Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hi any one know mackay area?

hi any one know mackay area?

Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:27 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hi any one know mackay area?

Originally Posted by LINDZI
hi he is a Cad Draftsman at the moment he designs Tesco delivery vans! and he has done other things in engineering xx
always short of engineers here too...especially within the mining industry.

If u copy and paste that link it will work
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
always short of engineers here too...especially within the mining industry.

If u copy and paste that link it will work
thanks for that i have been looking at the schools thanksxx
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:29 pm

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2005197039 in Mackay

this is way over priced im my books........our block is bigger...house is bigger and we have a sea view, cost $325k to build

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2005155819 this is in Yeppoon
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:58 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

I've lived in Mackay on a couple of ocassions for a total of maybe 3 years. I think there must be 2 towns of the same name in Qld !!

It is not an industrial town. It has an industrial estate like all other large Qld provincial towns ( I wouldnt include places like yeppoon in that list as they are much smaller).

It is mainly a sugar cane town, and is a traditional Qld town in many respects.

Its not a mining town either. There are coal mines at Moranbah, Tieri etc . These towns are a couple of hours drive from Mackay. Its not like a mining set up in UK. No coal dust blowing across Mackays many beaches!

Lots of locals work in the mines and earn really good money eg. more Holden HSVs are sold there per capita than in any other town or city in Qld, mostly to cashed up 18 years olds!

The town is very tropical and has a mix of housing, traditional and new brick and tile. Not really heard of much crime there and its a good place for families.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Del Boy
I've lived in Mackay on a couple of ocassions for a total of maybe 3 years. I think there must be 2 towns of the same name in Qld !!

It is not an industrial town. It has an industrial estate like all other large Qld provincial towns ( I wouldnt include places like yeppoon in that list as they are much smaller).

It is mainly a sugar cane town, and is a traditional Qld town in many respects.

Its not a mining town either. There are coal mines at Moranbah, Tieri etc . These towns are a couple of hours drive from Mackay. Its not like a mining set up in UK. No coal dust blowing across Mackays many beaches!

Lots of locals work in the mines and earn really good money eg. more Holden HSVs are sold there per capita than in any other town or city in Qld, mostly to cashed up 18 years olds!

The town is very tropical and has a mix of housing, traditional and new brick and tile. Not really heard of much crime there and its a good place for families.
can I ask when u last lived in Mackay ?
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:08 pm

thanks do you have children?if you have have they settled?

yes I have 2 kids 9 & 10 they love it here and settled straight away, went to a school the same size as the one back in Scotland so they were more than happy
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:15 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by biggy
can I ask when u last lived in Mackay ?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Del Boy
cheers as I said I personally didnt like it, researched it loads before we went and it just didnt live up to our expectations....we were very dissapointed in it.....but hay ho thats life I spose. My hubby went there in ohhhh 1990 si he noticed a huge change as u would expect ....they have also just finished the new marina.....which is pretty ugly also...high rise arty farty bright coloured buildings
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

The Mackay Mob will become famous soon enoughThe Mackay Mob will become famous soon enough

hi there my partner has been offered a job in Mackay and i wondered does any one know the area or live near there?any info would be brill thanks xxx
We are in Mackay now.
It is not an industrial city, nor is it full of tourists. There is a stretch of road along the Bruce Highway with some low budget accommodation for people travelling through, but not generally for touristy types.

Our kids love it here, there is no shortage of things for them to do at very reasonable rates. Plenty of excellent beaches too.
Houses quite expensive due to highly paid mine workers causing prices to inflate.
Schools - can't comment on secondary but can give suggestions for primary.

However it is hot, do not consider a house without aircon. If you have kids many houses have pools, you can't swim in the sea in the summertime in North Queensland due to stingers.