British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Hi All, Anyone moving Brit Navy to Aus Civvy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hi-all-anyone-moving-brit-navy-aus-civvy-750773/)

jk simbob Mar 6th 2012 1:49 pm

Hi All, Anyone moving Brit Navy to Aus Civvy?

Hi all,
This is my first dip into the forum although i have had my eye on it for a few months now whilst thinking about emigrating. Big call out for help to any ex servicemen/women (particularly RN) who are taking the plunge straight from the service into civvy street in OZ (Not lateral tx into ADF).
I am having major probs getting my 22years of RN trade skills to match any on the SOL....anyone else having or had this problem??

Would love to hear the views and experiences from any of you out there who have taken this big, double step from UK Military to Aussie Civvy...

Look forward to some helpful replies. Cheers. :thumbup:

Pollyana Mar 6th 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Hi All, Anyone moving Brit Navy to Aus Civvy?

Originally Posted by jk simbob (Post 9938715)
Hi all,
This is my first dip into the forum although i have had my eye on it for a few months now whilst thinking about emigrating. Big call out for help to any ex servicemen/women (particularly RN) who are taking the plunge straight from the service into civvy street in OZ (Not lateral tx into ADF).
I am having major probs getting my 22years of RN trade skills to match any on the SOL....anyone else having or had this problem??

Would love to hear the views and experiences from any of you out there who have taken this big, double step from UK Military to Aussie Civvy...

Look forward to some helpful replies. Cheers. :thumbup:

Have a chat to this guy (but if you do it today don't mention football :rofl:) - ROMFT_WO2RN

Cookster Mar 7th 2012 12:15 am

Hello....
We moved to Australia in 2006 from Portsmouth. The day my husband left the RN after 24 years, we fly to Adelaide. Spent a year there and then moved up to Hervey Bay in Queensland and have never looked back.
Hubby was CPOMEA in RN and found it very frustrating the whole skills assesment thing. He actually got accepted as a fitter and turner, something that he did in his training 20 years previously!!!!

Drop me a line with any questions and I`ll ask him, always happy to help.
Angela

commonwealth Mar 7th 2012 1:20 am

Why wouldn't ADF not want you? I thought they're pirating RN sailors?

perfectpaula Mar 7th 2012 4:08 am

My hubby did 22 years in RN as CPOMEA before we moved out to Oz. We got our visas on my nursing qualifications. Hubby has found it quite hard to get the Navy qualifications moved into civvy street. Not easy but worth it in the end. Australia is wonderful.

jk simbob Mar 7th 2012 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9939486)
Have a chat to this guy (but if you do it today don't mention football :rofl:) - ROMFT_WO2RN

Hi Pollyana,

Already worked out that ROMFT could be useful to help me just by reading other posts and have already dropped him a line.

Thanks!

jk simbob Mar 7th 2012 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Cookster (Post 9939858)
Hello....
We moved to Australia in 2006 from Portsmouth. The day my husband left the RN after 24 years, we fly to Adelaide. Spent a year there and then moved up to Hervey Bay in Queensland and have never looked back.
Hubby was CPOMEA in RN and found it very frustrating the whole skills assesment thing. He actually got accepted as a fitter and turner, something that he did in his training 20 years previously!!!!

Drop me a line with any questions and I`ll ask him, always happy to help.
Angela

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the message and the offer of help. I think the points system has changed lots since 2006 but still not good to hear that your OH had trouble converting skills back then. Good to hear that you are loving it out there though!

jk simbob Mar 7th 2012 11:42 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 9939929)
Why wouldn't ADF not want you? I thought they're pirating RN sailors?

Hi commonwealth,

You are right, the RAN are "pirating" RN tech sailors. Having spent 22yrs in the RN, the thought of spending 1 more minute on a lump of grey steel sends a shiver down my spine. Time to venture into the big wide world........hopefully in Oz!

Pollyana Mar 7th 2012 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jk simbob (Post 9940468)
Hi Pollyana,

Already worked out that ROMFT could be useful to help me just by reading other posts and have already dropped him a line.

Thanks!

:thumbup: he's a good bloke, lovely family too :) Currently on holiday over here so he's not been on much but I think they fly back to the UK soon.

jk simbob Mar 7th 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9940481)
:thumbup: he's a good bloke, lovely family too :) Currently on holiday over here so he's not been on much but I think they fly back to the UK soon.

I assume he still lives in the UK then and hasn't moved to OZ yet then?

Pollyana Mar 7th 2012 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jk simbob (Post 9940485)
I assume he still lives in the UK then and hasn't moved to OZ yet then?

Got their visas, and moving soon I believe - they got the visas sooner than expected so had to come out and validate before moving,