Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HI family from Armagh hopefully moving early 2009

HI family from Armagh hopefully moving early 2009

Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Al and Jacque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HI family from Armagh hopefully moving early 2009

Hi everyone my first post here but have been addicted for some time, I am a Carpenter and my wife was a Service Advisor for a car dealership, We have two boys 6 & 3. We went to Melbourne in Feb 07 and bought a transit van and converted it to a camper, with a lot of materials bought from bunnings, we then travelled the Great Ocean Road then back to Melbourne for a few days, then headed for Sydney on the Hume Highway. Stayed in Sydney about a week then headed for the Gold Coast via Palm Beach, a beautifull place. we stayed at Lake Macquarie and Coffs Harbour then onto the Gold Coast for a Fortnight visiting theme parks etc. Due to family pressure we returned home on 26th April 2007, things were ok for a while but Australia has been pulling us back ever since, though family is still making things very difficult, we hope to bite the bullet and return very soon. We can't decide between Melbourne and Brisbane, we have great friends in Melbourne and Jacqueline has two cousins in Brisbane, we would be gratefull of any information regarding accommodation, schools and work, thanks Al and Jacque
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:22 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HI family from Armagh hopefully moving early 2009

What happened to the van?? (people will want to know)

Accomodation?
- Hard question too answer because have no idea if your prefer new build, new estate area, near the sea near, the city, number of bedrooms/bathrooms, carparking etc.
- Rentals are supposed to be increasing while purchase prices declining.
- Keep to easy public transport routes (even if you both plan to drive)
- Think about the kids growing up and what options there are for them in say 5 years when they may want to get into the city during the weekend or access the beach.

Work?
- Would expect you will find it easier in Melbourne to obtain work and I would expect this would be your first priority - everything else would fall into place after this.

Schools?
- Private or public
- public (see accomodation prices which reflect value of local schools)
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

hi everyone the van was sold back to the dealer i purchased it off in Oakleigh i think, quite near chadstone shopping centre, my wife loved going shopping there, it is massive, when we were over before we stayed with friends in ashwood so are quite familiar with that area, so we were thinking of somewhere near by, we would be looking for a rental with 3 bedrooms, possibly 2 bathrooms, the boys would be going to public schools so if anybody could recommend a good primary in the area we would be very gratefull
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

debandp will become famous soon enough

Hi there we too are leaving NI hopefully when a visa is granted.We have only researched rather than visited Brisbane but have decided its the place for us.Some friends also moved there two years ago and are delighted with their new life,hubby also has a job offer so fate took over. I have only looked at high schools for my 13year old but I am very pleased with whats on offer.Have you a visa already or was your 2007 trip just a visit?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Our visas were granted in January 07, how is your visa going as we know it is very hard work, how is your family taking your decision to move, when do you hope to move, where you at the Australian expo at the Radisson hotel a few weeks ago.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

alandnic is on a distinguished road

Hi Al & Jacque,

We are leaving Portadown for Melbourne (Blackburn North, about 20mins down the road from Ashwood) in June 09, should have been there this June but our house sale fell through which messed things up no end.

My brother in law is a joiner and says he is still busy and hasn't noticed a slowdown yet. Not sure about schools as my kids are both under 3.

The entire issue with family is a nightmare, on my side anyway. I can't get it to sink in, they just will not accept it and still think the move will never happen.

Hope it works out,

Al & Nicola
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

hi Al and Nic,

Its so good to hear of somebody close by who is going through the same thing, my family is the reason we returned home the first time, but we guess it was meant to be as Jacquelines mother was diagnosed with cancer in June and sadly passed away in September, thankfully we got to spend alot of time with her before she passed away, so we were glad we returned home. You never know what life can bring but i guess we have to do what seems right for ourselves and our children. I was paid off in October and finding a job here has become impossible, i'm sure you're aware the building trade here has collapsed. I guess we are just going to have to be firm with our families as i can't sit here much longer as i have always worked and finding things very difficult.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all

hi you lot
we are from portadown as well. got our visa jan 07 but still here.
we are still considering the move so nothing definate yet. but last face it, n.ireland (and portadown in particular) hasnt got much to offer.
would really need to sell the house first as well.

scratchey
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

debandp will become famous soon enough

Hi there. Family took it fairly well but have since been told thats not the case in private. Dont know whats worse crying and wailing or quiet sadness. My Mum was also diagnosied with cancer last year but thankfully has pulled through.Our son has also decided to stay here for university though he will be included on the visa, when we get it. Paul, main applicant, has an occupation on the new critical list and we have applied for a 176 so hopefully things will speedup or at least hit the 6 month mark. So all in all leaving isnt going to be easy and thats before we try and sell the house.