Reload this Page >

HGV drivers I need your advice for jobs 2016

HGV drivers I need your advice for jobs 2016

Old Mar 19th 2016, 2:32 am
Just Joined

silpar75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HGV drivers I need your advice for jobs 2016

Hi there!

I am an HGV truck driver with 4 years experience in UK and Europe, and 2 years experience in New Zealand, where I currently live and work. I love NZ, however the NZ dollar is really low (again) . They do not pay much either around here despite the shortage of drivers, being the local kiwi drivers the main reason for it. They despise Unions and accept spending their break working, and not considering the loading and unloading that they do themselves as part of the 13 hours drive time. They think they are hard workers, they think complaining is for weak people.
The result is bus drivers get paid 15 to 17 NZ dollars an hour and HGV drivers are supposedly paid 18 to 26 NZ dollars an hour but most of them are on salary and the final count of hours gets them 15 an hour if they are lucky. With many years in the same company things get better, slowly.
Except for the big companies, they also have the tradition of paying less to new recruits, even if they have more experienced than current drivers and are doing the same job.

As a transient driver that is using the job to see the world that hurts a bit.

I do not have problems with visas, my husband is a kiwi (did I told you I am a woman? ) so I have a SCV visa pending approval and an easy conversion to the NZ license to the Australian MC because here in NZ I am actually driving a Btrain (only 23 meters long and 50 tonne, but is it considered a HPMP vehicle that equals a MC vehicle in Australia).

My husband has kiwi relatives in Brisbane to give us accommodation while we are looking for a job. I am open to any part of the country but I prefer to drive road trains to keep learning new skills and get a bit of add value to my resume.

I am happy to work hard and deliver an extra mile a day with a smile, but not for peanuts. I am currently working 15 hour days, 5 nights a week driving a B Train for 52,000 NZ dollars per year, that is 25,000 Pounds.

Now starting my second year, boss wants to rise it to 55,000 NZ Dollars. (26,000 Pounds per year). I am planning to cross the ditch.

Sorry for the long introduction, my questions are:

Is there really still a shortage of MC drivers?
Are they still paying reasonable good despite the recession?
Is Queensland a good place to look for a job with my skills or you would suggest another area with greater shortage?
Is it realistic that with 5 years experience in HC and one year with MC some one will give a chance for MC? or should I start by a driving a HC for a start?
Are the job agencies the place to go for a just landed worker or I have chances if I apply directly for the companies?
Many women driving over there? I found it difficult in the South Island of NZ to get a chance.

PS no problem for working with temperatures up to 45 degrees: I am not a British but a Catalan :-P
No problem for sleeping in the truck
No problem with the bugs, though I prefer to be far from spiders.

Your wise advise is most welcome.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HGV drivers I need your advice for jobs 2016

As you have the vusa covered, probably best to ask a mod to nice your post to the main Australia forum where more people will see it. This forum is about getting visas and citizenship, a lot of people reading in here haven't moved to Australia yet so won't be able to help.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Moved
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:46 am
Just Joined

silpar75 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys, I will check better before I post next time!