Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi All, a few questions please

Hi All, a few questions please

Old May 25th 2006, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Ransom will become famous soon enoughRansom will become famous soon enough
Default Hi All, a few questions please

hi all finally found a busy forum / information site where hopefully i can get some questions answered.

My girlfriend and myself have just had a little baby (3months ago)
we would both like to move to australia as we are living with my parents. Not straight away but maybe in 1 or 2 years time. as bringing up out baby would benifit him much more than england.

Im 26 and my g/f is 20. we have no family outside of the uk, neither of us have a trade listed on that needed list (telesales / shop retail)

i understand that a certain ammount of points are required to be allowed to move there.

my current cituation is i work full time in a Telesales office selling food that is then distributed around the country. (im first point of call take the order process it etc)

my G/f does not work right now as she is looking after the baby, but her previous job was selling bed linen in a retail shop.

i do not have any family in oz or any work place that i know about to goto.

so other than knowing a fair bit about computers (self taught knoledge) and being confident / good dealing with customers and sales i do not have any trades or qualifications to name.

would we still qualify or be even able to apply?
i would plan on saving up about £5 > 10,000 before moving if we could

and if possible i did manage to move over there and get myself a job. would a mortgage be viable for someone coming from the UK?

long post i know sorry about all this, but this seem the only place i can get my questions answered.

many thanks in advance to any replys
Old May 25th 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hi All, a few questions please

Originally Posted by Ransom
hi all finally found a busy forum / information site where hopefully i can get some questions answered.

we would both like to move to australia as we are living with my parents. Not straight away but maybe in 1 or 2 years time. as bringing up out baby would benifit him much more than england.

Im 26 and my g/f is 20. we have no family outside of the uk, neither of us have a trade listed on that needed list (telesales / shop retail)

i understand that a certain ammount of points are required to be allowed to move there.

my current cituation is i work full time in a Telesales office selling food that is then distributed around the country. (im first point of call take the order process it etc)

my G/f does not work right now as she is looking after the baby, but her previous job was selling bed linen in a retail shop.

so other than knowing a fair bit about computers (self taught knoledge) and being confident / good dealing with customers and sales i do not have any trades or qualifications to name.

and if possible i did manage to move over there and get myself a job. would a mortgage be viable for someone coming from the UK?

long post i know sorry about all this, but this seem the only place i can get my questions answered.

Hi,if I were you I would get on to an agent for their advice,there is a lot of folks on here who could answer your questions better than me but you should post this on immigration as well,good luck Cheers Dave
Old May 25th 2006, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Best advise I can give is to get enrolled and learn something. You will have little chance on the skills you currently have. To qualify you will need to have a trade or profession on the SOL - Skilled Occupation List which can be found here

It could take a while, but if you are determined and don't give up then you will get there.
Old May 25th 2006, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Ransom will become famous soon enoughRansom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,if I were you I would get on to an agent for their advice,there is a lot of folks on here who could answer your questions better than me but you should post this on immigration as well,good luck Cheers Dave

hi thanks for the replies, could you point me in the direction of Immigration
Old May 25th 2006, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

hi thanks for the replies, could you point me in the direction of Immigration

Here you go hun

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32
Old May 25th 2006, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Probably worth a shout.

I was a London cabbie in the UK and unfortunately my trade isn't on the SOL list mentioned ... ... but I am here now on a Student Visa.

My aim is to apply for Permanent Residency after my studies and it IS viable.

This is without doubt the biggest risk me and my family (plus dog) will EVER take as there simply isn't any guarantee of success, but we're all here now as I say giving it our best shot!

It's expensive as Australia will give you nothing while your here, but the worst case scenario is we'll have 2.2 years in what we ALL think is a bloody wonderful country, and then have to leave if it doesn't work out. We return to the UK to obtain whatever it is we're missing, and then return at a later date.

it's too long winded to go into detail, but if it seems at all like something you'd consider by all means send me a Personal Message and I'll explain the rest.

Good luck with whatever you decide! ...
Old May 25th 2006, 1:21 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic

it's too long winded to go into detail, but if it seems at all like something you'd consider by all means send me a Personal Message and I'll explain the rest.

Ramson,

Paul has overcome so many obstacles to get to Oz, he deserves a medal (although I suspect he'll settle for residency!) It isn't going to be easy given your skills aren't on crucial list, but if you're determined, you can do it......just ask Paul! I'd speak to a good agent to understand what your options are.

Nicky
Old May 25th 2006, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Probably worth a shout.

I was a London cabbie in the UK and unfortunately my trade isn't on the SOL list mentioned ... ... but I am here now on a Student Visa.

My aim is to apply for Permanent Residency after my studies and it IS viable.

This is without doubt the biggest risk me and my family (plus dog) will EVER take as there simply isn't any guarantee of success, but we're all here now as I say giving it our best shot!

It's expensive as Australia will give you nothing while your here, but the worst case scenario is we'll have 2.2 years in what we ALL think is a bloody wonderful country, and then have to leave if it doesn't work out. We return to the UK to obtain whatever it is we're missing, and then return at a later date.

Was going to say something like this Paul, but since they don't want to move out there for one or two years then aren't they best getting their qualifications here. It will be cheaper in the long run, as you know you have to pay international fees in Australia, whereas here they may be able to get some funding.
Old May 25th 2006, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WendyC
Was going to say something like this Paul, but since they don't want to move out there for one or two years then aren't they best getting their qualifications here. It will be cheaper in the long run, as you know you have to pay international fees in Australia, whereas here they may be able to get some funding.
I guess the work experience bit is the prob really. Most trade jobs will need 6/7 years to get thru the TRA, other fields none, but will prob cost a lot more to do in the first place.

As we speak your exempt from it if you have an Oz qualification, but that 'might' be changing ?!?!

I guess we're here as we'd rather study here, and if it comes to it gain our work experience here too.

As I say, it can all work out quite expensive, but tis our only shot at it so worth a go in our books ...
Old May 25th 2006, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess the work experience bit is the prob really. Most trade jobs will need 6/7 years to get thru the TRA, other fields none, but will prob cost a lot more to do in the first place.

As we speak your exempt from it if you have an Oz qualification, but that 'might' be changing ?!?!

I guess we're here as we'd rather study here, and if it comes to it gain our work experience here too.

As I say, it can all work out quite expensive, but tis our only shot at it so worth a go in our books ...

Ay, agree totally hun. That's why they really need to speak to an agent to get the best forward. But they need to make sure it's a good agent who will give them sound advise.

Me personally, I would do whatever I had to, like you have. I'm lucky my OH's profession made it on to the MODL last year or I would have had no chance either or so the agent would have us believe