Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi. Brisbane bound.

Hi. Brisbane bound.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:42 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi. Brisbane bound.

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Hi
We too have only been using this site for a short time but already found some sound advice from some excellent people some of whom we met yesterday on our first meet which I arranged (with a little help).

We are also with you on the committment side we have never been to Oz before either and my other half is a nurse and needs to get work in one of the hospitals there. We have 2 yound girls (9 and nearly 1) so we are also scared. :scared:

But on the other hand we have the opportunity to go and we are going!!! We do not want to be in the same situation as Rich's parents and a lot of other people in the UK that wish they had done it and didn't. No regrets wanted. We too are hoping to be out next year to Brisbane. Tell Debs she can enrol in the Ladies drinking club.

We have friends that have been out there for 2 weeks now so we will be going to the same area as them.

On your question about storgae companies we have had quotes from PSS. They seem very reasonable. We had quotes for full and half containers cos again we aren't sure whether to take out all our things. You can reach them on www.planned-storage.co.uk.

Hope this helps, what area are you from newcomer??

Ang
Good luck to one all! I just hope that the gamble pays off.

I'm an adventurer myself and admire your spirits. I am giving up a lot myself to go there, so I worry when I see people giving up everything for the unknown. You've got more guts than me.

Here's to your futures!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Ok Tony point taken.
were doing exactly the same as you guys, and we feel the same. weve researched until blue in the face, and with the cost of going out there with a family its not practical or even possible to just go on a rekkie.
ive got a job at a hospital and my husband will be sorted with hgv work, at the end of the day, we know it will be hard and were not looking at it through rose coloured glasses, but as long as we are there for each other to prop up when times are tough, im pretty sure we'll be fine.
goodluck to you,

Trish
Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:07 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
were doing exactly the same as you guys, and we feel the same. weve researched until blue in the face, and with the cost of going out there with a family its not practical or even possible to just go on a rekkie.
ive got a job at a hospital and my husband will be sorted with hgv work, at the end of the day, we know it will be hard and were not looking at it through rose coloured glasses, but as long as we are there for each other to prop up when times are tough, im pretty sure we'll be fine.
goodluck to you,

Trish
Hi Trish

Ditto, ditto, ditto.
Which hospital have you got a job in and what as if you don't mind me asking. You can PM me if you like.
Ang
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tonyk38
You've never been to Aus? Crikey, I'd go pretty sharpish matey to see if you actually like it. A lot of people make the mistake of getting the visa and going out there for the first time afterwards only to find that the country they've commited to is not quite what they expected. You might fall in love with the country, but then you might just as easily not.

Are you going out on a PR visa or a temporary one? I suppose if it's temporary, then if you don't settle, then coming back is easier.

Good luck anyway, whatever your plans are!
We're in the same boat as 4500 times. We've got our permanent residency visa's and will be moving to the Gold Coast April time next year. I undestand your point and concern about not seeing the country before going but, join the club. There's alot of other people in the same situation as us... Haven't been there, but wanna be there. GO FOR IT. You only get one chance in life. and if it doesn't work out, well at least wev've given it our best shot. Good luck, and hopefully we will meet you all out there, and still be out there when we're old wrinklers!!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:43 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Wow i did'nt expect such a response to my 1st thread.
Thanks for all your views, and it's good to know that there are other people out there with the same intentions as us.
My older children will be out there in Sydney some time next year so that will make it easier
At the moment we are living near Rochdale, and it's really gone to the dogs.
It's a filthy hole , infested with traffic wardens
Used to be a nice town,it's a real shame.

I'm afraid i could go on and on about the reasons we want to leave, but i accept other people have different views so i won't.

It just can't come soon enough
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:03 pm
ABCDiamond

In the 2 years before I migrated here the first time, I had three holidays here to check it out, from 4 to 6 weeks each. Even that didn't give me a REAL view of the country. I feel that you don't get that until you actually live here.

Not all of Australia is to my liking, but I like it where I have now settled

Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In the 2 years before I migrated here the first time, I had three holidays here to check it out, from 4 to 6 weeks each. Even that didn't give me a REAL view of the country. I feel that you don't get that until you actually live here.

Not all of Australia is to my liking, but I like it where I have now settled
There's a lot of truth in what you say, which is why I decided to have a working holiday there first. I was able to work, pay rent and do some of the more everyday things. Nevertheless, it still helps to come here on a recce if only to find out where not to live, as much as where you would like to live.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tonyk38
There's a lot of truth in what you say, which is why I decided to have a working holiday there first. I was able to work, pay rent and do some of the more everyday things. Nevertheless, it still helps to come here on a recce if only to find out where not to live, as much as where you would like to live.
I totally agree with the Working Holiday idea, pity it can't be made compulsory

When I first came out, I suppose the mistake I made was that I treated it like a holiday, and went to the tourist areas Then when I moved properly I settled in the western suburbs of reality. However, all in all, and with only a few wasted years in the wrong area (for me), I am now quite happy

Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Donnamarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Just thought id put my twopenn'th worth in here: We have 2 children, a nice house, we love where we live but being greedy want more for our children in the future. We have the opportunity to move to Australia and hope to land in Brisbane early December (just waiting for house sale to complete). Paul has a job already and like a few of you guys we took the decision not to have a prior look around as the money a trip would cost with 2 kids in tow could be better spent helping us settle.

Our shipping company did a survey among its clients and out of all the people who decided to give up and come home to the uk, most of them had taken holidays in australia before hand. the trouble is, when you look at a place with your holiday goggles on it is not the same as living there, therefore you may be able to gain some local knowledge but life is going to hit you hard when you are faced with working and the day to day trials of life.

Me? - I would rather take it as it comes. Life is too short to live in one place - we moved to Andover not knowing a soul and we have been very happy here but feel we have outgrown our time here and want more adventures!

Donna
Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:11 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Hi. Brisbane bound.

Thats exactly how we feel.
The cost of going out there and the time off work would be too much for us.

We are both looking forward to the challenge, myself and Debs are a strong team but we know there will be hard times and everything isn't going to go to plan. At the end of the day as a family we know we will make it.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:42 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I totally agree with the Working Holiday idea, pity it can't be made compulsory

When I first came out, I suppose the mistake I made was that I treated it like a holiday, and went to the tourist areas Then when I moved properly I settled in the western suburbs of reality. However, all in all, and with only a few wasted years in the wrong area (for me), I am now quite happy

Ooooooooooo, that would be nice & if they could make it refundable when you get your visa it would be even better

I used http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/uk/ company to ship my stuff out with (6 boxes) and found them to be excellent. A very similar setup to the Excess Baggage link I think someone has already posted for you.

If you get a visa which grants you automatic PR (which I think all skilled but the bus. sponsored do) then you should be eligible for extra baggage as mentioned already as well (you will need to apply for it and its only available on oneway tickets). If you're thinking of bringing more than just personal items, I'd probably do it the container way - lots of links on here about that already.

I used to live in Cheshire till I came out here and would agree with the Rochdale comments - there are places like that in Brisbane too mind, just that you can go the beach at the weekend to get away from it
Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Hi Trish

Ditto, ditto, ditto.
Which hospital have you got a job in and what as if you don't mind me asking. You can PM me if you like.
Ang
hi ang, ive pm'd you
Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Donnamarie
Hi guys

Just thought id put my twopenn'th worth in here: We have 2 children, a nice house, we love where we live but being greedy want more for our children in the future. We have the opportunity to move to Australia and hope to land in Brisbane early December (just waiting for house sale to complete). Paul has a job already and like a few of you guys we took the decision not to have a prior look around as the money a trip would cost with 2 kids in tow could be better spent helping us settle.

Our shipping company did a survey among its clients and out of all the people who decided to give up and come home to the uk, most of them had taken holidays in australia before hand. the trouble is, when you look at a place with your holiday goggles on it is not the same as living there, therefore you may be able to gain some local knowledge but life is going to hit you hard when you are faced with working and the day to day trials of life.

Me? - I would rather take it as it comes. Life is too short to live in one place - we moved to Andover not knowing a soul and we have been very happy here but feel we have outgrown our time here and want more adventures!

Donna
hi donna,
feel the same as you guys, our thinking is that when we go to oz, we go and get into a routine asap, not view it as a hol. You wouldnt move to a new place over here and do the touristy bit so thats how we are going to go about it. Hopefully, the sooner we are in routines, the kids are settled in their schools and were working, we will all feel happier and more able to cope with what life throws our way.
Trish