Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hi..anyone got any views on rockingham?

hi..anyone got any views on rockingham?

Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

chatty66 will become famous soon enoughchatty66 will become famous soon enough
Default hi..anyone got any views on rockingham?

also surrounding areas..ie safety bay , waikiki etc..thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi..anyone got any views on rockingham?

I have lovely views of Rockingham from right outside my windows.... what did you want to know?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie007
I have lovely views of Rockingham from right outside my windows.... what did you want to know?
hi... coming over soon.. went to see rockingham and areas... really liked it but have heard some negative things about it.. just wanted to hear from someone who lives there....
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You will hear negative things about any area...

we like it here, the kids are ok in school and the beach is an excellent one for pommie swimmers (ie not too strong). Everything you need is here... cinema, shops, train station to city (if you need the city) ... Easy reach of everything... Mandurah is a short drive which is nice too...

The shopping centre is still underdevelopment so is a bit crap at the moment, for serious shopping you can go into perth... make a day of it... costs next to nothing on the train...

If you want little england rather than little britain there are a couple of private schools...

There are some pockets of wealth and some pockets of relative poverty/social deprevation, just as you get everywhere, but I don't know of any 'no go' areas at all...

I think the biggest criticism I have heard is that there are too many pomms, but as I said before and will say again, I'm a pomm so that doesn't bother me.. to be honest I haven't met any myself...

Still relatively cheap to buy/ rent

Warnbro seems nice, port kennedy stikes me as a little soulless.... but is very 'nice' too...
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

You will hear negative things about any area...

we like it here, the kids are ok in school and the beach is an excellent one for pommie swimmers (ie not too strong). Everything you need is here... cinema, shops, train station to city (if you need the city) ... Easy reach of everything... Mandurah is a short drive which is nice too...

The shopping centre is still underdevelopment so is a bit crap at the moment, for serious shopping you can go into perth... make a day of it... costs next to nothing on the train...

If you want little england rather than little britain there are a couple of private schools...

There are some pockets of wealth and some pockets of relative poverty/social deprevation, just as you get everywhere, but I don't know of any 'no go' areas at all...

I think the biggest criticism I have heard is that there are too many pomms, but as I said before and will say again, I'm a pomm so that doesn't bother me.. to be honest I haven't met any myself...

Still relatively cheap to buy/ rent

Warnbro seems nice, port kennedy stikes me as a little soulless.... but is very 'nice' too...
thanks eddie.. so good to hear from an insider so to speak.. as you say everyone has a comment..usually bad about most places...i must say that the house prices look very good... thanks again..
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough

Rockinham has quite a bad reputation, some of it justified, some of it not.

It suffers from being too close to the Kwinana strip industrial zone and is too full olf Poms

Safety Bay is a nice, quiet area.

The arrival of the railway should galvanise the area and property prices tho the areais prime "mortgage-belt" territory which will suffer from any further interest rate increases...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rockingham has quite a 'bad' reputation?

That's fine by me, keep the myth alive and kicking and keep the influx of people who realise that it is residual snobishness that keeps the hoards away from the place nowadays rather than any 'actual' problems that are worse than anywhere else...

I love the area because you get some real people here, you know the ones who are not cashed up pomms in their $60k 4x4 wanting ticky tacky boxes ... (apologies to those with 60k 4x4 who are not cashed up pomms...)

As for suffering from being too close to the Kwinana strip industrial zone.... get a life.... some of us have to work! (Including my Husband who actually works in Kwinana)... stop the front page, a person having to work for a living in manual trades no less.... quelle horrah! what shall we do?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Rockingham has quite a 'bad' reputation?

That's fine by me, keep the myth alive and kicking and keep the influx of people who realise that it is residual snobishness that keeps the hoards away from the place nowadays rather than any 'actual' problems that are worse than anywhere else...

I love the area because you get some real people here, you know the ones who are not cashed up pomms in their $60k 4x4 wanting ticky tacky boxes ... (apologies to those with 60k 4x4 who are not cashed up pomms...)

As for suffering from being too close to the Kwinana strip industrial zone.... get a life.... some of us have to work! (Including my Husband who actually works in Kwinana)... stop the front page, a person having to work for a living in manual trades no less.... quelle horrah! what shall we do?
well I'm a hairstylist..so no horror at service or manual trades!!!..sounds like a marmite place...'love it or hate it'...is there plenty going on..good social life etc... thanks for the info..its a great help..buy the way what are ticky tacky boxes?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chatty66
buy the way what are ticky tacky boxes?
Little Boxes
by Malvina Reynolds

Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of tickytacky
Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses all went to the university
Where they were put in boxes and they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and there's lawyers, and business executives

And they all play on the golf course and drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children and the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp and then to the university
Where they are put in boxes and they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business and marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:01 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Little Boxes
by Malvina Reynolds

Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of tickytacky
Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one

And the people in the houses all went to the university
Where they were put in boxes and they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and there's lawyers, and business executives

And they all play on the golf course and drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children and the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp and then to the university
Where they are put in boxes and they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business and marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.
God I hate that song - it brings back memories of being made to sing it every week in music at school - that and Downtown (Pet Clark song), over and over and over!!!!:curseamn that music teacher !!!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But it so bootifully sums up the Australian Dream....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the first time I've ever heard of someone else knowing that song We used to sing it all the time. Still do, when I'm driving past some housing estates
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chatty66
also surrounding areas..ie safety bay , waikiki etc..thanks
Rockingham is a great area, I grew up there and lived there for over 30 years. When my family moved there the population was 5000, I think now it is near 90,000 or more. The only suburbs were Rockingham itself, Shoalwater, Saftey bay Warnbro, Waikiki, and Rockingham Park which was just being developed. Baldivis was all rural, market gardens, Dairy Farms etc. The only way to Perth was up Stock Rd to Canning High Way. The main shopping centre was the Arcade, on the beach front, which consisted of woolies and about 7 or 8 other stores, infact that was just being built when we moved there. Thats gone now and there is a 9 storey apartment building there. Mum and Dad owned a tea rooms and bakery on the beach front, its gone now as well and there is an 8 storey apartment block in its place. It was a great place back then, I have heaps of fantastic memories growing up there and its an even better place now, very, very under-rated but people are starting to catch on. It really isn't that close to the industrial strip, that all depends on where in Rockingham you live. Any property along the coast including the ones nearest the 'Industrial' area command very high prices, so ignore the industrial slurs. I live in Kwinana (the town) now and I get the same thing about how close this town is to the industrial strip from people who have never lived here let alone visited the area. Its actually quite a long way away you can't see any industry or smell any industry from Kwinana Town.

Sorry I'm rambling!!

Russ
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's the first time I've ever heard of someone else knowing that song We used to sing it all the time. Still do, when I'm driving past some housing estates
It used to be on Junior Choice on saturday morning radio... along with that song about the bubble car overtaking the limosine... and all the rolf harris you could shake a stick at and Puff the Magic Dragon...

Come to think of it, perhaps that is how I developed my pet hatred of new housing estates where the middle classes go to die... and why I drive a 1982 Toyota Corolla...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:58 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

I dont have a view of Rockingham anymore and im soooooooooooo happy!
Its not called Poms paradise for nothing,maybe Hoons heaven or Scally Alley after dark.
Its not the worst place in WA but its just slightly after Northbridge on the police radar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.