British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   hi i am chris a 29 year old plumber (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hi-i-am-chris-29-year-old-plumber-538534/)

chris notts forest May 24th 2008 4:12 am

hi i am chris a 29 year old plumber

hi i have been a plumber for just over 4years and are currently going thru the process of geting my skilled migrant visa i am hoping to be living and working in oz this time next year i was hoping sombody could answer my questions i am a single man so will be coming alone i earn good money here in uk and realise i am going to be earning less in oz i just whant to no that i will make enough money to live i am not a big spender? i have also realised you also have to get youre licence for austrailia? how long does this take? or can it take? and how much? i have a good chunk of money from the sale of my house but didnt whant to buy a property until i can financially self function if if this takes 2yrs can anyone tell me what to exspect? i am currently doing a new course here in uk strictly on brazing to enhance my skills further as i have been told thres no blowlamps used and its all silver soldering is this true?
and finally can anybody tell me how much i can exspect to pay rent bearing in mind im on my own so very small would do any information or advice would be greatly appriciated on any areas in OZ as i am very open as to were i want to live im still deciding so please please can sombody help!:D

Racht70 May 24th 2008 9:26 am

Re: hi i am chris a 29 year old plumber

Hi Chris Welcome to BE. If you do a search for 'plumbers' im sure it will come up with some results that maybe will answer your questions or someone will be along soon to assist you, hopefully!. My oh is a plumber btw but were stuck in uk :( for now). Good luck:thumbsup:

Racht70 May 24th 2008 9:27 am

Also theres a plumbers forum on here (main page) its a bit dead tho, but you still might find something your looking for.

Machiavelli May 24th 2008 10:00 am

Hi Chris,

Welcome to BE.

Great a plumber... where were you when we needed a plumber?

Honestly, we had the worst time. We needed the Australian equivalent of a 'Corgi' gas fitter/plumber. The guy we got eventually, who was brilliant, said the there was so much work about that he could pick and choose what jobs he took.

We are North of Brisbane. The guy next door to me is a plumber, (does not do gas or I could have got him to do the job), and travels for miles, one day he could be on Gold Coast, next, on Sunshine Coast.

I get the impression that many tradies cover a lot of miles in their days work.

Good Luck!

M;)

johnknight001 May 24th 2008 11:39 am

Hi Chris
i take it you are going done the vettasses route for skills test?
this should give you the basic start or a provisional licence depending on states, this is the big thing they all have different licensing rules, there are a few guys on here plumbng in aus but not many post, as you will see the plumbing forum is dead for some reason, the sparky one is very busy and i have got a lot of info from there (i knew i should have been a sparky).
let me know if i canhelp any more.
john

Originally Posted by chris notts forest (Post 6387551)
hi i have been a plumber for just over 4years and are currently going thru the process of geting my skilled migrant visa i am hoping to be living and working in oz this time next year i was hoping sombody could answer my questions i am a single man so will be coming alone i earn good money here in uk and realise i am going to be earning less in oz i just whant to no that i will make enough money to live i am not a big spender? i have also realised you also have to get youre licence for austrailia? how long does this take? or can it take? and how much? i have a good chunk of money from the sale of my house but didnt whant to buy a property until i can financially self function if if this takes 2yrs can anyone tell me what to exspect? i am currently doing a new course here in uk strictly on brazing to enhance my skills further as i have been told thres no blowlamps used and its all silver soldering is this true?
and finally can anybody tell me how much i can exspect to pay rent bearing in mind im on my own so very small would do any information or advice would be greatly appriciated on any areas in OZ as i am very open as to were i want to live im still deciding so please please can sombody help!:D

Demented Ferret May 25th 2008 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by chris notts forest (Post 6387551)

Hi Chris, i to was plumbing in Mansfield Notts and big NFFC fans, been over here 2.5 years now. If you knuckle down with the course (correspondence 2/3 months. My prob is life is so busy over here struggle to find time to study. As for renting, most single people seem to share over here, i know guys who rent 3 bedroom places for $300 a week and divide the cost. Anything under that amount is prob run down. And yes only silver solder across here, but bring your turbo torch as it saves setting up oxy bottles for small bore pipe. And for advice on where to live Brisbane is the place to be matey.

Dale

chris notts forest May 25th 2008 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret (Post 6391724)
Hi Chris, i to was plumbing in Mansfield Notts and big NFFC fans, been over here 2.5 years now. If you knuckle down with the course (correspondence 2/3 months. My prob is life is so busy over here struggle to find time to study. As for renting, most single people seem to share over here, i know guys who rent 3 bedroom places for $300 a week and divide the cost. Anything under that amount is prob run down. And yes only silver solder across here, but bring your turbo torch as it saves setting up oxy bottles for small bore pipe. And for advice on where to live Brisbane is the place to be matey.

Dale

ayup mate thanks for the response and ye up the reds and leeds have just lost by the way lol im working in skegby at mo do you no it? i work for a big company called J.Tommlinson based in beeston notts youve probably heard of them if you only left 2.5 years ago i wasnt very good at the brazing side when i was at college mate and that was a while ago just never had to do it at work thats all thats why im going to do a quick course to brush up on it. does it take long to get used to the diferent working meathods? and am i better bringing all my own tools IE power tools and hand tools?

SimonG May 25th 2008 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by chris notts forest (Post 6392364)
ayup mate thanks for the response and ye up the reds and leeds have just lost by the way lol im working in skegby at mo do you no it? i work for a big company called J.Tommlinson based in beeston notts youve probably heard of them if you only left 2.5 years ago i wasnt very good at the brazing side when i was at college mate and that was a while ago just never had to do it at work thats all thats why im going to do a quick course to brush up on it. does it take long to get used to the diferent working meathods? and am i better bringing all my own tools IE power tools and hand tools?

Chris,

On the tools side, everything I've read or been told says leave your hand tools and take all your power tools.

Simon.

Demented Ferret May 26th 2008 6:40 am

Hi matey, yeah i do know Skegby, slightly different from here mate. As for tools i bought the lot and never regretted it. Leave your pipe benders and slices. I'm still adjusting to plumbing but work for a company which are very understanding, stay focussed and positive, a single guy you should have no worries. BRING ON THE RAMS

chris notts forest May 31st 2008 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret (Post 6394071)
Hi matey, yeah i do know Skegby, slightly different from here mate. As for tools i bought the lot and never regretted it. Leave your pipe benders and slices. I'm still adjusting to plumbing but work for a company which are very understanding, stay focussed and positive, a single guy you should have no worries. BRING ON THE RAMS

hi mate just whanted to ask some advice im going to brissy for 3wks in sep i am going to visit a TAFFE while i am there i whanted to get a look at some plumbing work while i am there aswell hav u any any ideas? im doing the vetasses test my agent says thats what i need to do even with my papers and apprentiship!
really want to see some plumbers out there and some of the work done
PS forest signed earnshaw from the sheep yesterday 2.65m the sheep aimt happy mate! lol

chris notts forest May 31st 2008 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by chris notts forest (Post 6419498)
hi mate just whanted to ask some advice im going to brissy for 3wks in sep i am going to visit a TAFFE while i am there i whanted to get a look at some plumbing work while i am there aswell hav u any any ideas? im doing the vetasses test my agent says thats what i need to do even with my papers and apprentiship!
really want to see some plumbers out there and some of the work done
PS forest signed earnshaw from the sheep yesterday 2.65m the sheep aimt happy mate! lol

and have you any idea of the pay in brissy for a prov licence plumber?

jopaul Jun 1st 2008 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret (Post 6391724)

Dale

Hi Dale and you to Chris
Goodness me I look for local people and dont find any then 2 come along in the same thread.:)
We are from Mansfield and moved to Adelaide 5 months ago My OH is in Mechanical services and was a Site foreman for Field Associates in Mansfield. I dont know wether you heard of them?? Then he went to work for Skerrits in Nottingham. Goodness me a very small world. Hope you are getting along ok.

He contacted a few companies before we came out and email his CV, so got a few interviews lined up. He hasnt got a licence and trades under the company one. As for tool he bought all his drills and other power tools and some of his hand tools, but i think he is glad he did as things can be a bit pricy here.
Good luck
Jo

Ps its a sad day as Mansfield Town have now been religated.:(

rocket01 Jun 1st 2008 7:44 am

Originally Posted by chris notts forest (Post 6419502)
and have you any idea of the pay in brissy for a prov licence plumber?

Around about $30 to $35 an hour, just a bit less than a sprinkler fitter which
I am.

chris notts forest Jun 1st 2008 7:57 am

Originally Posted by jopaul (Post 6421116)
Hi Dale and you to Chris
Goodness me I look for local people and dont find any then 2 come along in the same thread.:)
We are from Mansfield and moved to Adelaide 5 months ago My OH is in Mechanical services and was a Site foreman for Field Associates in Mansfield. I dont know wether you heard of them?? Then he went to work for Skerrits in Nottingham. Goodness me a very small world. Hope you are getting along ok.

He contacted a few companies before we came out and email his CV, so got a few interviews lined up. He hasnt got a licence and trades under the company one. As for tool he bought all his drills and other power tools and some of his hand tools, but i think he is glad he did as things can be a bit pricy here.
Good luck
Jo

Ps its a sad day as Mansfield Town have now been religated.:(

yes i no skerrits i work for J.Tommlinson and a load of our lads have just gone to work for skerrits inc our manager do you no how much pay you get when you get youre prov licence?

chris notts forest Jun 1st 2008 8:06 am

Originally Posted by rocket01 (Post 6421159)
Around about $30 to $35 an hour, just a bit less than a sprinkler fitter which
I am.

thanks for that mate i had heard it was a bit less than that until you got youre full licence