, I'd like to take him out on holiday first, so he knows what he is coming out to.
Are you going back soon then?!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

If you PM me with your email address, I have a check list you can use for when you apply for your sons citizenship. I applied for it for my girls in February and I'm currently helping my sister through applying for her boys.

Welcome to the Forum....

Originally Posted by kind_of_aussie

I'm 26 and hubby is 30, we have 2 little boys and are hoping to move out to Adelaide in the next 18mths or so. We currently live in n.Ireland.
I'm an Australian citizen and will be applying for citizenship soon for my sons too. I spent the majority of my teenage years in Adelaide(thanks to my aussie mum) but moved back and forth a bit(family ties here) and eventually settled down and married my N.I hubby over here.

I have spent years wanting to get back to Australia...as all my siblings are now out there...but hubby hasn't been so sure. I have waited and not pushed the idea but recently he has decided that he would like to go!
Hubby will be applying for the SA police when they are next recruiting(hopefully, early 2008) as he'd like to have a job to come out to. I'm at home full time with the kids, so we need an income. This means a bit of waiting but I am champing at the BIT to go! Patience is not one of my strong points
Olivia
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough

I've been in Northern Ireland for close to three years now and truth be told am not too fond of the place. My husband is from here and we made the decision to go home to Melbourne just last January. From the Australian High Commission recieving all our paperwork to them approving our application for his Permanent Residency Visa... four days passed.

There are a few things however, that I will miss about Northern Ireland...

I will miss wasting water like there's no tomorrow and not having to pay water rates. I will miss that there's no road rage here in Northern Ireland.

I will not miss that every aspect of life here seems to be smothered in either religion or politics. I'll not be missing the weather, the food and the warm beer!

We plan to return to Oz in late June and I'm absolutely delighted!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Olivia

Hi Olivia

Why dont you join us in "The Barbie" - we have a thread called "Spouse Visa Circle", there are loads of us in the same boat, either Aussies or the other halves of Aussies (I for example am married to an Aussie, got 3 kids who we have just got citizenship for and we are off in Jan next year after 12 years here!!)

Cheers
Rachel
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:28 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Olivia
Hi Olivia, just wanted to say welcome on board.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RachelH
Hi Olivia

Why dont you join us in "The Barbie" - we have a thread called "Spouse Visa Circle", there are loads of us in the same boat, either Aussies or the other halves of Aussies (I for example am married to an Aussie, got 3 kids who we have just got citizenship for and we are off in Jan next year after 12 years here!!)

Cheers
Rachel
Second that! I'm mostly over on the 'Spouse Visa' thread!

I've been here for almost 9 1/2 years, so I know what you mean about a lot of catching up to do! I still can't believe that I am FINALLY going back after all this time!

Good luck with you plans x
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the welcome everyone
Will be over to the spouse thread soonish I reckon...I'm getting addicted to this place already
medwaymark, thanks for that, I shall pm you soon
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Iolair
I've been in Northern Ireland for close to three years now and truth be told am not too fond of the place. My husband is from here and we made the decision to go home to Melbourne just last January. From the Australian High Commission recieving all our paperwork to them approving our application for his Permanent Residency Visa... four days passed.

There are a few things however, that I will miss about Northern Ireland...

I will miss wasting water like there's no tomorrow and not having to pay water rates. I will miss that there's no road rage here in Northern Ireland.

I will not miss that every aspect of life here seems to be smothered in either religion or politics. I'll not be missing the weather, the food and the warm beer!

We plan to return to Oz in late June and I'm absolutely delighted!

know totally what you mean abou the politics thing Hope everything works out well for you! YAY
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum - it's great here

Wishing you all the best for a smooth return home.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He could go out on a spouse visa and apply locally, meaning we could be out there in a few months but there are are no guarantees and he could be jobless for a while. So, now we wait......
We are thinking of applying for the spouse visa for him anyway, so it's already in place when he applies. We need to find out where we stand with that though.

As you have children then as you've (presumably) been together for 2+ years, he would be eligible for a permanent spouse visa. So I'd suggest you go ahead and sort this out immediately - only caveat is that it may need to be validated with a holiday in Australia if not ready to make the move straight away.

Are you also a British citizen?