Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi - another newbie

Hi - another newbie

Old Sep 15th 2006, 6:53 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Hi - another newbie

Just to say hello to everyone,

I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now and my OH has been posting here for a while.

We're (me, husband, kids aged 7 and 5) from Old Windsor, Berkshire hoping to move to Queensland eventually, just had our medicals today and all went OK. My cousin (assurer) also had his Centrelink interview today and hopefully if all went well with that it should be the usual 4-12 week wait to hear.

Anyway the advice so far has been great and I'm looking forward to joining in a bit more now it seems more of a reality.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi - another newbie

Originally Posted by rebnatoli

I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now and my OH has been posting here for a while.

We're (me, husband, kids aged 7 and 5) from Old Windsor, Berkshire hoping to move to Queensland eventually, just had our medicals today and all went OK. My cousin (assurer) also had his Centrelink interview today and hopefully if all went well with that it should be the usual 4-12 week wait to hear.

Anyway the advice so far has been great and I'm looking forward to joining in a bit more now it seems more of a reality.
Welcome to the forum - and good luck with the visa process.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Just want to say good luck with it all!!!!!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:21 am
Just Joined

kempyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I also am using a cousin as an assuer, can you tell me what your cousin had to do? Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:36 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

My cousin had to attend a 1/2 hour interview at Centrelink, taking 3 years tax records to prove his earnings. They made sure he was aware of his responsibilities and checked his paperwork and was then given a verbal OK. I think it was quite relaxed. Next step will be a letter requesting him to lodge the bond.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 7:24 am
Just Joined

My cousin had to attend a 1/2 hour interview at Centrelink, taking 3 years tax records to prove his earnings. They made sure he was aware of his responsibilities and checked his paperwork and was then given a verbal OK. I think it was quite relaxed. Next step will be a letter requesting him to lodge the bond.
Thanks. I hope my cousin is all okay with this as he is worried abt being responsible for us all, yet i have asssured him he has no need to worry. Its hard and frustrating being so far away and the waiting is driving me nuts. Did u use an agent?
Old Sep 20th 2006, 7:32 am
Just enjoying being here

Know how you feel! We did use an agent and yes my cousin was very nervous about his responsibilities even though we would never ask him for a penny! I've only met him once so its hard for him to know. We have come to an arrangement where we will put a sum of money into an account to be kept for 2 years until his responsibilities are over (this is in addition to giving him the bond money) its made him happier and we have no other choice!!!

After all this my OHs job is back on the skills in demand list so we could have avoided all this anyway!
Old Sep 20th 2006, 8:53 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum. Not long until you get your visa's granted hopefully - I think we got ours within two weeks of the Centrelink interview.

I'm originally from very near your neck of the woods - I grew up in Egham.

Nicky
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:32 am
Just enjoying being here

Hi Nicky,

its a small world... I was standing next to someone in the playground yesterday - never spoken to her before and turns out she is hoping to be off to Brisbane soon! I'm just wondering if there will be any Aussies there!

Rebecca
Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:30 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicky,

its a small world... I was standing next to someone in the playground yesterday - never spoken to her before and turns out she is hoping to be off to Brisbane soon! I'm just wondering if there will be any Aussies there!

Rebecca
There probably are! We've been getting shipping quotes and one of the Reps said he'd been to see four families in our village, all of whom are emigrating to Oz!!! Once you get talking, it seems everyone is either emigrating to Oz, planning to emigrate to Oz, or knows someone who is emigrating to Oz!!!
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

Hello all Newbie again
Lee and Leanne from manchester. Half way through visa just finish and sent off my skilled assessment(how much paper work is there) hoping to be in australia early next year.We haven't a clue where to start mybe go where the work is Thats if we get in lol!.

Last edited by chippie74; Sep 20th 2006 at 4:34 pm. Reason: saying hello
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hello and good luck with it all
Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Hi - another newbie

Know how you feel! We did use an agent and yes my cousin was very nervous about his responsibilities even though we would never ask him for a penny! I've only met him once so its hard for him to know. We have come to an arrangement where we will put a sum of money into an account to be kept for 2 years until his responsibilities are over (this is in addition to giving him the bond money) its made him happier and we have no other choice!!!

After all this my OHs job is back on the skills in demand list so we could have avoided all this anyway!
I know what you mean, sounds like u were in the same situation as we are now. I also have only met my cousin once although we do stay in touch via mail some times. Like you we have thought about giving him the bond money afterwards just as assurance really for him. Whats even harder is that you can go through everything and they dont contact the assurer until the last thing, so I'm kind of worried my cousin will back out of it. I am going across to Aus in Jan so hopefully i can convince him he doesn't have to worry about providing for us. I have had to use my uncle as a sponsor too, which this proved hard work as he also was worried that he had to provide for us. What a nightmare Anyway all I can do is sit and wait, sometimes my agent needs a kick up the backside, honestly How are things going now that your cousin had his interview?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:27 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

rebnatoli - OH

It took nearly a year to persuade our uncle to sponsor us, and our cousin to assure us.

They don't really know us, and we've only meet twice. The forms make the sponsor liable to give you shelter for the first two years, and the assuror has unlimited liablities if you read the forms. Scary forms, and centrelink don't help with the 'Are you sure that you understand what you are signing speeches'

Convincing them that we would never make a claim against them was the difficult thing, and in the end we have given a surety amount to the cousin to cover 3 times the bond as a sign of good faith.

Last edited by datamile; Sep 25th 2006 at 10:42 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Babs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of lightBabs59 is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya, not sure if I am replying correctly as this is the first time I've done it. I am on the Gold Coast in Queensland, have the British Shop there, selling British groceries and sweets. My husband and I emigrated in 1968 and four children and grandchildren later, we are still here. I know Windsor both my Aussie born daughters have lived and worked there my brother lives at Bracknell which isnt far away. We love Windsor its a beautiful place. Although we have been here for yers I still get homesick for England, certain things I miss, not material things as such..but I guess wherever we are in the world we are Brits through and through. We (through the shop) have met and made some wonderful friends and we often have a BBQ or picnic, getting the newbies to meet the oldies so to speak so when you get here give us a call.
meanwhile hopefully we can keep in touch. If you need anything or want to know anything just ask.
Take care regards Barb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.