British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Hi all, we're finally here ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hi-all-were-finally-here-306242/)

joveazey Jun 1st 2005 12:57 pm

Hi all, we're finally here !

Hi,

We have been in Perth for 3 weeks on Saturday and thought I'd better let you know how things are going. Singapore was good stayed at the Shangri La Rasa Sentosa. Didn't get to see much of the city due to the fact that Mark was paranoid cos all the people kept touching Flynn and at one shopping mall a lady even got her little boy to come and kiss his hand ! Found out it's supposed to be for luck as he is blonde and blue eyed. Mark's paranoia wasn't helped much by a girl at the pool who said that she'd heard that the Triads stole blonde children and cut off their arms and legs and ate them. We never actually ventured off the island after that ! (not through want of trying on my part). We arrived on Friday 13th :scared: at 11.45pm at Perth airport. Mark managed to get bitten by 20 million mossies in Singapore and one of the bites got infected so by the time we landed in Perth he couldn't walk. Great when you've got 6 cases, 3 hand luggage bags, a car seat and a whinging child with a wet bum ! Anyway, the girl at the airport was fab and whisked us through, slight problem at customs as Flynn (with only a nappy and a top on in his buggy as wet trousers) was eating an apple which came from Singapore, NOT ALLOWED ! Had to bribe him to get rid of it (give it to the nice man or he will tell you off). Got to Mark's sisters and by Sunday were visiting about 6 home opens (all crap). decided to rent on Monday morning and found somewhere in Greenwood (where sis inlaw lives) by 11am ! 3 bed house, nice garden $200 per week - thank you very much. Stayed at sis in laws till Friday (thought we'd better, she was expecting us for about a month) and then moved out ! At rental for 1 1/2 weeks and found house which we have now bought in Kingsley. We move in on the 24th June. Got to now sort out all utilities etc. again. Bought cars before we arrived so are WELL SORTED! Anyway, love it here invites are overflowing and had a great weekend at various peoples houses watching sunset etc. etc. Mark was supposed to start work Monday but woke up in middle of night on Sunday unable to move, thought was paralysed etc. (drama queen) but found that he had crushed vertabrae in neck (nothing to do with me before you ask). Been to chiropractor twice this week and should start work next week. I am going riding tomorrow at - wait for it - Ron's Riding Ranch in Wanneroo with my two friends from school who live here too. Got my nails done last week, not the best but much cheaper than at home. Have ordered a tv etc from Good Guys, ended up with $500 discount. It's great here I have ordered loads of furniture and just said, "can I give you $200 now and come and pay the rest when I want it delivered ?" No probs !! Can you imagine doing that in John Lewis ???? :D Anyway, must go as have wine to drink and stuff. Hope to meet some of those Perth ladies soon !!

Jo
xxx

moneypenny20 Jun 1st 2005 1:16 pm

Re: Hi all, we're finally here !

So you're not enjoying yourself much then :D Sounds like hubby is higher maintenance than child but sure he is lovely :D

Look forward to more updates.

Anne4Terry Jun 1st 2005 1:58 pm

Re: Hi all, we're finally here !

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi,

We have been in Perth for 3 weeks on Saturday and thought I'd better let you know how things are going. Singapore was good stayed at the Shangri La Rasa Sentosa. Didn't get to see much of the city due to the fact that Mark was paranoid cos all the people kept touching Flynn and at one shopping mall a lady even got her little boy to come and kiss his hand ! Found out it's supposed to be for luck as he is blonde and blue eyed. Mark's paranoia wasn't helped much by a girl at the pool who said that she'd heard that the Triads stole blonde children and cut off their arms and legs and ate them. We never actually ventured off the island after that ! (not through want of trying on my part). We arrived on Friday 13th :scared: at 11.45pm at Perth airport. Mark managed to get bitten by 20 million mossies in Singapore and one of the bites got infected so by the time we landed in Perth he couldn't walk. Great when you've got 6 cases, 3 hand luggage bags, a car seat and a whinging child with a wet bum ! Anyway, the girl at the airport was fab and whisked us through, slight problem at customs as Flynn (with only a nappy and a top on in his buggy as wet trousers) was eating an apple which came from Singapore, NOT ALLOWED ! Had to bribe him to get rid of it (give it to the nice man or he will tell you off). Got to Mark's sisters and by Sunday were visiting about 6 home opens (all crap). decided to rent on Monday morning and found somewhere in Greenwood (where sis inlaw lives) by 11am ! 3 bed house, nice garden $200 per week - thank you very much. Stayed at sis in laws till Friday (thought we'd better, she was expecting us for about a month) and then moved out ! At rental for 1 1/2 weeks and found house which we have now bought in Kingsley. We move in on the 24th June. Got to now sort out all utilities etc. again. Bought cars before we arrived so are WELL SORTED! Anyway, love it here invites are overflowing and had a great weekend at various peoples houses watching sunset etc. etc. Mark was supposed to start work Monday but woke up in middle of night on Sunday unable to move, thought was paralysed etc. (drama queen) but found that he had crushed vertabrae in neck (nothing to do with me before you ask). Been to chiropractor twice this week and should start work next week. I am going riding tomorrow at - wait for it - Ron's Riding Ranch in Wanneroo with my two friends from school who live here too. Got my nails done last week, not the best but much cheaper than at home. Have ordered a tv etc from Good Guys, ended up with $500 discount. It's great here I have ordered loads of furniture and just said, "can I give you $200 now and come and pay the rest when I want it delivered ?" No probs !! Can you imagine doing that in John Lewis ???? :D Anyway, must go as have wine to drink and stuff. Hope to meet some of those Perth ladies soon !!

Jo
xxx

Really enjoyed reading this as it looks as if you are doing exactly the same thing as us but a year in advanced. We sent our TRA off 7/4/05 and hope to go to Perth on a 138 sponsored. What trade did you apply under?

Anne