Reload this Page >

Hi I am new to this....

Hi I am new to this....

Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

nicgrace will become famous soon enoughnicgrace will become famous soon enough
Default Hi I am new to this....

Hi everyone,

My name is Nicola and I have been reading posts / ideas etc on here for a few months now.....basically my husband has been offered a job in Oz and he is dead set on selling up and moving out....I am however, a bit on the nervous side.

We are newly married and I am desperate to have kids (I’m only 27 but it was always our goal to start a family after the wedding which was March this year) but everything has been put on hold till we have flown out for a reccie this December. We have a nice home, which will give us some decent equity if we sell and we both have good jobs...OH is a lighting designer and I am a PA / Office Manager within the construction industry.

We are flying out Xmas day for 3 weeks to Brisbane, travelling to Sydney for New Year then on to Melbourne which is where the OH wants to settle. Having read so many posts on here I am more favoured for Melbourne too....I have some family in Narre Warren & Richmond and the way of life / culture seems great....I am sure it would be ideal to bring up children rather than in the UK.

The thing is I have suffered with anxiety for the last 6 years and I’ve already started to worry about the whole reccie / selling up and moving out to Oz. I have just gone cold turkey after 6 years on medication and I have to say its not been one of the best experiences in my life to say the least. (I had to come off the pills to have kids...plus long term I know they aren’t great!)

I know these opportunities don’t come round often and everyone I have been speaking to wishes it was them with the chance but I am really over thinking about everything......not good I know. :curse:

Has anyone been in a similar situation. I suppose I will feel different once I have experienced Oz hey!?

Thanks everyone

Nic
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:01 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I am new to this....

Originally Posted by nicgrace
Has anyone been in a similar situation. I suppose I will feel different once I have experienced Oz hey!?

Thanks everyone

Nic
I'd certainly come and check it out - it might help crystalise your views one way or the other. It's difficult when one half of a partnership is keener than the other, particularly under the circumstances you've mentioned. All I'd say is - just because your other half's been offered a great job, doesn't mean you should move. You need to ask yourselves what, exactly, you hope to gain from emigrating.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Hi

I think the whole prospect of emigrating is really stressful - you can be excited one minute, petrified the next. I've been through the whole gamut of experiences from being sure it's the right thing to looking at buying a bigger house and staying here in the UK for a while. We will be in the same position as you, OH will have a job through company sponsorship so we're going via the 457 route (so it will all happen very quickly when he gets a job.)

All I would say is that I have finally come to the opinion that we lose nothing by giving it a go. It helps me not to look too far into the future and just to see it as an adventure for a couple of years. If it works for us, we'll stay, if not, we'll move on. I think I would regret it if I didn't give it a go. Not to say I'm not really scared, particularly of leaving my parents...

Good luck, whatever you decide. If you think you might regret it if you didn't do it, they my advice would be, give it a go!

Hope this helps.

Helen

PS we are in our early 30s and have two young children. Recently went out for a reckie and the kids LOVED it - didn't want to come home. Think Oz is a wonderful place for children.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Hutch......this time in 21 weeks I will be there so fingers crossed.

Awww thanks also to Helen....its nice to know that other people feel the same and that I am normal

I suppose you are right about giving it a go, I do have the plus side that my sister and her fella want to come out with us so it should be a lot easier having the four of us. My parents too want to come but my dad doesnt retire until october 2010.....i can't normally go a week without seeing my parents I am sooo close to them!!!

I need to get out there and stop trying to look too far down the line. I really do believe our kids will have a better life, the UK is becoming scarier each day.

How old are your kids? Were they ok on the flight?

My OH is planning on the ENS visa but this could all change....we'll just have to see!

Thanks again

Nic

Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:32 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

I havent been thro the process but theres sooooo many that get cold feet, start panicing and stressing which im sure is all understandable...my advice is just take one day at a time....Go on your reccie and see how you feel afterwards hopefully you'll fall head over heels in love with Australia and will want to move asap which ever way hun , GOOD LUCK
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Hi Nic

Our children were 3 and 1 when we did our reckie. The flights were fine - nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated. The 3 year old thought the whole thing was a huge adventure and the 1 year old slept quite a bit!

Good luck

Helen
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Roger Gee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

My name is Nicola and I have been reading posts / ideas etc on here for a few months now.....basically my husband has been offered a job in Oz and he is dead set on selling up and moving out....I am however, a bit on the nervous side.

We are newly married and I am desperate to have kids (I’m only 27 but it was always our goal to start a family after the wedding which was March this year) but everything has been put on hold till we have flown out for a reccie this December. We have a nice home, which will give us some decent equity if we sell and we both have good jobs...OH is a lighting designer and I am a PA / Office Manager within the construction industry.

We are flying out Xmas day for 3 weeks to Brisbane, travelling to Sydney for New Year then on to Melbourne which is where the OH wants to settle. Having read so many posts on here I am more favoured for Melbourne too....I have some family in Narre Warren & Richmond and the way of life / culture seems great....I am sure it would be ideal to bring up children rather than in the UK.

The thing is I have suffered with anxiety for the last 6 years and I’ve already started to worry about the whole reccie / selling up and moving out to Oz. I have just gone cold turkey after 6 years on medication and I have to say its not been one of the best experiences in my life to say the least. (I had to come off the pills to have kids...plus long term I know they aren’t great!)

I know these opportunities don’t come round often and everyone I have been speaking to wishes it was them with the chance but I am really over thinking about everything......not good I know. :curse:

Thanks everyone

Nic
I have family in Narre Warren it makes a great base to work from i paid them a visit last year and spent 3 weeks exploring, i fell for oz hook line and sinker
iam now waiting for a job offer from my family in oz,i hope you fall in love with it to try not to worry everything will fall into place.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

If I can recommend one thing during the process.......

.........Make sure you always have a cold bottle of wine in the fridge!!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone

Nic
Nic, look at it from the point of view that if you try and dont like, then you can say it wasn't for you but if you dont try.......can you live with nagging doubt....WHAT IF. Personally it would drive me nuts. Good luck in whatever your decision.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Guys thanks for your positive messages and feedback!!! Much appreciated!!!

I like the wine idea too....especially if its Rose!