Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi - newbie introducing himself.

Hi - newbie introducing himself.

Old Feb 29th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice
Default Hi - newbie introducing himself.

Hi all, great website!

First, I'm a 25 year old bricklayer (Qualified Level 2 in 2007) from North Wales. I have been to Australia on a one year working holiday visa when I was 21 and travelled and worked all round the country for the year, I then went to New Zealand for five months before returning back home. I cannot return to Australia on a WHV as I didn't do the three months specified work sadly.

I have a friend in Perth that emmigrated two years ago, I recently spoke to him and I have a job offer from the firm he works for. I have the letter of employment with me at home now, for some reason the firm cannot offer sponsorship at the moment in time but will have a job ready for me when (if) I can there. That was the feeling about a month ago anyway, I have emailed and my friend is going to speak to the boss to see if sponsorship is now possible although very unlikely.

I have completed the online application and have spoken to a Visa Consultant several times, she thinks I have a very good chance of being accepeted for a state visa. Nothing else has been said or gone no further than this until I hear from the company in Perth.

Does anybody have any advice for me please?
If the firm cannot offer me a skilled state sponsorship, what is my best option do you think?

Thank you for reading this and hoping to hear from you soon.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:39 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi - newbie introducing himself.

Originally Posted by stevewales25
Does anybody have any advice for me please?
If the firm cannot offer me a skilled state sponsorship, what is my best option do you think?

Thank you for reading this and hoping to hear from you soon.
The one thing that worries me is if this building firm is small and work volumes may vary meaning the job might become unstable?.

You wouldn't want to be in a position where they had to lay you off due to no work or the company goes bust and he sacks everyone. You would then have the problem of finding a new sponsor company or leave the country in 28 days.

I guess I'm saying make sure the company is sound to save you a lot of problems in the future.

Good luck
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice

I have never met the owner of the company but I know they have won several Western Australia big awards for Bricklaying. Thanks for the information there, I wasn't aware of the fact that I would have 28 days to find a new sponsor if my original sponsor was to lay me off/go bust etc.

If I was to get a WA state visa, would I be able to work in any Industry or would it have to be construction?

I have two friends who recently returned to the UK after going to Australia to settle down but it didn't work out for them, their first choice was WA but it was easier to get into South Australia so they went there instead, is this still the case?

Thanks
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:21 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above comments regarding the possible risks involved with the company your mate works for.

Seeing that you are just 25, why not go for a PR visa, and just take a bit longer getting here, if you say that a migration agent has said they fell you have a good chance of getting a visa.

We came on a 457 and it was ideal for our situation, but the security of a PR visa is worth the wait if you can.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:28 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevewales25
I have never met the owner of the company but I know they have won several Western Australia big awards for Bricklaying. Thanks for the information there, I wasn't aware of the fact that I would have 28 days to find a new sponsor if my original sponsor was to lay me off/go bust etc.

Officially it is 28 days, but if you make immigration aware of your situation, they can be a bit leniant, but you aren't given heaps of time to find alternative work with a new sponsor

If I was to get a WA state visa, would I be able to work in any Industry or would it have to be construction?

I have two friends who recently returned to the UK after going to Australia to settle down but it didn't work out for them, their first choice was WA but it was easier to get into South Australia so they went there instead, is this still the case?

They might have gone over on state sponsorship visas which can vary from state to state depending on the trade. If one state doesnt rock your boat, try another one. Its always cheaper than moving back IMO.

Thanks