Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hi from tauranga nz

hi from tauranga nz

Old Apr 17th 2003, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again Firing1(Tauranga),
My husband and I have been talking and he wants to start is own business. We are not to sure what to do . He has been offered a job and we are currently waiting for the letter he has told me he's had is gut full of the advertising industry. He wants to do something else, I won't say what and where incase someone grabs is idea. We know it would work because we have researched it and spoken with people. What are the implications if he leaves the job after 3 months, would he be able to set up a business under is PR visa or his he obligation to stay with that employer? Also can he legal start a business even though he entered the country though of job offer? We would like to know if anyone can answer our question.
Samantha(Stooly)
Old Apr 17th 2003, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone thanks for the replies. i have just heard our episode goes out on may 6th and is in this saturday's daily mail supplement. it was good advice to rent first if considering tauranga as there are so many nice areas to live. i was working near some fellow poms today, they've been here 30 years , have still got their uk accents but said it's interesting that they left the uk 30 years ago for the same reasons we did! they also said they only go back for holidays and wouldn't want to live in the uk again.
nz offically hits its 4 million population this thursday it took 30 yrs to go from 3 to 4
gavin give us a ring when you get here and we'll go for that pint or litre as they drink here.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stooly
My husband and I have been talking and he wants to start is own business. We are not to sure what to do . He has been offered a job and we are currently waiting for the letter he has told me he's had is gut full of the advertising industry. He wants to do something else, I won't say what and where incase someone grabs is idea. We know it would work because we have researched it and spoken with people. What are the implications if he leaves the job after 3 months, would he be able to set up a business under is PR visa or his he obligation to stay with that employer? Also can he legal start a business even though he entered the country though of job offer? We would like to know if anyone can answer our question.
Samantha(Stooly)
I'm sure that's no problem (although I can't back it up with evidence at the moment!). Once you're there it doesn't matter what you do, don't think you even need to start the job.

I have read this somewhere, just can't remember where!

Gra....
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stooly
Samantha(Stooly)
Samantha - there are no implications from the NZIS perspective if you leave the job (that gave you points for PR). You don't even need to start the job - the job offer is all that is needed to get the PR points. And a PR holder can certainly start a business in NZ.

Cheers - Don
Old Apr 17th 2003, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

sputnikspouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ratliffe
Hi there Sputnikspouse.
Guess what! i'm going to papamoa Tauranga on saturday for 2 weeks because myself and family hopefully will be living there soon after.I hope firing 1 is reading this because his taking me out for a pint when i get over there. I have got a job interview already!!!
I will be staying in papamoa for my duration, so when i come back i will be more than happy to let everyone know what i think it is like in a 2 week period.live your dream and good luck!
Hi Ratliffe
I'm so green with envy lucky you.hope your job interview proves to be fruitful. when you meet up with firing 1 have a drink for us and perhaps we may all be able to meet up some day and do likewise. have a wonderful vacation let us know all about it when you return
Old Apr 17th 2003, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by firing1
hi everyone thanks for the replies. i have just heard our episode goes out on may 6th and is in this saturday's daily mail supplement. it was good advice to rent first if considering tauranga as there are so many nice areas to live. i was working near some fellow poms today, they've been here 30 years , have still got their uk accents but said it's interesting that they left the uk 30 years ago for the same reasons we did! they also said they only go back for holidays and wouldn't want to live in the uk again.
nz offically hits its 4 million population this thursday it took 30 yrs to go from 3 to 4
gavin give us a ring when you get here and we'll go for that pint or litre as they drink here.
hi firing 1
boy this thread is getting bigger and better every day it makes good reading every night, have noted the 6th for you episode have been watching the previous 2 they were very good it was good to see someone can tell the truth instead of making things all touristy. It must have been good to meet other ex brits I would have thought they would have lost their accents after all this time.
HELP!!! Will immigration ask for audited accounts for the business I have here in the U.K. or do they just rely on the tax returns? I haven't had my accounts audited I have never used an accountant there didn't seem to be any need I just always filled in the tax forms myself as they are quite straight forward
Take care.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

as far as i know that should be fine (an accountant isn't required by law after all) the program has now moved to the 13th, we filmed an update with a new zealand crew and it looks like fed ex have lost the tape! i don't think you do lose your accent our kids will but every adult brit i've met has still got their own accent.
watched everyone surfing and chilled at the beach today, it's good friday so all the shops and business's are closed (even most of the bars!!)
the kiwi's know how to enjoy their weekends its something we are adjusting to as we used to work every weekend in the uk.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou all,
your replies have been very helpful. Firing1 we will have that drink when we arrive you.ve been a great help to me and my family. How old are your children? We have a girl of 6 and boy of 2 and a half. It's been great to speak to someone actually from the area we are looking to move to. It would be great to keep communicating and your more than welcome if you need someone to chat to.
Thankyou again
Samantha and family
Old Apr 19th 2003, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

as far as i know that should be fine (an accountant isn't required by law after all) the program has now moved to the 13th, we filmed an update with a new zealand crew and it looks like fed ex have lost the tape! i don't think you do lose your accent our kids will but every adult brit i've met has still got their own accent.
watched everyone surfing and chilled at the beach today, it's good friday so all the shops and business's are closed (even most of the bars!!)
the kiwi's know how to enjoy their weekends its something we are adjusting to as we used to work every weekend in the uk.
now is'nt that just typical to loose the tape and knock us all back another week. How u all doing now are u enjoying the easter break? I bet u are all sat on the beech while we are all here freezing. It looks as of we are going to have the typical bank holiday weather wind / rain. How old are your children?
when I do a cash flow projection on my business plan should it be in pounds or n.z. dollars?
take care in tauranga.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

penzer is an unknown quantity at this point

just read your article again in daily mail (4th time) to make sure i didnt miss anything. wanting more, more, more.......good luck, cant wait for it to be on tv.....

Old Apr 20th 2003, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

hi all, we have a girl of ten and a boy who's three. re the cashflow it should be in new zealand dollars. it's hard to predict how a business will work especially when you've never been to the country but they are just predictions after all. we went to auckland at the weekend it was good, a bit like going to london for the day, glad we live in tauranga though.
Old Apr 21st 2003, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

hi all, we have a girl of ten and a boy who's three. re the cashflow it should be in new zealand dollars. it's hard to predict how a business will work especially when you've never been to the country but they are just predictions after all. we went to auckland at the weekend it was good, a bit like going to london for the day, glad we live in tauranga though.
thanks for the info. we have just got back from visiting my sister in scotland and am whacked the traveling is very tiring. did you make your predictions for your present business going by what you made in your business here. do they expect your predictions to be as realistic or is it better to go a bit higher? Do you find you get more time for doing family things in N.Z than u did in the u.k.
take care.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

i actually bought a franchise because they provide all the figures for you. you would have to predict it on your business in the uk if it relocated here (pop 180,000) as a rough guess and try to be realistic. yaeh there is a lot more time for family things, new zealand is more family "friendly" than the uk and great for kids.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Hello again.
We've just been working out some figures for our business idea. We are a little stuck, we were wandering if you could give some advice. We need to know roughly how much building business insurance and also equipment insurance. Can seem to get any info of the internet. Obviously we need just a wrong idea. If you can think of any other useful advice, it will would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank you

Samantha and Mark
Old Apr 26th 2003, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

What did you think about the article about you in the Mail magazine? Did you find it hard to have camera's on you when you were trying to get sorted in a new country?

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.