Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi there, are kiwis allowed to join in??

Hi there, are kiwis allowed to join in??

Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough
Default Hi there, are kiwis allowed to join in??

Hi there

I am new here and have been reading through a lot of the forums. I know I am not a british expat but I have found a lot of the information I have read also applys to me here. I have actually found quite a lot of useful information and alot of things that I didnt know.

My hubby is in the process of going through job interviews and so far has had positive feedback from Brisbane, Perth and Hervey Bay. We are now just waiting for a formal job offer to come about. Does anyone know how long it could take for a formal job offer to come through. He is in the proffesional job market and dont want to make the big move to Australia unless he has a job to come to.

I do home based childcare so any where that there is children I can work. Has anyone had experience with home based child care and is it easy to get into in Australia.

thanks
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there, are kiwis allowed to join in??

Hi there. I can't help with any of that, but wanted to welcome you to the board
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kids carer
Hi there

I am new here and have been reading through a lot of the forums. I know I am not a british expat but I have found a lot of the information I have read also applys to me here. I have actually found quite a lot of useful information and alot of things that I didnt know.

My hubby is in the process of going through job interviews and so far has had positive feedback from Brisbane, Perth and Hervey Bay. We are now just waiting for a formal job offer to come about. Does anyone know how long it could take for a formal job offer to come through. He is in the proffesional job market and dont want to make the big move to Australia unless he has a job to come to.
How long is a piece of string? there is no set timeframe as it can depend on what type of job, who with, how good the other interviewees were, how long the panel decide to mull over the selection process etc. Could be a day, could be a week, a month or never - positive feedback is no guarantee that they are going to make an offer. It is also a possibility that they could decide withdraw the vacancy altogether and not to fill it.

As for the childcare, here's some information from Communities dept in Qld:
http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/ch...ccservice.html
http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/ch...lopers-kit.pdf

Last edited by The Bloke; Nov 18th 2008 at 11:04 am.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there. Whereabouts in NZ are you? We are British expats but have lived in NZ for much of our lives and we were looking at the same places as you. We went over for a look at Perth, Brisbane and HB in June and had contacted a few prospective employers beforehand. I think it depends on the nature of your husband's work and qualifications and how sought after he is. Mine has lots of experience in lots of areas, but we found that although people rang him and seemed to like him they wanted him to be living there before they were prepared to offer a firm job, even though he stressed that he would move over to start work and leave us behind. I'd say if he doesn't hear from them ring them up and be a nuisance. I hope you get something.

As it happens I'm kind of glad my OH didn't get a job as our house prices have dropped and we can't afford to go just now, but hopefully in the future. Still love Hervey Bay.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:57 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi just wanted to say welcome to BE xx
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I do home based childcare so any where that there is children I can work. Has anyone had experience with home based child care and is it easy to get into in Australia.

thanks

G'day. Of course you are welcome. I am not a BE either

Hervey Bay - what kind of work does he do ? There is not much around there you know that right ?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Hi there. Whereabouts in NZ are you? We are British expats but have lived in NZ for much of our lives and we were looking at the same places as you. We went over for a look at Perth, Brisbane and HB in June and had contacted a few prospective employers beforehand. I think it depends on the nature of your husband's work and qualifications and how sought after he is. Mine has lots of experience in lots of areas, but we found that although people rang him and seemed to like him they wanted him to be living there before they were prepared to offer a firm job, even though he stressed that he would move over to start work and leave us behind. I'd say if he doesn't hear from them ring them up and be a nuisance. I hope you get something.

As it happens I'm kind of glad my OH didn't get a job as our house prices have dropped and we can't afford to go just now, but hopefully in the future. Still love Hervey Bay.
We are in Christchurch and our house prices have dropped a lot here too which is a bit of a worry especially when we change it into the $Aus.

Hubby is a Quantity Surveyor and has also heard from different companies who have given him interviews. They have also done reference checks and one has done a medical so we took that as they were fairly interested. I guess it is now a wait and see to see if he does get offered something. He will be emailing them all again this week to see where they are at.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by E3only
G'day. Of course you are welcome. I am not a BE either

Hervey Bay - what kind of work does he do ? There is not much around there you know that right ?

We didnt originally look at Hervey Bay, we are now looking at it because there was a job there that he could do and so applied for. I think Hervey Bay would actually be a nice way for us to be introduced to Australia, that is if he gets offered a job there. (fingers crossed)
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt originally look at Hervey Bay, we are now looking at it because there was a job there that he could do and so applied for. I think Hervey Bay would actually be a nice way for us to be introduced to Australia, that is if he gets offered a job there. (fingers crossed)
Are you New Zealand citizens?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you New Zealand citizens?
Yes we are NZ citizens, both born and raised here.