Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi. Brisbane bound.

Hi. Brisbane bound.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:12 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Hi. Brisbane bound.

Hi everyone.
This is my 1st thread on this board so please be gentle !!!! :scared:
Me, my wife Debs and our son Blaine (3) are hoping to be out in Brisbane early next year.
I have read a lot of threads on here regarding shipping companies and now i'm in two minds as to whether we just bring out personal items (i.e clothes, photos, cds, etc etc..).
Has anyone done this ??
If so what method did you use to get your stuff out there ??
Did you use a shipping company, or did you parcel them up and send them yourselves ??
Any advise would be welcome.
And i hope to spend many happy hours on this board.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:30 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hi. Brisbane bound.

Welcome, welcome and a for the Quo avatar and name

I'm just taking my geetars, some PC equipment and a few clothes, not planning to send anything out, if it don't fit on the plane then it can't come along with me! Bit different when you have family I'd imagine

--------------------------------
Riding on a long blue paperplane
Getting seasick, sorry once again
Landing strip is getting nearer
--------------------------------

Cheers,
Matt
Old Oct 24th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to say welcome you`ll get all the answers you need on here.

With loads of luck we sould be in Brisbane mid next year, have you got any areas in mind?

Best of luck

Sue2
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

hi and welcome,

we are planning to have a container sent out with odds and sods in it, mostly filled with kids stuff i expect! (9,7 and 4) even if we downsize theres lots that we dont want to get rid of.
hope you find all the help and advice you need,its an excellent site and ive made lots of great pals.

cheers

Trish and mob
Old Oct 24th 2004, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

hi
we came to brisbane in april with our 2 young children. we flew with singapore airlines so just made use of the 40kilos each baggage allowance and only shipped 2 boxes over.
we used the company...excess baggage www.overseas-removals.com they drop the boxes and bubble wrap off for you to pack yourselves then they pick the boxes up when you are ready. i think it cost about £250. the boxes cant be heavier than 32kilos though.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

I'm only really going to be bringing my books with me. But considering the cost of shipping stuff out, I suspect that it will get left behind for sometime after I've gone.

Good luck with the move anyway!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 3:29 pm

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Hi. Brisbane bound.

Thanks for your responses and warm welcome to this board.
We are lookin' @ the Greenslopes area, as we want to be as close to the Hospital as possible cause thats where my better half will be working.

Neither of us have ever been to Oz so we are very grateful for any advice you can pass on.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Neither of us have ever been to Oz so we are very grateful for any advice you can pass on.
You've never been to Aus? Crikey, I'd go pretty sharpish matey to see if you actually like it. A lot of people make the mistake of getting the visa and going out there for the first time afterwards only to find that the country they've commited to is not quite what they expected. You might fall in love with the country, but then you might just as easily not.

Are you going out on a PR visa or a temporary one? I suppose if it's temporary, then if you don't settle, then coming back is easier.

Good luck anyway, whatever your plans are!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonyk38
You've never been to Aus? Crikey, I'd go pretty sharpish matey to see if you actually like it. A lot of people make the mistake of getting the visa and going out there for the first time afterwards only to find that the country they've commited to is not quite what they expected. You might fall in love with the country, but then you might just as easily not.

Are you going out on a PR visa or a temporary one? I suppose if it's temporary, then if you don't settle, then coming back is easier.

Good luck anyway, whatever your plans are!
Yeh Tony, a lot of people do make that mistake ...

Good luck 4500, I'll back your diving-in-at-the-deep-end style
Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:21 pm

Cool Re: Hi. Brisbane bound.

I appreciate your comments about going out there without visiting first, but the way we see it, if your gonna do it,commit yourself 100%.
Yeah it is scary :scared: but what the hell you only live once don't ya.
We just can't see any reason to stay in this once great country anymore.
Can you ???????

We will commit 100% and see what happens, and if it does'nt work out, it does'nt work out.

We know we will have a better standard of life and our young ankle biter will have the best possible start in life.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

I appreciate your comments about going out there without visiting first, but the way we see it, if your gonna do it,commit yourself 100%.
Can you ???????

We will commit 100% and see what happens, and if it does'nt work out, it does'nt work out.

We know we will have a better standard of life and our young ankle biter will have the best possible start in life.
You're making an awful lot of assumptions here......

For a start, not all of us want to leave the UK because we don't like it here. I love this country.

Secondly, your comments on Aus are based on not having been there. I think you will be surprised by one or two things.....

I don't have any problems with an adventurers spirit, but you are taking a gamble. I hope for your sakes that it is everything you hoped for.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:04 pm

Ok Tony point taken.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

We're hoping to get to Oz next year (probably July time after the school year breaks up here). I have 2 children aged 6 and 4. We're also planning to go to Brisbane but not sure exactly where yet.

I'm pretty new too to this forum but have found it very informative with many an interesting chat to be found. Hope you don't mind me joining your chat, and not sure if it answers anything, but thought I'd just add our experience/thoughts so far...

Have to say we did make a trip to Oz earlier this year as part of our 'look around to see if we like' and my husband I agreed it was the kind of place we'd like to raise our little ones. Even having made the trip it would be fair to say that in the 3 weeks we were there we were only ever going to get a taster and so not much to make a choice of a lifetime - but we have made our choice and that decision is to go and try. Despite having good jobs with children happy in a good school we feel there is more in life to come. We could stay here and carry on as we are but both of us agree we want something more/different and now is the time to try. If we fail to make it then at least we tried. We are under no illusions - we're unlikely to have equivalent jobs to what we have here, we will miss our family, etc, etc but I'd hate to sit here in 5 years to come and be wondering 'what if...?' and if we don't make a change like this now then we won't ever (because of age!!).

So, basically I'm agreeing with you '4500 times', sometimes you have to take a gamble and give things your best shot. That way at least you've tried and so long as you keep things in perspective you can only succeed - you go and try and if it works you win but even if you come back you still win because you won't be one of those sitting there in 5 years time wondering 'what if....?'

BB
Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

Ok Tony point taken.
Let me guess at what you don't like about the UK:
- Overcrowded - people and traffic
- Public transport is useless and expensive
- Spiralling house costs mean a reasonable bit of space costs the earth
- Crime and vandalism are rising in the bits of the country that you can afford to live in
- Maybe, the weather - not a problem for me but I see the appeal of more sun

I think moving to Brissy will give me more space for my money and a different (but not necessarily better) climate. The other pros/cons I hope will balance out.

I'll probably miss my friends and family (well, I KNOW I will!), the pubs (of the "quiet and quaint" variety), the sport and, eventually, the weather.

My main reason for moving is to get married and raise a family - I honestly wouldn't want to try to raise a kid in my bit of the UK.

As you say, life is short and these things should be tried so, go fer it!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:28 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Can you ???????

Hi
We too have only been using this site for a short time but already found some sound advice from some excellent people some of whom we met yesterday on our first meet which I arranged (with a little help).

We are also with you on the committment side we have never been to Oz before either and my other half is a nurse and needs to get work in one of the hospitals there. We have 2 yound girls (9 and nearly 1) so we are also scared. :scared:

But on the other hand we have the opportunity to go and we are going!!! We do not want to be in the same situation as Rich's parents and a lot of other people in the UK that wish they had done it and didn't. No regrets wanted. We too are hoping to be out next year to Brisbane. Tell Debs she can enrol in the Ladies drinking club.

We have friends that have been out there for 2 weeks now so we will be going to the same area as them.

On your question about storgae companies we have had quotes from PSS. They seem very reasonable. We had quotes for full and half containers cos again we aren't sure whether to take out all our things. You can reach them on www.planned-storage.co.uk.

Hope this helps, what area are you from newcomer??

Ang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.