Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hi from tauranga nz

hi from tauranga nz

Old May 10th 2003, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by firing1
there seems to be a lot of interest in the program over here too.
people are e mailing friends and relatives in the uk to let them know it's on.
Spooky - that's just what I've done! I hope it shows the area in a good light & that the sun was always shining!

It must feel quite weird knowing you're going to be on telly in the UK & not being able to see it....

Nicola.
Old May 10th 2003, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

sputnikspouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tauranga info

Originally posted by Scarlett G
Have sent message to your pm. Also try www.businesses4sale.co.nz it is a Taranga based real estate agent who also deals in businesses.
Sorry havent been able to get back to u son colapsed in B.Auckland on Tues and have been spending all my time at the hospital Havent recieved a pm from u
regards
Old May 10th 2003, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

we were allowed to freeze the mortgage for three months but time has run out now so we have to pay it again if the house doesn't sell in the next four weeks. if anyone has any good ideas let me know. we can't rent it out because we need the money from the sale to buy our property here. anyway we just read that house prices in the midlands are predicted to rise 11% this year so maybe the papers should print that on their front page instead of the usual scare stories about prices falling (which hasn't happened apart from london maybe)
i think gavin enjoyed his visit and we gave him loads of info to take home. he also saw that it is difficult and we still go through a whole range of emotions regarding the move. anyway i've been asked to judge the battle of the bands again this saturday so that'll be a good night and i've just got a big order for the business so i'm working flat out at the moment.
seems weird the tv show going out next week as we are so far away and it seems like such a long time ago.anyway i hope it's interesting.
Sorry haven't been able to get back to u sooner. my son that I had told u about in a prev.note colapsed on his way home from college on tues so have been spending all my time at the hospital with him we are awaiting results of c.t brain scan.
hope u are all still doing well and the jobs keep coming.
take care
Old May 10th 2003, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope your son get's better and that you settle into life in New Zealand.
Old May 11th 2003, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sputnikspouse

Originally posted by sputnikspouse
Sorry havent been able to get back to u son colapsed in B.Auckland on Tues and have been spending all my time at the hospital Havent recieved a pm from u
regards
Hope things are getting better - check messages again.
Old May 12th 2003, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, just found something amusing about tauranga. we had noticed that most of our neighbours are twice our age and tauranga is a popular place to retire. anyway a girl we know babysat for us the other night and she told us the kids call tauranga "god's waiting room". there are young people here but you have to get out and about to meet them.
we have met other uk migrants and they said they found it hard to meet people their own age (30 something)
if you are buying a business here and have children i would say you need to be looking at earning around $80,000 gross to live comfortably if you had a mortgage of say $1500 per month. you can live on a lot less than that but if you want to enjoy the bars and restaurants etc.......
the weather's still good and it's autumn now.
i hope your son gets better soon.
bye for now.
Old May 12th 2003, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

[You are right about what they say about Tauranga, THE place for people to retire. We found it hard there making friends around the 30 (ish) mark, everyone seemed older than us, but it did get easier and just before we left we were begining to make some really good friends. I met alot of people through the school/kindy by helping out etc and there is a much stronger sense of community and getting involved in the schools than over here.
Looking forward to seeing the programme tomorrow night, they did show a clip of it and it was a 'fraught' moment, but all of us who have been through it can only feel for you and appreciate how hard it can be at times, but the beach looked fab!!!
Old May 12th 2003, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best to your son we hope he has a speedy recovery! We're looking to have a mortgage of around $450 per month and earn only $40.000. We estimate we need around $18 to 20.000 a year to live on including pension, insurance, rates and all the fun activities. This is going by what we normally spend on a weekly shop etc. We've been doing loads of research on the internet and the government agency websites and there is loads of them.
Looking forward to putting the kids to bed tomorrow early and settling down to wine and watching the program without distractions.

Can't wait

Samantha and Mark
Old May 12th 2003, 4:57 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default chocs

Paul man!!!
these chocalates julie gave me to give to nicola taste like,,,we'll lets just say even the kids are turning there noses up at them. I'm chewing on one now which i have been for the last 25 minutes. are you sure they are not made by wrigleys????
cheers anyway.
how are you getting on with your house sale?we are putting ours on the market tommorow, tell julie if she is missing me that badly not to worrie because we will be over soon.i suppose that answers her question::do you think you willl be moving over here??
Very soon!!
cheers paul i'll catch you later
by the way its spring nearly summer here and its still freezing even more so at night, i'm back to wearing trousers.if julie still has home sickness everynow and then, give her a slap from me!
Old May 12th 2003, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

hi, just found something amusing about tauranga. we had noticed that most of our neighbours are twice our age and tauranga is a popular place to retire. anyway a girl we know babysat for us the other night and she told us the kids call tauranga "god's waiting room". there are young people here but you have to get out and about to meet them.
we have met other uk migrants and they said they found it hard to meet people their own age (30 something)
if you are buying a business here and have children i would say you need to be looking at earning around $80,000 gross to live comfortably if you had a mortgage of say $1500 per month. you can live on a lot less than that but if you want to enjoy the bars and restaurants etc.......
the weather's still good and it's autumn now.
i hope your son gets better soon.
bye for now.

Hi all
Thanks for all your good wishes for my son it's much appreciated.
Don't have much time to catch up at the moment but will hopefuly get back to chating to you all soon
regards maggie
Old May 13th 2003, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey gavin, it's not just the chocolate that tastes funny out here, julie's started baking!!!!
we just did a live radio interview with the bbc in coventry and they played bits from the program which was a bit weird apparently our parents have got all their friends round tonight to watch it.
the house still hasn't sold but we've had a chat with our bank manager in the uk and he has taken the pressure off a bit.
business is going really well here at the moment (i'm knackered)
if it keeps going well and we sell the house i want to buy a boat and surfboard but will probably wait til the summer.
today was really hot without a cloud in the sky but they did have an earthquake (4.9 but i don't know where it was) not in tauranga though!
hope the show is ok
Old May 13th 2003, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

... but they did have an earthquake (4.9 but i don't know where it was) not in tauranga though!
Looks like there were three on Monday! The nearest one to Tauranga was in Opotiki. This is a quite cool (but scary) web site to check them all out on!

http://www.geonet.org.nz/recent_quakes.html

Sleep easy!

Nicola
Old May 13th 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

hey gavin, it's not just the chocolate that tastes funny out here, julie's started baking!!!!
we just did a live radio interview with the bbc in coventry and they played bits from the program which was a bit weird apparently our parents have got all their friends round tonight to watch it.
the house still hasn't sold but we've had a chat with our bank manager in the uk and he has taken the pressure off a bit.
business is going really well here at the moment (i'm knackered)
if it keeps going well and we sell the house i want to buy a boat and surfboard but will probably wait til the summer.
today was really hot without a cloud in the sky but they did have an earthquake (4.9 but i don't know where it was) not in tauranga though!
hope the show is ok

hey u guy's the programme was awesome I was so glad I was able to be at home to see it I've even replayed it back and watched it all over again What a brilliant place to live I am even more envious now....you must be famous now! It didn't come over as though the relocaters had much to do it looked as though you had both done most of the leg work yourselves the only thing they seemed to have done was find a property to rent so that you had somewhere to stay when you arrived but no doubt you could have done that also it would have meant a few more nights in a hotel. Julie you seem to be a bit like me my other half calls me a cleaning freak. but it makes me feel good.(my son is doing much better and hoping to get home tommorow)
so glad to here u are geting a bit help from the bank with your house it will help keep the presure off for a bit
take care in Tauranga
Old May 13th 2003, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

looked forward to watching the programme all week and wasn't disapointed although i thought they might show a bit more of the scenery.

Good luck in your new life, I really hope it goes well for you.

Julie have you ever thought of setting up your own cleaning company!!
Old May 13th 2003, 10:28 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi firing1
I watched the program tonight,just watched it now,got husband to tape it while I was at work.Im so envious of you I wish I could just up and come to New Zealand right now but hubby still not had his qualifications assessed by nz gov they said while we wait to get our police checks and medicals done so thats what we,ll do.
your little boy made me laugh he,s so cute and reminds me of my 3yr old son who is always getting into trouble,last year he broke a bone in his foot tripping over and was in plaster up to his knee for 6 wks what was worse was my other son who,s 10yrs broke both the bones in his arm falling off a swing a wk later and he was in plaster for ages after an operation to put them back together.I practically lived in outpatient depts all through the summer school hols it was a nightmare and people were always giving me funny looks when out with the 2 of them together.I found it hard in the uk so it must have been awful in a country your not used to.
I wish you all the luck in the world for the future

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.